Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
Walked into a local pawnshop in my AO and saw an HK style firearm hanging on the wall.  I asked the guy what the price was and he said $899.  I was a bit dissapointed because I knew a real HK wouldn't be nearly that cheap.  It was in great shape so I figured that I would take a look at it anyway and maybe try to talk them down a bit on the clone.

The guy handed it to me and I immediately turned it over to see who made the clone I was holding.

I almost fell over when I saw the markings.  It was a real deal HK91 manufactured in Germany in 1979 and imported by SACO.  

Since I had very little experience with HK firearms and wasn't 100% certain that I knew its true value (even though I had a good idea) I put it on layaway since they were getting ready to close.  

I rushed home and did a bit of research and it didn't take long to figure out that I had gotten a steal and that the value was at least double what I gave for it.

I will take some pics and post them up when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest paying it off and taking possession before posting too much.

Pawn might make things difficult if he finds out he can make another $1500 on the deal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would suggest paying it off and taking possession before posting too much.

Pawn might make things difficult if he finds out he can make another $1500 on the deal.
View Quote

This tomorrow morning!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh trust me I already got it.  Went back the next morning.

Thanks for the advise for certain!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for pics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
We're gonna need some pics.

Great find.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Just posted some pics in my hometown forum in Missouri.  Here is the link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/583777_.html&page=1&anc=6445400#i6445400
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
My credit card would have caught on fire flying out of my wallet to buy that.  I can't seem to find anything at pawn shops other than $900 WASRs and $700 Glocks.  I keep going hoping to get lucky one day though!
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what I did.  I never in a million years would have believed that I would be the one to find a great deal like this.

I always seem to read about them, but now (finally) I am one!

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you at least try talking him down a bit first?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's what I did.  I never in a million years would have believed that I would be the one to find a great deal like this.

I always seem to read about them, but now (finally) I am one!

View Quote

Congrats! feels good, doesnt it? finding a deal too good to be true and having it all work out haha
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
If you paid $899 for it, just think of the poor sucker who probably got $450 for it from the pawn shop.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a similar one at a pawn shop several years ago for an M1A. I paid $1000 for it. It turned out to be a USMC built NM in a McMillan stock. Foolishly I sold it for a nice profit. It was a once in a lifetime, much like your PTR priced hk91.

don't sell it. if you have any love for it, you'll always regret it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you paid $899 for it, just think of the poor sucker who probably got $450 for it from the pawn shop.
View Quote

I certainly did think about that as I was driving home.

I tried to imagine how everything worked out, here is my scenario that I pictured in my head.

Poor old grandpa got in bad shape and the kids put him in a home
Said kids went through anything of value they felt could get them a quick buck
Kids found grandpa's gun stash
Kids took them down to the local pawn shop
Guy at pawnshop went to "gunbroker" and searched HK91.  Saw the first PTR or CenturyArms that came up for $900 and gave them their 50% of the value
Kids congratulated themselves on their "score"
Guy at pawnshop put full price on gun and offers it for sale
Goofy looking guy walked into pawnshop, drooled on gun and bought it
end of story
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I tried to imagine how everything worked out, here is my scenario that I pictured in my head.

Guy at pawnshop went to "gunbroker" and searched HK91.  Saw the first PTR or CenturyArms that came up for $900 and gave them their 50% of the value
end of story
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

end of story

What a Debbie Downer
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

end of story
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

end of story

Lol maybe the owner sold it for what he paid for it 30 years ago..

I've gotten lucky on AK's, still looking for deals like this so I hit pawn shops regularly.

Found a GSAD Chinese AK (extremely rare, no U.S. Import marks) with spike bayonet for $600 on a rack of WASR's that were $700. They took $550 cash out the door.

Found a second PolyTech spiked AK again for $550 at a different pawn shop.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That pawn broker was an idiot.
View Quote

How about the guy who sold or pawned it -- I guarantee that the pawn shop gave him not more than half what they were selling it for
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice score

About 8-9 years ago there was an ad in the local Little Nickel ( paper print classified local to Seattle area - now out of biz )

Ad stated: Brand new in the box HK91 $1300 and listed a phone number.

I called that damn phone number a couple dozen times over a 2 week period and NEVER an answer so I gave up. I did leave at least a dozen messages.

fast forward maybe a month later ... I had completely forgotten about the HK by now, and my phone rings ... you guessed it the old guy calling me back.

I talked with him a quick minute and told him I had cash in hand and would be there in 15 mins to buy it.

Walked in his house and sitting on the kitchen table was a mint in the box / styro foam insert and all HK91-A2

I hate to admit it ... but I jewed him down another $100 ( just because I knew I could ) and bought it for I think $1200.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice score

About 8-9 years ago there was an ad in the local Little Nickel ( paper print classified local to Seattle area - now out of biz )

Ad stated: Brand new in the box HK91 $1300 and listed a phone number.

I called that damn phone number a couple dozen times over a 2 week period and NEVER an answer so I gave up. I did leave at least a dozen messages.

fast forward maybe a month later ... I had completely forgotten about the HK by now, and my phone rings ... you guessed it the old guy calling me back.

I talked with him a quick minute and told him I had cash in hand and would be there in 15 mins to buy it.

Walked in his house and sitting on the kitchen table was a mint in the box / styro foam insert and all HK91-A2

I hate to admit it ... but I jewed him down another $100 ( just because I knew I could ) and bought it for I think $1200.
View Quote

I was afraid to try even try to talk him down.  My biggest fear was that he would go ask his manager and they would check the internet for the going price and realize what they had.

After checking head-spacing and ensuring that it was safe to fire, I have put a few hundred rounds downrange, but its just not my kind of firearm.  I am contemplating on taking it to the next local gunshow and finding someone who knows what it is and seeing what kind of deal we can make.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I jewed him down
View Quote

there is something so classy about antisemitism.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I jewed him down

Yes, very classy indeed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top