Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 11:45:44 AM EDT
Didn't see any mentions in the forum about this yet.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/business/article24892882.html

Cliff notes: PTR Inc owes the county $73k in back rent and $80k to four suppliers/businesses.  County doesn't want to evict them since they employ local people but obviously can't be patient forever.

I'd hate to see the end of PTR Inc.    I have an early A-series PTR-91 and just brought home a PTR-32 rifle yesterday.  Nice guns.

Update as provided by Atlantic: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article25505143.html

Things aren't as bad as the first story made them out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
need to have a big sale and start blowing out inventory... I would buy a few...
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang that's a tough one, I like my PTR32.  Hopefully parts won't dry up if they go under
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
need to have a big sale and start blowing out inventory... I would buy a few...
View Quote

Get on CDNN Sports' mailing list. They have sales several times a year. Last sale they had 16" PTR-91 with full length handguards for $799.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I would buy a PTR but they refuse to put the paddle mag on so....
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well I would buy a PTR but they refuse to put the paddle mag on so....
View Quote

So you send it off to Bill Springfield and have one installed.  That's what I did and he did an excellent job.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Their guns seem overpriced and they don't seem to have a lot of variants. They could make a lot of money if they produced MP5 clones.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 to Atlantic Chiming in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They could make a lot of money if they produced MP5 clones.
View Quote
A few years ago this was true.  Now, I'm not so sure.  The market for MP5 clones has diversified in the last 3-4 years.  It's certainly a missed opportunity for them.  

I've always wanted a G3 clone but won't but one with the current 7.62 ammo prices.  A PTR32 PDW to SBR is on my list though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope they pull through and glad to see the comments from Atlantic, I have almost bought one of their rifles many times, and then decided to buy something else, still on my too buy list.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hope they pull through and glad to see the comments from Atlantic
, I have almost bought one of their rifles many times, and then decided to buy something else, still on my too buy list.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A few years ago this was true.  Now, I'm not so sure.  The market for MP5 clones has diversified in the last 3-4 years.  It's certainly a missed opportunity for them.    

I've always wanted a G3 clone but won't but one with the current 7.62 ammo prices.  A PTR32 PDW to SBR is on my list though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they made one in America so I wouldn't have to grit my teeth while sending money to Pakistan or Turkey, with American parts so I don't need to even think about 922, and priced it less than $1,500 I think they would still be very competitive.    

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If they made one in America so I wouldn't have to grit my teeth while sending money to Pakistan or Turkey, with American parts so I don't need to even think about 922, and priced it less than $1,500 I think they would still be very competitive.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

beyond charging $1500+ for an mp5 clone because they can and people would pay, what would keep them from pricing them similar to their other products?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

beyond charging $1500+ for an mp5 clone because they can and people would pay, what would keep them from pricing them similar to their other products?
View Quote

Possibly the cost of obtaining the equipment would make them want to pay down that expense quickly?  

But really, because people can and will pay.  I'm sure the Turkish and Paki companies could sell their guns for a grand if they had to in order to move the product.  Not that there's anything wrong with charging a premium when the market will bear it.    

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Their 308 & 32 guns are not overpriced in comparison to other 308 rifles like DSA Fals or AR10's , The PTR GI starts in the low $800.00 range not really sure how mANY other quality 308 semi auto rifles you will find for that price other than an AK.
View Quote

DPMS .308" Gen 1 for $750 where I work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Their 308 & 32 guns are not overpriced in comparison to other 308 rifles like DSA Fals or AR10's , The PTR GI starts in the low $800.00 range not really sure how mANY other quality 308 semi auto rifles you will find for that price other than an AK.

Keyword bolded.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up a gen II PTR32, so far I'm impressed with the quality of the rifle. Yes a grand is a lot to pay for a rifle, in an AR or AK platform a grand will get you a lot. But go price some genuine HK rifles and tell me the PTRs are too expensive. I like the delayed rollerlock setup and this is an inexpensive way to get one. And thumbs up to PTR for moving to my home state, just another reason to buy a PTR rifle. It can hang out with my FNX-45 pistol and PSA AR.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#20]
You can't buy a better 308 semi auto for the same money as a PTR. There are better options at double, triple or even four times the price, but under $1k the PTR is it if you want a good functioning, durable rifle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can't buy a better 308 semi auto for the same money as a PTR. There are better options at double, triple or even four times the price, but under $1k the PTR is it if you want a good functioning, durable rifle.
View Quote

That can also function with nasty surplus and steel cased ammo without any tweaks or mods and $5 and less surplus mags.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That can also function with nasty surplus and steel cased ammo without any tweaks or mods and $5 and less surplus mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...one of the few rifles (I'm aware of) that as part of the design specifically allows for steel cased ammo with no potential adverse issues (even though obviously brass-cased 7.62 NATO was used). The very low price of the mags cannot be overlooked either...stack all that together with reasonably cheap (for now) ZQI 7.62 NATO and we've got a winner!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't want PTR to go under, but honestly, I seriously question sometimes what in the hell they're thinking sometimes in their marketing approach and what their product development/improvement brainstorming sessions must look like. I mean, for Christ sake, did we REALLY need a Texas Hog Hunt rifle in FDE? Is is so freaking hard for this company to understand that people really just want a goddamned FACTORY paddle mag release on their rifles, rather than having to ship them off to someone else for this service?

Not for nothing, but they have the blueprints for this stuff--and not only that, the PTR 32 Gen 2 has a paddle mag release, so why is it so hard for them to put one on the PTR 91s? It just boggles my mind.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PTR did run into some trouble after the move , it was expensive & killed production for a period of time & coupled with the downturn in the firearms industry had put some significant financial pressure on PTR . They regrouped & in the last 6 months have turned things around , they have settled into the new building & orders are up , They have hired on more staff to meet the increased demands and have been working their way out of the hole . PTR is here to stay and we should continue to see great rifles from them like the PTR 19 .308 and the NEW PTR 32 series in 762 x 39 . Other new offerings are on the drawing board for the future !! See the revised posting link below in the same news paper.

PTR Revised Newspaper Listing

View Quote

Glad to hear they aren't going anywhere. I have an A3R and absolutely love it. Fit and finish is excellent, accurate, runs great on every surplus mag I've got. Over the next year I want to get the GI R model... Or three.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm glad the story is improving for PTR.  I'll update the OP to reflect the revised story.

I'd love to see them expand into other affordable roller-lock rifles like they did with the PTR-32 but hopefully they do so carefully!
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I want s PTR MSR so bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
For whatever it means I bought one of the PTR GI's from Atlantic this week, on special- $850 and two extra magazines. Need to support them as much as we can, they told Connecticut to pound sand and stood by their principles....there was a cost to them for that. We need to stand by people that stand by us.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For whatever it means I bought one of the PTR GI's from Atlantic this week, on special- $850 and two extra magazines. Need to support them as much as we can, they told Connecticut to pound sand and stood by their principles....there was a cost to them for that. We need to stand by people that stand by us.
View Quote

+1 to this.

I just bought my 2nd PTR on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
+1 to this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to this.

+2

That's partially why I picked up my PTR-32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top