Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2015 4:05:09 PM EDT
Hello,

I have a Walther MP5 22lr and am getting tired of the barrel shroud weighing down the firearm. I don't want to mess with the Form 1 to make an SBR. Would it be legal to replace the stock with an end cap and have the barrel shortened? I am thinking that this would be classify as a pistol just like an AR-15 pistol.

Thank you,

Nick
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Once a rifle, always a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, I wouldnt WANT to make it a pistol. MP5 pistols are not, in my opinion, ergonomic enough to be worth leaving or turning into pistol form. Only reason I had mine as pistols, was waiting on WA law to change for allowing SBRs. MP5s need a stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with you, the main reason I don't want to go the SBR route is that since the rifle is imported I would be making a semiautomatic rifle out of imported parts and could be in violation of 922r. I know there are people who have already made these into SBRs however in my research I could not find any proof of whether or not the firearm would need to comply with 922r. (I've read threads stating that 922r doesn't apply to rimfires, thought I can't find any exceptions.) If the rifle does indeed fall under 922r there are not a lot of U.S parts that would work for this rifle, I have found that the cocking handle, forearm, and buttstock could be used with minimal modification but those would only be 3 U.S. parts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally do not worry too much about it. That's an amount of personal risk I am willing to take. I own a MP5-A3 .22 and I would LIKE to SBR it, and be able to use a real can in place of the long pencil-barrel. But I dont want to dump $200 more into it and have it fall under special rules. Its a cute $400 gun but thats about it for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know why they didnt make an MP5 pistol to begin with. They made a 416 pistol and Uzi pistol, wonder why not the MP5?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Purpose built .22s are except from 922r and other import BS. Thats how they are able to import them in the first place.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Where did you find that information? I thought they may have some kind of exemption being a semi-auto that has "non-sporting" features. Which would otherwise make them illegal to import.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Purpose built .22s are except from 922r and other import BS. Thats how they are able to import them in the first place.

View Quote

Yep.  922r applies to semiautomatic centerfire rifles and shotguns only.  Rimfire rifles and pistols of any kind are not affected.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where did you find that information? I thought they may have some kind of exemption being a semi-auto that has "non-sporting" features. Which would otherwise make them illegal to import.
View Quote

Its in the text of the law; Even the short, 1 paragraph, lawman's version.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I went the GSG522pk route and I have about $600 into this with the stamp and pre HK lawsuit parts, sights and stock/forearm

They are always on sale at CDNN

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a nice rifle pool_shark! It looks like I may end up making an SBR. I'd have to start with the rifle as I am not 21 yet, I'll most likely get the 416 pistol barrel and go that route after the form 1. Thank you all for your input.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I found the exemption for .22 rimfire for importation if anyone would like to see for themselves.

https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/july-1989-%20importability-of-certain-semiautomatic-rifles.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 7, and the conclusion at the top of page 13.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top