Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:53:34 AM EDT
Bought a pof5 some months ago and after a good cleaning with oiling was time to hit the range. Initial impression of someone who hasn't had any experience with this platform was it seemed very solid, easy to work on, finish was ok, but I was very pleased. Came with 2 pof 30 rd mags (well I bought the second one). First range trip broke down like this

100rds of wwb 115gr
6 failure to eject-casing getting jammed in the chamber or stovepiped with anoth rd trying to feed. had many round kinda dribble out of the gun. Ejection wasn't far at best. Most if not all fte came from mag 2. Prolly should have kept up with it better haha. Noticed the failure started with the drill I was doing after the first mag. From low ready to 2 shots.

100rds of rem bulk hps
No failure through either mag. Was running low on time at this point so no drill, jus straight shooting to test function. Ejections are 5-6 ft 3 o'clock.

I didn't realize at the time that the drill had any implication on my reliability.

Few months and a good cleaning later I was gonna try to get this lined out. Some ppl told me it could be weak underpowered wwb. Done some looking and decided to replace the extractor spring for good measure. Also bought some better ammo. Took a friend/spotter to witness and try to notice something I didn't. Range trip 2 broke down like this:

200 rds of Speer lawman 124gr
1-30 w/ mag1- no fail. Same 2 shot drill
31-60 w- mag2- 1 fail to eject. Follow up shot in same 2 shot drill. We did notice that first shots ejected 5-6 ft 3 o'clock. Only follow up shots were less and only a few dribbled out(all follow up shots)

We used mag two the rest of the time for further testing. We thought a possible limp wrist situation of getting used to the gun and trying to make quicker follow up shots. We're paid more attention to his from there on in. Also noticed a quick 5 shot group all casings were ejected uniformly at 5-6+ ft
60-200 w mag2 no further failures.

This gun is in pistol form for now until proper paperwork is filed. No sling was used. I do think that a stock would remedy this completely. This is going to be a defensive gun once vetted.

Am I over looking anything? Would this be at this point be able to be deamed reliable for defensive purposes? Would a sling for a "push out" method help with stability and in turn help ensure proper ejection every time? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I run WWB in FA all the time with no issues, but it wont run rem green box.  when dealing with clones, some guns prefer different ammo choices so some T/E might help.  

My vote would be the limpwristing (not literally), but it sounds like you are losing some of the energy required to cycle the gun, as exhibited from the varied ejection pattern.  I'd try a sling and the push out method if able or be really conscious abt your shooting style.  A stock would prob fix any issues (with a sear or SBR stamp, of course).

You might be able to place the gun on your hip or something solid and try a few rounds in rapid fire to see if the ejection issue goes away.  Also, definately keep track of the mags and see if one is specifically causing the issue (mag sitting to high and slowing down the carrier speed and therefore slowing down the ejection process).  

This is prob not your issue but:   Take the bolt out.  Can you move the extractor at all with your fingers? place an empty case in the bolthead.  Can easily knock the round out of the bolt head with some side pressure?  there used to be a video called the "zip tie test", when someone pushes on the casing from the side with a ziptie.  If the ziptie can dislodge the empty case, your issue is an oversized bolt or an extractor issue.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for S&B and Geco 9mm online, it is hotter and runs great!

Check SGAmmo, they usually have both in stock
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My PoF 5 chokes on WWB too.  It runs like a sewing machine with anything else including Wolf. I noticed that while shooting WWB the recoil impulse was erratic (I have an SBR). I'd get some rounds that felt like they were barely cycling the bolt and some that felt like they were kicking the bolt back hard.

After my last outing I replaced my Ejector lever with a current gen H&K version and I replaced my extractor spring with a grey H&K rifle spring. I've only ran defensive loads through it to zero it since and it's running fine with PMC 124gr Starfire.

For what it's worth my B&T TP-9 SBR, and IMI Uzi B SBR also choke on WWB. Very disappointing as I stacked the stuff deep last fall and I ended up selling most of it to a pistol shooter at a loss.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My PoF 5 chokes on WWB too.  It runs like a sewing machine with anything else including Wolf.
View Quote

There you go. Sounds like ammo is the first/easiest place to start.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx for all the replies. I'm leaning most to the "limp wrist" and am going to look into if the one mags is dragging on the bolt carrier. Would you consider it reliable for a defensive role in the current state? Would 147 gr ammo possible improve it more?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top