Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 1:21:17 AM EDT
Well I'm finally doing it, I bought an MKE Z-5P from Atlantic Firearms. It'll be here next week and I want to shoot it immediately before I file the Form 1 on it. I have an Octane .45 that I'm going to use on it, but this is my first H&K and the MP5 is a completely new platform to me. I've done some searching, and it looks like there's some parts I should get for running suppressed, just like tuning an AR-15 for suppressed use.

I'd like to go ahead and order any parts I should use for running suppressed, as well as any spare parts that are good to have around (because even when you're dropping $2,000, saving $5 on shipping is nice).

I understand that I should get a #28 locking piece. Anything else? What are the various locking rollers used for, e.g. -4 through +4? Various springs and such?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a DJ Getz build and shoot the piss out of mine with the stock configuration.  I would try using is stock and see how it runs.  You definitely won't need the rollers.  Stick with the ones you've got.  You only need to change those if your gun becomes out of spec.  That won't happen from shooting suppressed alone.  It's usually a result of a improperly built gun (like we often see with the Century Arms 90 series clones).  It can also happen over time with 1000s upon 1000s of rounds.

I wouldn't bother with the lock piece unless you have issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The general outlook is the #28 LP is suggested when shooting the K models suppressed.
For spares I'd pick up some extractor & ejector lever springs.  Spare extractor and ejector lever too if you want to be OCD about stuff, but they rarely fail.
I was happy to have a spare firing pin spring available after I launched one across the garage while assembling the BCG, I found it two years later inside an old pair of boots - go figure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I suggest getting a divided plastic container, along the lines of this to keep small parts in. You can use a label-maker and make nice labels for it as well. Helps if you have a breakdown out shooting, and can swap parts right back in and keep going.

I recommend a couple extractor springs. I use rifle extractor springs in my 9mm guns, no issues. HKParts

I bought a spare SEF trigger pack, that I verified works on all 3 of my clones. I keep it as a spare, so if I have trigger issues, I can drop the spare in, and not have to waste everyone's time. Also, a #28/80deg locking piece is a good idea if you think you will add a suppressor to your setup.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The #28 LP is for suppressed MP5K's. The standard 100 degree LP for the MP5 will work just fine with a suppressor. I haven't had any parts failures in several thousand rounds fired in my F/A MP5 and MP5K and they are suppressed most of the time.

I keep a well stocked parts kit in the range with:

• ejector lever
• ejector pivot pin
• ejector spring
• extractor
• extractor spring

Still haven't needed them, but they are the most likely to fail from some other folks I've spoken too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed to know. This is a K style gun and will be run suppressed from day one, so I'll go ahead and pick up a #28 LP along with the other small parts. I want to verify function before I send off the SBR paperwork - it'll get a proper K conversion once that comes back. Until then, I can at least shoot it in pistol form without beating up the gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The #28 LP is for suppressed MP5K's. .
View Quote

The MKE Z5-P is essentially their MP5K clone. Took me a sec to realize why they were talking about #28LPs above my first reply.

I have never needed most of my spare parts either- but I always feel good having them on hand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The MKE Z5-P is essentially their MP5K clone. Took me a sec to realize why they were talking about #28LPs above my first reply.

I have never needed most of my spare parts either- but I always feel good having them on hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The #28 LP is for suppressed MP5K's. .

I should have said "MP5K" in my title to alleviate confusion.

Still getting used to H&K nomenclature - this will ultimately be an MP5K-PDW clone. Griffin 3 lug mount is already on the way for my Octane.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice, 3 lug is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Will the #28 locking piece run the gun when it's not suppressed?  Seems like it would be a pain in there ass to keep swapping it out.

Just finished my Getz build, complete with autosear.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will the #28 locking piece run the gun when it's not suppressed?  Seems like it would be a pain in there ass to keep swapping it out.

Just finished my Getz build, complete with autosear.

https://scontent-mia1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11313681_830361667062238_1365610527_n.jpg
View Quote

I've read that on the K, you can use the #28 LP without a suppressor with no ill effect. I'm dedicating my Octane to this gun though, so I doubt I'll ever find out.

Beautiful PDW by the way. Does anyone know which B&T stock is correct for the PDW? I think I'm going that route over the Choate stock. H&K's website shows the one with the sloping center reinforcement, which HKParts lists as "UMP style". If that's UMP style, what's the other one?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
HKParts shows the "UMP" style on sale- and it's a fair price. That is the same as shown on HKs site

The only real difference I can see is the buttpad on the end of the stock. They both have the same B&T part#, but when you go to B&Ts website and look at that part#- they show it without the rubber buttpad. I think that B&T has made a revision and HKParts is blowing out the previous version so they don't have to carry 2 versions of the same SKU in their bins. Likely that HK just hasn't updated the photo of that stock on their website to reflect B&Ts newer version. My guess is the newer version might help stay put with the "aggressive" bumps on the end?

I have the version with the rubber buttpad,Apparently Im an idiot and don't have the rubber butt-pad version, I have the plastic version with the bumps and I love it! Had to special-order it from Wolverine Supplies, and paid over $300 for it, plus a long wait time for them to get some from Switzerland.

ETA: If you look over on the MP5 section of HKParts, they have the same thing going on with the B&T side-folders for the full-size. So I am pretty sure my above theory on why they have 2 diferent stocks is correct.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I can tell you that the one on mine is shorter than the ump style.  Mine also doesn't have rubber anywhere...the back, ribbed part is all plastic.

I thought about it fit a few days before I settled on the short one.  It just seemed to fit with the compactness of the gun more, and it doesn't interfere with anything when folded, including the VFG.  I don't have any experience with the longer one though.

To my knowledge, the longer one was designed for the ump and adapted to fit the k-pdw.  The shorter one I believe was designed from the beginning for the k-pdw, despite what may be on HK's website.  Can't be sure though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I can tell you that the one on mine is shorter than the ump style.  Mine also doesn't have rubber anywhere...the back, ribbed part is all plastic.
View Quote

Yeah, I just went to the safe and looked, I don't have the rubber buttpad version. Im an idiot, and was thinking of my UMP. I have the short, plastic-ribbed version.

If I recall correctly- they used to make 2 different lengths. Or maybe that was due to another revision of the product? I recall members on HKPro talking about how to swap stocks between MP5 and MP5K to end up with the desired LOP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Upon further inspection on HKPro, B&T makes two different lengths. The long one (rubber buttpad, angled center reinforcement),  is about the same length as the Choate stock, while the short is about 1.5" shorter, ribbed instead of having a rubber buttpad, and has a vertical center reinforcement.

The longer of the two is the one that's on sale at HKParts. I wonder if it's being discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe it is, as B&T no longer lists it on their site.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I think you're right. It looks like B&T uses short style on the rifles they manufacture, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just streamlining.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Makes sense. Looking at the big picture for them- how many people care about the 2 different styles of stock? Looks like theyre using that same stock on an MP5 setup as well. So make 1 stock, and pin it on how many different firearms? Understandable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Finally got my Trad adapter to put my Tirant on my AA89K SBR and man it is sweet!  Question on those that have suppressors and have tried the #28 LP, can you actually tell a difference when shooting suppressed, such as noise or recoil impulse?  My gun ran fine minus the last rounds in some surplus HK mags, so I'm debating if getting a #28 LP is fixing something that ain't broke or if it'll help with more than just potential wear and tear.

Any experiences?  I will say the gun was louder than expected shooting 147subs based on reading about them, but I also know I'm holding it inches away from my face vs my pistols held at arms length. I'm wondering how much of this may be port noise and if the #28 will slow down the recoil enough to make an audible difference in that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Finally got my Trad adapter to put my Tirant on my AA89K SBR and man it is sweet!  Question on those that have suppressors and have tried the #28 LP, can you actually tell a difference when shooting suppressed, such as noise or recoil impulse?  My gun ran fine minus the last rounds in some surplus HK mags, so I'm debating if getting a #28 LP is fixing something that ain't broke or if it'll help with more than just potential wear and tear.

Any experiences?  I will say the gun was louder than expected shooting 147subs based on reading about them, but I also know I'm holding it inches away from my face vs my pistols held at arms length. I'm wondering how much of this may be port noise and if the #28 will slow down the recoil enough to make an audible difference in that.
View Quote

When and where did you order your Triad adapter? I'm impatiently waiting on AAC to put them back up on their site (as is everyone else)...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When and where did you order your Triad adapter? I'm impatiently waiting on AAC to put them back up on their site (as is everyone else)...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid it was ordered back in June when they popped up briefly. Best of luck waiting on them to hit the website again, but I mean if they're filling backorders then they have product, so hopefully it's soon for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
They sad OCTOBER over the phone but I don't really believe them too much...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top