Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 9:21:01 PM EDT
I've seen tommybuilt tactical's conversions and they look fantastic. Every time I see a conversion I kick myself that I haven't started mine yet.  
Price has been pretty much the only factor stopping me ( parts alone with mags and a new short barrel are gonna run close to a $1k, plus tax stamp to get into the nfa game, another $200).
What are your guys' experience with converting to ump?
Who else out there does a quality conversion and what do they charge?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are hack job conversions, and there's Tommy Built Tactical. You get EXACTLY what you pay for with these. Send it to Tommy and be happy. I've sent him my SL8 to G36 and USC to UMP and would do it 3 more times if I had to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped off my USC  this week at Tommy Built Tactical to do my conversion. He is local to me so it is no brainer since I can drive over.
Super nice guy, who does great work and his prices are inline with other builders. One of the few advantages living in MD.

Send it to Tommy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've seen tommybuilt tactical's conversions and they look fantastic. Every time I see a conversion I kick myself that I haven't started mine yet.  
Price has been pretty much the only factor stopping me ( parts alone with mags and a new short barrel are gonna run close to a $1k, plus tax stamp to get into the nfa game, another $200).
What are your guys' experience with converting to ump?
Who else out there does a quality conversion and what do they charge?
View Quote

I'd kick you too for not doing it yet too. You know the answer to your first question. Tommybuilt *IS* USC-to-UMP conversions. There's a reason when Dakota Tactical quit doing them, he shipped all his in-progress conversions to Tommybuilt

Price - well, you get what you pay for. Not to mention Tom is SUPER easy to reach. I never felt like I couldn't just message him on FB and ask a straight-forward question about any aspect of the job, and get a direct reply within a reasonable time frame.

UMP is what the gun was supposed to be in the first place. When I got it back from Tom I was happy. The job felt "right" for lack of a better expression.

Send it to Tom and get it done right, by the guy who started it, and be done with the job so you can enjoy your sweet UMP.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I used Homeland Defense & Police Supply and it came out excellent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
HDPS did my USC/UMP conversion and Tommybuilt did my SL8/G36k conversion. If I had it to do all over again, I would go Tommybuilt
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HDPS did my USC/UMP conversion and Tommybuilt did my SL8/G36k conversion. If I had it to do all over again, I would go Tommybuilt
View Quote

Originally I was going to use HDPS stock blocks. Ed's customer service was so bad that is what pissed me off so I went to Tom and had him do the full-package on both my SL8 and USC.

I have nothing good to say about HDPS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Originally I was going to use HDPS stock blocks. Ed's customer service was so bad that is what pissed me off so I went to Tom and had him do the full-package on both my SL8 and USC.
I have nothing good to say about HDPS.
View Quote

Ed Montana of HDPS did a really good conversion on my UMP, but I did detect a bit of a Mr. Big Stuff attitude in him. In fact, upon first contacting him by email, I was typing fast and mistakenly called him Mr. Montoya instead of Mr. Montana, and rather than simply and calmly correct my honest mistake, he acted like he had a flash back from NAM and went ballistic over it. He went so off the deep end, I almost pulled the plug on the whole conversion.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
When I had the HDPS stock block for my SL8/G36 clone, all I needed was the stock-pin. HKParts was out. Ed had them. Placed an order for the one pin. Submitted the wrong exp. date on my debit card. Rather than contact me and say "Hey your card declined"  he shredded my order and that was it. So after a month, I emailed. No reply. Waited a week or two. Emailed again. Finally after like 2 months "Card didn't go through" so I gave him correct info, and he replied "I shredded your order as soon as it declined" So we email back and forth and he says something along the lines of "its just a cheap part. No other dealers would have contacted you, trust me I know" so I gave up. Called Tom and sent a USC and SL8 to him for a full work-up. Glad I don't have any HDPS junk on my guns.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Tom Bostic (Tommy Built Tactical). I've seen lots of his work and it's always outstanding. One of these days I plan on sending him my UMP conversion for vent hole milling, I wasn't comfortable doing myself.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
These are some of the easiest conversion to do. My first was a Grease Gun lower. Then when the stock block came out, I did the UMP Mag conversion. You can do this all yourself with a drill press and a x,y jig. Dying is also a simple task.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
In my opinion- having Toms name attached to it helps resale. I have no intent of ever reselling mine. But as a buyer I would be more apt to pay for Toms work than someone whose name is unknown. Not to say it isnt something OP can/can't do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Great input guys!  Keep it coming!  
Any thoughts on getting the ump receiver rear fuse job vs just getting an hdps stock block?
Also, thoughts on cutting down the stock barrel or replacing it with the 8in hdps barrel?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I would either have Tom do the full-package, or I would use an ACR stock like RenegadeX recently posted. Im not a HDPS fan, so any of Ed's parts are out of the question for me.

I bought a spare 16" barrel back when, just in case I ever SBR'd the UMP one day... that said- I would send any barrel to ADCO to have it cut down. Mine is 7.0" and I think that is the PERFECT length, as a suppressor will stop right at the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would either have Tom do the full-package, or I would use an ACR stock like RenegadeX recently posted. Im not a HDPS fan, so any of Ed's parts are out of the question for me.

I bought a spare 16" barrel back when, just in case I ever SBR'd the UMP one day... that said- I would send any barrel to ADCO to have it cut down. Mine is 7.0" and I think that is the PERFECT length, as a suppressor will stop right at the handguard.
View Quote

Funny you mentioned ADCO.  I was just looking at their site for this project
What did ADCO charge?  I see on the site non AR barrel mods are pretty pricey.
Maybe RenegadeX can chime in for how the ACR stock attaches to the UMP receiver.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe RenegadeX can chime in for how the ACR stock attaches to the UMP receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock Block run over on HKPro. Photos are making it popular, probably enough to get a second run of folks chime in.

I have the hdps BBL, but I got it long ago before things went south. As most folks will not ever get a UMP Silencer, a chop/thread is probably the best option.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
It was like $70. Tell them you need the 16x1LH HK Profile
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Stock Block run over on HKPro. Photos are making it popular, probably enough to get a second run of folks chime in.
Same stock block that fits a standard ump folding stock works for an acr stock as well then?
I have the hdps BBL, but I got it long ago before things went south. As most folks will not ever get a UMP Silencer, a chop/thread is probably the best option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same stock block that fits a standard ump folding stock works for an acr stock as well then?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#18]
No. Not the same stock block for adapting a UMP folding stock to USC reciever.

It was a custom-made block by HKPro member Lee Majors. Thread on it here
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

do I have to be a member over at HKPRO.com to get in on that?  I've only been a lurker since 2001.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Free to make an account, at least then you could PM the guy who put that deal together on those ACR stock adapters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top