Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
I have a chance to purchase 2 HK SP89s in good used condition. I've looked at Gunbroker. What would be a safe value if I had to sell them later?

Also, I have a little knowledge of HK products but little on this model. Are there things I should be looking for that would enhance or detract from value?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Some detractors would be:

1 - Look at the underside area of where the claw mounts attach.  If a claw mount has been put on it, it reduces the value a little bit.

2 - If someone added a paddle mag release.  I know, it makes the gun more functional, but it still takes value away from a raw collector standpoint.  

I would also check bolt gap and make sure it is in spec.    

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said although I don't quite care about claw marks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Will the rollers  on the bolt be marked for size to determine bolt gap?
The HK armorers site shows different bolt gaps for different size rollers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will the rollers  on the bolt be marked for size to determine bolt gap?
The HK armorers site shows different bolt gaps for different size rollers.
View Quote

you measure bolt gag with a feeler guage

look here
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the asking price? I would measure bolt gap. Look for claw marks, though I agree with another poster that they don't bother me. Essentially, it is hard to abuse a factory HK SP89, so if the price is right buy them. There is often a large discrepancy between asking prices and selling prices. As for later sale value, I would say $5k per sp89 would get you a fast sale.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
They have two available for $4000 each but they said they would be negotiable. It's a collection from a deceased collector. There are several things I am interested in that I hope to be able to make an offer on. I am thinking of offering $2500 each and going up from there as part of a larger purchase.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#7]
$4k is a good deal. They sell regularly for $4-6k. If you get one for $2500 that would be a steal of the century.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
$2500 would be an unbelievable deal. I paid $2650 for a barely used SP89 back in 2006. Even if they don't come down much from $4k, that is still a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$4k is a good deal. They sell regularly for $4-6k. If you get one for $2500 that would be a steal of the century.
View Quote

Well I was not able to get both. One had sold. However, I did get one for $2500! Here she is. Came with the factor HK laser and box for the laser.
The bolt gap was about .017

Has the KA date stamp.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
You did great, you lucky bastard!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that bolt gap ok? I think I read .018 was optimal. I am sure .001" is not an issue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the deal with the mag release? It looks like it's been ground down.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the deal with the mag release? It looks like it's been ground down.
View Quote

That's all kinds of wrong. If that's so obviously messed up, what's hidden?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Shelf and rear edge of the magwell look mangled. Looks to me as if someone tried to unearth the push pin hole in order to attach a factory FA trigger housing to that gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]
No there is no damage to the shelf area. I think its my crappy pic's. I have no idea about the mag release. But it wasn't a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#17]
The shelf area definitely appears to have been altered.

Compare it to this photo:

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope someone didn't cut off the semi-auto shelf so they could run a SEF lower....certainly what it looks like from the photos.

Even so, get it fixed and still one hell of a deal!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hope someone didn't cut off the semi-auto shelf so they could run a SEF lower....certainly what it looks like from the photos.

View Quote

I would definitely send it out to be fixed. You could have a paddle mag installed, a threaded/3lug tip added, have it remarked to MP5k-N, and refinished.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would definitely send it out to be fixed. You could have a paddle mag installed, a threaded/3lug tip added, have it remarked to MP5k-N, and refinished.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I was planning to do that. I will have it checked out at that time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Took the advice given here and had the repair done. Added the 3 lug barrel, paddle conversion, and the MP5 engraving. Going to apply for the SBR stamp and a suppressor.

The paddle conversion is stiff. Not sure I like it yet. May need to be broken in some.

Any recommendation for the 3 lug suppressor. I would rather use that than the threads.

The shop that did the repair was very good and fast. They wish to remain anonymous.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks awesome! What did it cost?

As for a three lug suppressor, I'd go with the SilencerCo octane 9. Great company that makes great cans.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#24]
The repair was $200.
Adding the barrel, mag conversion, changing the model number, refinishing the repaired area and engraving the trust info ran about $1200
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top