Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 12:14:08 PM EDT
I always thought they where the same, BUT......... I was reading in SGN about the new Century C308, the article said the 2 mags are differant and that the C308 takes H&K pattern mags.
I do not even own a H&K clone yet, but about a year ago I bought 10 mags from Centerfire Systems, now I don't know if they were cetme or H&K. How can I tell?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
HK mags have 3 lances on each side that butt against the mag well and CETME only have two.  HK on the left and CETME on the right.  HK will also most likely have a manufacturer mark and date code or NATO NSN marks.  The CETME mags are always steel and G3 mags come in aluminum and steel.  The G3 mag pictured is an aluminum version.  Steel G3 mags don't have all the little stiffening ribs on the mag body.

What I think is sort of weird is that the new C308's come with a 5 round CETME mag.  Given that, I would think the CETME mags would work in them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, but I think I've read in advertisements that were selling cetme mags that they fit H&K or cetme? So are they at all interchangeable?
ETA: just dug up my mags, they are H&K. They say H&K G3 right on them. So will they fit if I buy a cetme clone? Will they fit the PTR91?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, but I think I've read in advertisements that were selling cetme mags that they fit H&K or cetme? So are they at all interchangeable?
View Quote

Some people say they work and some don't.  Maybe an in spec mag well works.  Only way to find out is to try them.  Typically the Steel CETME mags are worth more than the Aluminum G3 mags.  If you have CETME and they don't work I would sell them and buy some aluminum G3 mags.

Your G3 mags will work in the PTR91 and the new Century C308.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny how things change. Many years ago aluminum G3 mags were running in the $25 range, with steel ones going for $50+. I bought a pack of CETME mags and they were $7 each. I liked them and they worked fine in a greek SAR8. I hardly see the CETME mags anymore
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Easiest way to tell them apart is the CETME mags are curved, the HK mags are straight.  I used a few of the CETMEs in my HK41 and they worked fine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Funny how things change. Many years ago aluminum G3 mags were running in the $25 range, with steel ones going for $50+. I bought a pack of CETME mags and they were $7 each. I liked them and they worked fine in a greek SAR8. I hardly see the CETME mags anymore
View Quote

I remember when CTD had them for $0.97.  I got 60 of them. i know atleast 3/4 of them were still new in wrapper/oil and of the others only 2 or 3 were crap and used as a spare parts mag.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I did a similar deal from TAPCO. I think the G3 mags were 100 for $50 or 100 for $100. I bought 100, and like 90 were new in wrap, 10 were as new no wrap. I ended up selling them for $2 each a couple years later. Should have just kept them, but today's deals are much higher.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I now own 30 aluminum mags, 2 steel mags and 10 2 mag carriers... and I don't even own a H&K yet.
I also got a 5 pack of leather slings.
Not sure if I'm going with the C308 or PTR91 yet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I now own 30 aluminum mags, 2 steel mags and 10 2 mag carriers... and I don't even own a H&K yet.
View Quote

Think I read somewhere that PTR is making the C308 for century.  Not 100% on that info but if true I would just go with the cheaper one
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Think I read somewhere that PTR is making the C308 for century.  Not 100% on that info but if true I would just go with the cheaper one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTR is making the receivers, the rest is Century.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross.  If that is the case then PTR all the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top