Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2015 1:29:34 AM EDT
I ordered a PTR-32 Gen 2 about 4 months ago and just picked it up from my local FFL about 2 weeks ago. Went out to the range and was a little dissapointed to find out that none of my steel mags worked. I have bulgarian, romanian and korean steel mags. Not even the tapco mags cycled properly. Only magpul mags seemed to work. Other than the mag issue the rifle is 100% and I love it. I just had to stock up on some new magpul mags which I hadn't planned to do. Anyone else with the Gen 2 experience this issue? Mag compatibility was a huge reason for me buying this.

All cycling issues were failure to feed. It seems as if the mags weren't seating high enough in the reciever. The bolt would catch the bullet, then slide over the round and pinch it against the feed ramps. I kept the rounds and can post pictures if anyone wants to seem them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I would try to give PTR a call about that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Try calling Ghilliebear @ Parabellum Customs.

I had a similar issue with my PTR32 PDW and I ended up changing out the locking lever spring.  Made a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My gen II PTR32 runs 100% on Tapco waffle 20s, Hungarian Tanker 20s, Romanian steel surplus 30s and Magpuls. The Tapcos had to be filed down on the sides for an easy fit but they also needed to be filed for my WASR. I only have one but my Hungarian 30 didn't work or my Korean 20.
Seems my feed failures were rounds not coming up high enough and hitting the feed ramp, every failed round had a smashed tip and jammed the projectile into the case.  Feed ramp had a sharp edge so I smoothed it out with a chainsaw file.
I grip the mag when I shoot which I've heard might cause feed issues in certain mags but the ones that didn't work for me wouldn't work even when shooting off a bipod and putting forward pressure on the mag so there's an obvious difference in feed angles here.
The mags that did work couldn't be made to fail no matter how much I moved the mag left to right or back n forth. All mags seemed to have a solid lockup with no play in any direction.
I might try filing the rear lugs on my 'bad' mags just to see if they'll work but if I were the OP I'd send my rifle back and let them try to adjust it.

I really like mine, yes it's heavy and gets hot, but it looks like it's going to be a very accurate shooter, and the more I shoot it the more I like the recoil delay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a gen 1 rifle and gen 1 pistol with top rail  the rifle only like slab side Bulgaria mags the pistol only like waffle Bulgaria mags both don't run on hollow points
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking about picking one of these up for a long while now but the mag issue is concerning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been thinking about picking one of these up for a long while now but the mag issue is concerning.
View Quote

Mine only runs on Tapco, Magpul and promag drums, but I dont care.  I just keep a separate stash of mags, just for the PTR32.  I wouldn't let that keep you from deciding to buy one as Its a great gun!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mine only runs on Tapco, Magpul and promag drums, but I dont care.  I just keep a separate stash of mags, just for the PTR32.  I wouldn't let that keep you from deciding to buy one as Its a great gun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mine runs everything I have, even drums.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I've been doing as well, splitting up my mags between my WASR and my PTR. Anything that doesn't run well in the PTR goes in the AK pile. Most steel mags are a tighter fit than the poly mags so I'm gonna take some of my rougher Romy surplus mags and file em down for a smoother fit. But so far all the surplus Romys I've tried work fine.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top