Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2015 12:51:54 AM EDT
Hello all,

I got my PTR91F about 2 months ago. I've been both happy and unhappy at the same time. (BTW this is my 2nd HK91 style weapon. I owned Springfield SAR 8 and somewhat familiar with the system)

I researched extensively before purchasing PTR.  I wanted 308 battle rifle and being in a ban state, PTR or CETME clone is the only thing I could possibly get when it comes to HK style rifles.  A real HK is no go here (on 'banned by name' list)

I was not expecting it to shoot MOA all day long with M80 or surplus round but I wanted it to keep a decent grouping at least.

The rifle shoots just fine, ZERO malfunction EXCEPT that the cocking tube endcap will pop out every time I lost the factory PTR end cap so replaced with HK end cap from Robertrtg.com  It still popped out but managed to find it.  Since then  I used a very small nut & bolt to keep it in place. It will still pop out if it weren't for nut & bolt.  Not sure if this has anything to do the accuracy issue. Too much gas perhaps?   Other than this, it shoots fine but not grouping whatever I fed.  The group is not even worth mentioning. It's all over the target @ 100 yard. Say center to center is 10 - 15 inches (Not 3-4) The shooting was done with a scope mounted. Not iron sight

Here's my set up

[*]PTR91F (S/N: AW172XX range)
    [*]Bill Springfield Match trigger pack from HKParts.net (Wanted to keep the factorty as a back up)
    [*]MFI low mount
    [*]Manticore HK muzzle brake
    [*]Burris PEPR 30mm mount with Primary Arms 16X scope (2nd focal)
    [*]Port Buffer
    [*]Bill Springfield Enhanced complete buffer
    [*]Magpul PRS
    [*]Harris Bipod 6-9

Here's what I shot

[*]Federal XM80
    [*]Federal Gold Match 168gr
    [*]Austrian Hirtenberger 146gr
    [*]PMC 308 147gr
    [*]Handload Nosler 150gr w/ 44gr 4064
    [*]Handload Nosler 168gr w/ 40.5gr 4895
    [*]Handload SMK 168gr w/ 42-44gr Varget
    [*]Handload SMK 175gr w/ 41.7gr 4064

Handloads and FGMM shot little better but not by much.  The shootings were done 4-5 different range sessions and probably shot 300rds. The rifle was cleaned after each session.  However I DID NOT perform the break-in procedure per PTR. (Never on any Semi owned)

Here's what I did

[*]I thought bipod stud was touching the barrel somehow so removed and shot with sandbag
    [*]Removed/reinstalled scope mount to spec according to MFI
    [*]Different scope
    [*]Iron sight @ 50 yards (Not zero'ed but was able to hit the target
    [*]checked the bolt gap, good to go
    [*]checked the muzzle brake, seems fine
    [*]Of course good cleaning in and out
    [*]Good old q-tip crown check. Seemed good to me

I'm not a match shooter but I know what I'm doing and a decent shot. I can shoot ARs, K98, M1 Garand...etc 3-4in group with iron sight.  My MK12 clone shoots under MOA with WOA barrel

But I can't figure out what I'm missing with PTR.  I had high expectation for this rifle but pulling my hair out now.  Since it's shooting all over the target I can't even isolate the issue(s)

I researched but no one is having this issue as far as I can tell.  Do i just have a defective rifle and should I contact PTR?  How is their customer service? Do they try to blame on customer first to see if the customer backs out? I don't want my rifle to be lethal-expensive-paper-weight or a wall decoration.  I want it to shoot decent. :41::41:

If anyone experienced something similar, any input/suggestion/opinion would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where you are at in NJ - I own a long range rifle training company (http://bhtcorps.com).   If you want to bring it down to central bucks co. PA (across the river from Trenton) I am willing to take a look at it as a second pair of eyes and print some groups to make sure it's not you.  

PM if interested.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]

I got my PTR91F about 2 months ago. I've been both happy and unhappy at the same time. (BTW this is my 2nd HK91 style weapon. I owned Springfield SAR 8 and somewhat familiar with the system)

I researched extensively before purchasing PTR.  I wanted 308 battle rifle and being in a ban state, PTR or CETME clone is the only thing I could possibly get when it comes to HK style rifles.  A real HK is no go here (on 'banned by name' list)

The rifle shoots just fine, ZERO malfunction EXCEPT that the cocking tube endcap will pop out every time I lost the factory PTR end cap so replaced with HK end cap from Robertrtg.com  It still popped out but managed to find it.  Since then  I used a very small nut & bolt to keep it in place. It will still pop out if it weren't for nut & bolt.  Not sure if this has anything to do the accuracy issue. Too much gas perhaps?   Other than this, it shoots fine but not grouping whatever I fed.  The group is not even worth mentioning. It's all over the target @ 100 yard. Say center to center is 10 - 15 inches (Not 3-4) The shooting was done with a scope mounted. Not iron sight

View Quote

It's not overgassed.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This is disconcerting to read.  I just picked up my PTR-91K last week and am planning on getting some trigger time this week.  I hope you can isolate and/or resolve your accuracy issue, and hopefully it is an isolated case.  PTR should make it right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure where you are at in NJ - I own a long range rifle training company (http://bhtcorps.com).   If you want to bring it down to central bucks co. PA (across the river from Trenton) I am willing to take a look at it as a second pair of eyes and print some groups to make sure it's not you.  

PM if interested.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

PM if interested.

Thanks. PM inbound shortly.

This is disconcerting to read. I just picked up my PTR-91K last week and am planning on getting some trigger time this week. I hope you can isolate and/or resolve your accuracy issue, and hopefully it is an isolated case. PTR should make it right.

I hope your PTR is fine.  I looked hard before pulling the trigger on PTR.  Majority of reviews were very positive. I will contact PTR soon.  Also if you can, can you please give me a feedback on your experience with 91K after initial shooting?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried with iron sights? There are several points of connection between the scope and optic that could be causing some serious accuracy loss like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had to guess, the clamp on pic rail 3would be where i started. Verify with iron sight shooting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I had to guess, the clamp on pic rail 3would be where i started. Verify with iron sight shooting.
View Quote

I did try with iron but never seriously done. I will give it another try. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The shooting was done with a scope mounted. Not iron sight

View Quote

what scope?

what mount?

Try the irons.

check the muzzle device for movement/swipes

if all thats fine, try switching ammo

If that doesnt work call ptr
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
There's  only so much that could affect the groups with so many different types of ammo.  If the bore is clear (no obstructions from pins or flash hiders) and the trunnion is solidly welded to the receiver. That only leaves the trigger pull, optics, and shooter. Mybuddy had a hard time hitting a pie plate at 100 yards so I  recorded him shooting in slo-motion one day. Turned out he was unknowingly closing his eyes just as he pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]

This is unlikely to be the culprit with your setup, but.....if you are having this issue with irons

I had the same issue with a CAI G3.  Drove me nuts to say the least and drained my reloading supplies $$$.  The was no group and no predictability..easy 10"-15" spread at 50yds.

The issue......the muzzle break was bored out at an angle, very slight, but due to the length of the break, the bullets were striking the break on the out

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is unlikely to be the culprit with your setup, but.....if you are having this issue with irons

I had the same issue with a CAI G3.  Drove me nuts to say the least and drained my reloading supplies $$$.  The was no group and no predictability..easy 10"-15" spread at 50yds.

The issue......the muzzle break was bored out at an angle, very slight, but due to the length of the break, the bullets were striking the break on the out

YMMV
View Quote

that could have ended bad
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

PM if interested.
View Quote

Here's a +1 for Fargo. Took a class with him and my buddy and it was a really good time. Methinks he has a soft spot for you brothers behind enemy lines (NJ).
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I have heard plenty of times by ptr owners that when barrel gets hot after as little as 20 rounds that moa goes to hell sometimes by 100%. Poor steel quality? That's just 1 reason an HK 91 is worth 3 times as much....
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here's a +1 for Fargo. Took a class with him and my buddy and it was a really good time. Methinks he has a soft spot for you brothers behind enemy lines (NJ).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM if interested.

Hey!  Thanks for the shout out.   I do have that soft spot, and also one for HK Roller locks.   ;-)
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a recent ptr 91 A3R, and absolutely love it. Its MBR accuarate and with the scope I mounted it shoots as well as any of my big bore automatics. They are not designed for bolt action accuracy but do well when matched with an ammo they like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top