Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2015 7:52:48 PM EDT
So initially after waiting for the Sig MPX I decided to move on over to something that is attainable at the moment.
My LGS is selling higher quality cloned (Moore Advanced Dynamics) MP5 and MP5K PDW.   They are SBR'd and ready to go on a Form 4.

MP5 - 4 position retractable stock, welded picatinny top rail, barrel is threaded and has 3 lug
MP5K PDW - folding stock, welded picatinny top rail, HK vert grip , barrel is threaded and has 3 lug

While it would be really awesome to have both in my collection, funds say the otherwise.  
At the moment I am kinda leaning towards the "K" model, as I love the compactness of it and seems a little more befitting of my smaller frame.

So if you had to choose one between the two which would you get and why (positives and negatives)?
Just looking for your opinions :)

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the MP5K.  I had one built by IGF and I just received my stamp Monday.  This thing is AWESOME.  My favorite gun at the moment and will always be at or near the top.

Personally I think the vert grip and pdw stock make for one of the coolest compact packages available.  I still love the classic MP5, and would like to get one of those eventually as well, but the K is a must have for MP5 fans IMO.  Plus with a suppressor that just puts it over the top!

I'm actually having a MP5SD built at the moment as well, just because it's a longer process to complete one of these with the multiple stamps and all so I just wanted to get it going.  But one day I'll go for a good ole MP5 with the A3 stock for the trifecta.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both. At first I shot the K all the time. Lately I've gone to shooting the standard more, because I kept smashing my knuckles or pinching my skin on the B&T Mount with the K. Plus the K shoots so fast, I find the MP5 smoother to shoot. There's nothing cooler than the K... Except an SD, but I've been there, done that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing cooler than a K gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both and I prefer the MP5 over the K because the MP5 is more reliable and I think it's easier to shoot, especially with the A2 stock. The higher cyclic rate of the K is a blast but the full sized gun just purrs with my sear.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Get all three?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The B&T stock is the only way to go with the K.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Hehe...maybe if I ever won the lottery!  Ofcourse then I'd have to get the sears with them too!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
dumb question but I have to ask:

How do you guys that own MP5's afford them?  I just looked at typical going rate prices from 2010 for MP5 variants and they were 15-20k each.  is that correct?

Also, a form 3 is what is required to purchase and any civvy can get a form 3 correct (obviously if you meet the criteria)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you guys that own MP5's afford them?  I just looked at typical going rate prices from 2010 for MP5 variants and they were 15-20k each.  is that correct?

Also, a form 3 is what is required to purchase and any civvy can get a form 3 correct (obviously if you meet the criteria)?
View Quote

I'd guess most are S/A clones.  Like mine

I don't think there are any "real" transferable MP5s out there. All actual HKs are HK94/89/91/93 conversions. (Could be wrong though)

As to what form? Depends on who currently owns it. Lots of F/A HK94s (and HK F/A trigger packs and Sears) in civi hands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/a486ec0ad24cbd300c4640b12cbfcf2c_zps076a0349.jpg

I don't think there are any "real" transferable MP5s out there. All actual HKs are HK94/89/91/93 conversions. (Could be wrong though)

As to what form? Depends on who currently owns it. Lots of F/A HK94s (and HK F/A trigger packs and Sears) in civi hands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/a486ec0ad24cbd300c4640b12cbfcf2c_zps076a0349.jpg

Basically what lilMAC25 said.   A lot of the MP5s are sa and are either clones or actual HKs, or a combination of clones with HK parts in it.
And lots of transferable sears out there to give those with $$$$$$$$$ an opportunity to have FA.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Of my 3 the MP5 is a German A2 kit on a LSC receiver. The SD and K are both all-American RCM parts on LSC receiver. German sights, mag release and trigger groups. All 3 built by Ghilliebear/Parabellum Combat Systems.

Quoted:
The B&T stock is the only way to go with the K.  
View Quote

Typical Arfcom fashion- GET BOTH!

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been leaning towards getting a reverse stretch.  I like the short barrel and the ability to use the A2 and A3 stocks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
2 sear and 3 host guy here, save, save and prioritize. Ignore the M16 in the one photo.

The MP5 is smoothest but my favorite is the MP5K.

ps- I married well, she never questions when I buy a machinegun. Trusts my decision making.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Talk to be about that Mk9k... Been eyeing them lately.... Not sure if I can live without it or  not....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Talk to be about that Mk9k... Been eyeing them lately.... Not sure if I can live without it or  not....
View Quote

I own around 30 some cans and it is my favorite, sounds good, looks good on MP5K and I run it hard without any problems. They are getting a group buy over on HKPro for Knights Armament MP5-N and I'm all over that. I will probably get another MP5K just for that can and debating buying 2 just because probably last time they will ever be made.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info.  what do the HK SA conversions retail for about?  sry, Im new to the MP5 world but very interested in getting into them...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

They actually go for $25k to $32k in the current market, depending on how they were converted.  A "transferable" fullauto refers to one of several options:

1. A domestically produced fullauto made prior to the May 19, 1986 cutoff
2. A foreign made fullauto imported prior to the 1968 cutoff of the GCA of '68. Foreign made fullautos imported after '68 but prior to May 19, 1986 are know as pre-86 dealer samples. These can be purchased by an FFL/SOT without having a LE demo letter and may be kept after giving up the FFL/SOT.
3. A domestically made fullauto that was exported out of the US, but re-imported prior to the GCA of '68. Any such item reimported after '68, but prior to May 19, 1986 is a pre-86 dealer sample as in #2.
4. A foreign made semiauto converted to fullauto (and properly registered at the time of conversion) in the US prior to May 19, 1986.

Form-3 is used to transfer any title-2 firearm between FFL/SOTs. No transfer tax is required.
Form-4 is used to transfer any title-2 firearm from FFL/SOT to an individual or from individual to individual. Form-4 requires payment of $200 transfer tax.

As to how anyone affords these items now, there are many ways. Some have very high salary and/or net worth. Others prioritize by not spending foolishly on high dollar depreciating items like cars, trucks, boats, jet skis, ATVs, etc. Some bought when things cost less. This includes me. But I can tell you that I have about $16k in my all German mp5k-pdw based on an sp89 with DLO fullauto trigger frame. When I bought the frame and host in 2006, I almost threw up for about two weeks after sending funds. So even back when things were cheaper, at least when I started buying they were never truly "cheap". If you want to buy a fullauto and can afford to do so without jeopardizing your family's health/safety, retirement, kids' college fund, etc then I recommend you figure a way to get in the game sooner rather than later. They continue to appreciate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They actually go for $25k to $32k in the current market, depending on how they were converted.  A "transferable" fullauto refers to one of several options:

2. A foreign made fullauto imported prior to the 1968 cutoff of the GCA of '68. Foreign made fullautos imported after '68 but prior to May 19, 1986 are know as pre-86 dealer samples. These can be purchased by an FFL/SOT without having a LE demo letter and may be kept after giving up the FFL/SOT.
3. A domestically made fullauto that was exported out of the US, but re-imported prior to the GCA of '68. Any such item reimported after '68, but prior to May 19, 1986 is a pre-86 dealer sample as in #2.
4. A foreign made semiauto converted to fullauto (and properly registered at the time of conversion) in the US prior to May 19, 1986.

Form-3 is used to transfer any title-2 firearm between FFL/SOTs. No transfer tax is required.
Form-4 is used to transfer any title-2 firearm from FFL/SOT to an individual or from individual to individual. Form-4 requires payment of $200 transfer tax.

As to how anyone affords these items now, there are many ways. Some bought when things cost less. This includes me. But I can tell you that I have about $16k in my all German mp5k-pdw based on an sp89 with DLO fullauto trigger frame. When I bought the frame and host in 2006, I almost threw up for about two weeks after sending funds. So even back when things were cheaper, at least when I started buying they were never truly "cheap".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to how anyone affords these items now, there are many ways. Some bought when things cost less. This includes me. But I can tell you that I have about $16k in my all German mp5k-pdw based on an sp89 with DLO fullauto trigger frame. When I bought the frame and host in 2006, I almost threw up for about two weeks after sending funds. So even back when things were cheaper, at least when I started buying they were never truly "cheap".

appreciate you laying that out...   it was all pretty confusing for me.  Ive been researching online and there's just so much info out there its tough to find a starting place.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh and I forgot to mention, my preference goes to the mp5k-pdw. It is so compact. Mine is all German and runs like a scalded dog on semiauto, fullauto, suppressed, unsuppressed. A friend has a post sample factory fullsize mp5 and I used to have a Coharie CA5 fullsize pistol that I used with my DLO pack. I installed the #28 locking piece and it runs without issues shooting 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, and 158gr (a no-no per HK). The #28 locking piece slows it down close to a fullsize mp5 on fullauto, which makes it a controllable weapon instead of a "German MAC".
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As to how anyone affords these items now, there are many ways. Some have very high salary and/or net worth. Others prioritize by not spending foolishly on high dollar depreciating items like cars, trucks, boats, jet skis, ATVs, etc. Some bought when things cost less. This includes me. But I can tell you that I have about $16k in my all German mp5k-pdw based on an sp89 with DLO fullauto trigger frame. When I bought the frame and host in 2006, I almost threw up for about two weeks after sending funds. So even back when things were cheaper, at least when I started buying they were never truly "cheap". If you want to buy a fullauto and can afford to do so without jeopardizing your family's health/safety, retirement, kids' college fund, etc then I recommend you figure a way to get in the game sooner rather than later. They continue to appreciate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good write-up, I also belong to the bought awhile ago when cheaper and saved/prioritized everything club. I still don't own a car/truck/suv
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh and I forgot to mention, my preference goes to the mp5k-pdw. It is so compact. Mine is all German and runs like a scalded dog on semiauto, fullauto, suppressed, unsuppressed. A friend has a post sample factory fullsize mp5 and I used to have a Coharie CA5 fullsize pistol that I used with my DLO pack. I installed the #28 locking piece and it runs without issues shooting 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, and 158gr (a no-no per HK). The #28 locking piece slows it down close to a fullsize mp5 on fullauto, which makes it a controllable weapon instead of a "German MAC".
View Quote

I need to try the #28 locking piece, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Some pics of my mp5/mo5k's:

As to your question abt how do people purchase a sear, I get this question a lot, especially from someone driving a 40,000 car/truck (the type of person that trades cars every 2-3 years. For me, when I paid my last car payment, I kept the used car and continued to make my 400.00 "car " payment to a separate savings acct. After 2.5 years, I had 12,000 and was in the range of a HK sear at the current market price.  Even at today's market value, you could have one in 4-5 years (especially if you figure in sales taxes on 1-2 new cars in that timeframe.  

4 years later, my 12k "used" sear is worth 24-25k. What is their 40,000 truck worth now?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are getting a group buy over on HKPro for Knights Armament MP5-N and I'm all over that. I will probably get another MP5K just for that can and debating buying 2 just because probably last time they will ever be made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They are getting a group buy over on HKPro for Knights Armament MP5-N and I'm all over that. I will probably get another MP5K just for that can and debating buying 2 just because probably last time they will ever be made.

Yeah, I keep telling myself I don't need a MK-9K. Gets harder to convince myself each time. I, personally, don't care about Knights cans. They're sort of a nostalgia item for me. I am sure they work great, but I don't know how much of a performance boost youre going to see out of a $1,700 9mm can versus a $6-800 mainstream 9mm can.

Quoted:
Others prioritize by not spending foolishly on high dollar depreciating items like cars, trucks, boats, jet skis, ATVs, etc. Some bought when things cost less. This includes me.

Me too. With the exception of full-auto. (No-Go in WA state) I drive a used truck, that is 11yrs old. Other than Xbox, my HKs are my only "hobby".

Quoted:
... and 158gr (a no-no per HK).

In all their MP5s or just the SD? I know the SD is because shooting subs, and losing so much velocity at the chamber, you're asking for a baffle strike/failure to cycle...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Gopherboy128, I forgot to mention that my Knights SD can I could probably use it as a club and take 10 guys out and not put a dent in the thing, it's that sturdy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In all their MP5s or just the SD? I know the SD is because shooting subs, and losing so much velocity at the chamber, you're asking for a baffle strike/failure to cycle...
View Quote

Per Jim Schatz on HKPro, nothing over 147gr is to be used in mp5 variants.  I've fired a decent amount of 158gr through my K-PDW with suppressor attached.  It is SO quiet.  I did this before I knew it was not recommended by HK.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't see an answer so here goes.

After a home, the biggest purchase most folks make is a car. Nothing wrong with that, you need to go to work, other places. But you do not need to buy a new one every 3/4/5 years or whatever. If instead of buying a new car every 3/4/5 years you save that money, you will have plenty.

I drive a 99 Tahoe. $30K. Skipped replacing it in 2004, 2009, 2014. Do the math on three skipped new car purchases.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

After a home, the biggest purchase most folks make is a car. Nothing wrong with that, you need to go to work, other places. But you do not need to buy a new one every 3/4/5 years or whatever. If instead of buying a new car every 3/4/5 years you save that money, you will have plenty.

I drive a 99 Tahoe. $30K. Skipped replacing it in 2004, 2009, 2014. Do the math on three skipped new car purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I answered it exactly the same way....  An older dependable car worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I answered it exactly the same way....  An older dependable car worked fine for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. Newest car I have ever bought was been 10 years old.

Also, I have used Fiocchi 158gr subs in my MP5 with Octane 9 3-Lug and had success, but in my SD, I only ran 115-124gr. STILL quiet. No need to waste the more-expensive 158gr.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#29]
It is my understanding that HK only recommends using super sonic ammo in a SD.  I just don't see what a SD has to do with whether to buy a full size or a K gun.  As the owner of MP5K, MP5K PDW, MP5K with a full size receiver, and a full size 9mm clones, I like to say that they all have their pluses and minuses.  They are all fun, in their own way.  I would suggest that you go to a few shoots and try the guns yourself.  If you'd be in Las Vegas, PM me.  You can try my guns.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Went to battlefield vegas and two mags through a mp5sd in full auto and was just amazed on how controllable that gun is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the replies guys!
Put my order in this weekend for the "Kurz" PDW

Gotta wait on my LGS's form 3 and then again on my form 4...such is the wait

You guys with K guns just left it with irons or have you thought of any sort of small red dot/RMR sights?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys!
Put my order in this weekend for the "Kurz" PDW

Gotta wait on my LGS's form 3 and then again on my form 4...such is the wait

You guys with K guns just left it with irons or have you thought of any sort of small red dot/RMR sights?
View Quote

Irons, but I replaced the open notch rear sight drum of the sp89 with a standard mp5 rear diopter sight. I am planning on adding an Aimpoint t1 or t2 at some point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Aimpoint T1
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Get the K
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get the K
View Quote

Done :)  Just waiting on paperwork related stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#37]

A2 vs. SD?

GO!

Really though, does the SD scratch your full-size itch?  I used to have an A2, sold it, now I have a K and want another full-size, but have to pick one.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#38]
The SD is a unicorn all by itself. I like the A2 because I can use any 3-lug can, and cleaning is easier. The SD was after I had my full-size, and before the K. The RCM can I run on the SD works great. I am happy with my SD all the way around, from RCM quality, to Jeff's building of it, to the way it performs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The SD is a unicorn all by itself. I like the A2 because I can use any 3-lug can, and cleaning is easier. The SD was after I had my full-size, and before the K. The RCM can I run on the SD works great. I am happy with my SD all the way around, from RCM quality, to Jeff's building of it, to the way it performs.
View Quote

Very cool.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#40]
in a semi auto, K all the way...   wish I had gone with the K but clones for them were very uncommon 5 years ago...  really wish I bought the sear for $12k when I bought the guy's Cohaire Arms MP5 pistol clone...    Only until recently when I shot a full auto clone at a recent MG event did I get why so many people rave about them, they are definitely smoother shooting than M11/9 lage setup.   6 times as good though you can debate, but you do have other flexibility with a sear

Also passed on a $14k married sear when I bought my FNC, I just couldn't swing both at the same time.  Plus the gun still lacked a proper threaded barrel / lug muzzle.

As far as buying them, I also use the boat / atv example and every other guy asking then relates to me how he bought an boat, ATV or UTV and it hardly gets used while it depreciates to zero.

And cars, I enjoy cars and to be honest, you get way more use out of a car than any MG.   Its just a question of what you prioritize...    You can still get your car fix by buying an interesting 6 year old car vs. a brand new one and easily save $20k.

The funny thing in all this, I rarely use my MGs and even my buddies may shoot a couple mags through them and are done.   I know some people just love to hose away endlessly as if the Chinese Red Army is coming over the berm, different strokes for different folks I guess.   But like nearly everything in life, the experience is overrated.   The best thing you can do is becoming shooting buddies with someone that has machine guns or has a SOT.

I mostly enjoy handgun defense training, long gun SHTF training and longer range accuracy.   The MG gets picked up and blasted away at 10 yards for effect, once the novelty wears off for that day, its allowed to sit and cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I personally love the MP5K the best between the two.  I am working on a build made of parts from Ben at Gatewood Supply.  Also, there is a great armorer near me named Nick Hope who does a lot of work for the C2/C3 guys, and I hope to have him build a K for me one day.  Those HKs are expensive as crap to build.  Then, if I go the sear route, we are talking about a $25-$30,000 gun!  Dang!  

Good luck with it all.  At this rate, it will take me a few years to get mine together!  LOL.

ETA - edit for spelling error
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#42]
i am thinking the 2nd MP5 will be an MP5k-pdw with the barrel extension, so the girlfriend can stop taking the other one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#43]
No barrel extension. SBR that sucker.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#44]
The PDW barrel has 3-lug and threaded. True MP5K's barrel is flush with the end of the handguard. Same with the SP89.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

i am thinking the 2nd MP5 will be an MP5k-pdw with the barrel extension, so the girlfriend can stop taking the other one.
View Quote
I would consider a reverse stretch.  

You can swap stocks and keep most of the same spare parts.  I have one and love it.  

It is also a little more comfortable if you are tall.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would consider a reverse stretch.     You can swap stocks and keep most of the same spare parts.  I have one and love it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would consider a reverse stretch.     You can swap stocks and keep most of the same spare parts.  I have one and love it.  

i like the idea of the reverse stretch seeing the plan is to see which she likes best and i am gonna keep the other one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I have had a SP89 cone for years and want to SBR it. After I get my stamp I am going to get one of the Fleming A2 stock adapter($100) and have it milled so I can put a A3 stock on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I did this to my K as I like the A2...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Now I want an MP5K....
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#50]
what is the best way to get to an SD?  Right now Im thinking of getting an MKE or POF and having someone like RDTS convert it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top