Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2015 5:02:12 AM EDT
How do women fair with a 16" PTR 91.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That all depends on their level of experience and physical strength and stature, just like any man.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Women seem to handle my 10" just fine. Oh...wait. What are we talking about exactly?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How do women fair with a 16" PTR 91.
View Quote

The HK91 type rifles are high on the felt recoil scale, but some are more recoil sensitive than others.
If a woman can handle a shotgun, they should be able to handle a PTR fine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Sample size 1: My wife hates my 91.  It isn't the recoil, it that the stock is too long and the cheek weld is too low to be comfortable for her.  She loves my SCAR 17, since it adjusts to fit her (5'5" 110lbs.)  She wanted to shoot the 91 since she loves my MP5 variants and thought the 91 would be everything she loves about the MP5, just a little bigger.  I don't shoot the 91 that much these days, but if I did, I would go the Spuhr route with the stock and handguard to get the ergo better.  

If you're starting out with an inexperienced shooter, have her shoot it prone first.  The recoil isn't as perceivable when prone, so it won't bother her too much.  Don't have here shoot with a collapsible stock since that will put her off completely.  Nothing like a smack from rebar on the jaw to get a woman in the mood
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Women seem to handle my 10" just fine. Oh...wait. What are we talking about exactly?
View Quote

reality
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
More importantly, if she is unfamiliar with shooting rifles, teach her how to pull the rifle tight into her shoulder and lean forwards into it. Don't just hand her the rifle and stand back. If it's not pulled tight into the shoulder it will recoil backwards and painfully smack the shooter. If the shooter is not leaning into it they will be unbalanced and pushed backwards by the recoil. Make sure new shooters fire rifles standing up, first, as shooting sitting down requires an entirely different technique to properly handle and mitigate painful recoil.

An unstable platform compounded with the aforementioned smack will make the shooter unlikely to have a good time. Almost anyone, man or woman, can shoot a full power rifle or shotgun if they are taught proper technique.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Just fine with proper instruction, same as a man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top