Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2015 9:09:43 PM EDT
Gents-

http://www.demanjo.com/news/world/1355614/german-defense-minister-says-widely-used-assault-rifle-has-no-future-with-army-in-current-form.html

I'm no HK nut, but this seems odd for the defense minister to come out against a german company like this.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I Prefer the HK 33/33k/53 series of Hk's or the HK416 models when it comes to 5.56 models

The G36 and UMP's are fantastic plastic Junk!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I Prefer the HK 33/33k/53 series of Hk's or the HK416 models when it comes to 5.56 models

View Quote

Having owned an HK SL8 for a brief period of time before the polymer lower developed a fracture from firing less than 200 rounds of XM193, and also owning a HK93 that has had thousands of rounds downrange without any noticeable problems, I would have to agree.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
[Cut.  Never mind, was being a smart ass about HK's before realized this was in the HK forum.  NM, carry on]

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[Cut.  Never mind, was being a smart ass about HK's before realized this was in the HK forum.  NM, carry on]

View Quote

That $#!7 will get you killed in here!  or at least seriously berated!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Make mine a G41 with a welded rail, please!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't mean to derail this thread, but why did the German military discontinue development of the roller locked guns?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't mean to derail this thread, but why did the German military discontinue development of the roller locked guns?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molding plastic is cheaper than buying and rolling metal.

Weight
Cost (some people argue that the G36 was purchased as a favor to keep a German arms company alive to provide arms to German armed forces, essentially a bailout)
Roller lock might have reached its pinnacle of innovation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I still find it ironic that now they have the G38 (416A5) suddenly the G36 platform that they have used for 20 years, is no good... This is no different than any other industry when technology changes and advancements are made, nobody wants to be left behind.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if this is true, but...

"All it takes is two magazines (60 rounds of ammunition) to heat up the barrel to an extent that "serious accuracy degradation" occurs, the researchers found. At this point, the accuracy degradation can be as severe as 50 centimeters at a range of 200 meters, and a full 6 meters at a range of 500 meters."

http://www.dw.de/heckler-koch-g36-the-rifle-held-in-all-the-wrong-places/a-18402772

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
They didn't fight anyone during most of the G36's tenure. A decade or so in AFG will expose your poor gear choices real fucking quick.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
G36 is no good
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still find it ironic that now they have the G38 (416A5) suddenly the G36 platform that they have used for 20 years, is no good...
View Quote

I find it funny they would develop a new rifle, when they already had one in that niche...unless they knew it was crap and wanted to develop a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

But that doesn't mean you weren't right!z
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't remember where I read or heard this theory but here it is....

The German's want a new rifle.  German politics don't want to pay for said rifle.  H&K is in dire financial worries.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Thus certain German politicians are drumming up support for the German .mil to get a new rifle while H&K basically is taking the brunt of the blame but may score a new contract for a new rifle, thus helping H&K in the long run stay out of financial troubles and get the German's a new rifle...
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I find it funny they would develop a new rifle, when they already had one in that niche...unless they knew it was crap and wanted to develop a replacement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still find it ironic that now they have the G38 (416A5) suddenly the G36 platform that they have used for 20 years, is no good...

Got some input from a guy on another forum, so don't take it as 100% fact. He was in the Spanish military and said the zero shift was common, but it was only about 2-3 after a number of days dropping/shooting/using it. Still doesn't inspire confidence when plenty of older designs don't have such an issue.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The German's want a new rifle.  German politics don't want to pay for said rifle.  H&K is in dire financial worries.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Thus certain German politicians are drumming up support for the German .mil to get a new rifle while H&K basically is taking the brunt of the blame but may score a new contract for a new rifle, thus helping H&K in the long run stay out of financial troubles and get the German's a new rifle...
View Quote

Maybe.

OTOHO, the shift in POI has been actually documented. It really happens.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
G36 was a known POS since it came out. First problems with heat were reported on HKpro a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maybe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.

Yes we have all known it happens.  But why, NOW, all of a sudden with H&K losing all .mil contracts does the German government come out and say, H&K you suck we hate you?

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes we have all known it happens.  But why, NOW, all of a sudden with H&K losing all .mil contracts does the German government come out and say, H&K you suck we hate you?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.

Germany is largely anti gun. The government has been restricting H&K and demonizing them for years. This is unfortunately nothing new and not surprising.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top