Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2015 8:03:41 PM EDT
Well, as discussed on the thread, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/437695_Gen_2_PTR_32s_will_launch_in_January_2015.html&page=1, I made it to the range with my new PTR 32 KFR (rifle) that I purchased from Atlantic Firearms. The concept always interested me but I was concerned about magazine compatibility considering the issues that the first generation was known to have. I took the plunge and decided to give it a shot on the second gen, here are my findings.

Range Report:
- - - - - - - - - -
I used one kind of ammunition from the same 1k box for testing consistency.
Tulammo 7.62x39 Steel Cased Non-corrosive Berdan Primed 122gr FMJ

The PTR-32 was broken in per PTR Industries instructions. After the break-in I checked the head space and it passed with an acceptable bolt gap.
During the break-in I fired 200 rounds of ammunition through the factory Magpul magazine (it took a while) and had NO FTF issues.

Then I started shooting the firearm using the various magazines I had preloaded with 10 rounds of ammunition each. Here is the breakdown.

1. Tapco 20rnd- Had one FTF at round 4-5. (note this magazine had been painted on the inside which may have interfered with bullet movement.)
2. Promag 20rnd- Had multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
3. Bulgarian Circle 10 30rnd- Tight fit, difficult to seat but functioned with no issues.
4. Tapco 30rnd- Functioned with no issues.
5. Bulgarian Bullet Magazine 40rnd- Multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
6. Bulgarian Circle 10 40rnd- Tight fit and multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
7. Bulgarian Circle 10 40rnd #2- Tight fit with one FTF at round 3.
8. Euro Steel #1- Had one FTF at round 2.
9. Euro Steel #2- Functioned with no issues.
10. Euro Steel #3- Had one FTF at round 6-7
11. Euro Steel #4- Had one FTF at round 10.
12. Euro Steel #5- Functioned with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
13. Euro Steel #6-Had multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
14.Euro Steel #7-Had two FTF at round 3 and round 10.
15. Euro Steel #8- Got through most of the magazine and then found a round did not chamber, on inspection I found that the follower had gotten stuck in the magazine body so the rounds would not raise. Magazine discarded from test, not a fault of the firearm.
16. Euro Steel #9- Had multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
17. Euro Steel #10- Had one FTF at round 10.
18. Yugo Bolt Hold Open Magazine Steel- Multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
19. Hungarian Tanker #1- Multiple FTF, deemed unusable.
20. Hungarian Tanker #2- Had one FTF at round 10.
21. Chinese 10 round #1- Multiple failure to feed after round 5, deemed unusable.
22. Chinese 10 round #2-  FTF after round 3, magazine was lodged into the receiver somehow, took some pounding to get it out, did not finish testing it.
23. Magpul factory magazine- Functioned with no issues.

A trend I noticed while shooting was that metal magazines generally had no issues until it got to the final round.
Also interesting to note is that when the rifle has a FTF, it really dents and damages the round.. I did not attempted to re-chamber any that failed to feed, but I am considering putting them in a magazine and blasting them out of my AKs to see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
First Impressions:
- - - - - - - - - -
I don't know who had the idea to put a rubberized charging handle on this type of firearm.. but it was a horrible idea.. I tore the rubber sleeve off on accident several times. The first upgrade I would recommend would be to replace with with either a GI one, a standard plastic type or with a HK21 look-alike.

The recoil from this gun is negligible, it is extremely comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time with the stock furniture. I think it would look better with a collapsible stock and wide forearm, but that kind of stock would definitely reduce the comfort level.

I'm already debating whether I should keep it or not (that's nothing new, my buyer's remorse is insane). I don't think I got a bad one.. I think the design is just too picky for surplus magazines considering it wasn't really designed for those specific kind in the first place.
I think I'll pick up a couple more Magpul magazines and see if they function fine.. if they do it's definitely something to consider keeping around to use with Magpul magazines only.
Assuming it will continue to function with the new metal-reinforced Magpul magazines, then it would definitely be a viable option then for a reliable fun-gun.

To be fair this was a very limited range test so I think it depends on what you want to do with it.
I have many AK rifles, lots of AK magazines and tons of 7.62x39mm.. I bought this gun to be a range toy not any kind of tactical/self-defense/survival rifle.. and using proper magazines with it I think it will perform that role just fine.

Edit: Sorry about splitting up the post so much, I don't have enough posts under my belt to post it under one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Great report.

I put a HK 21 or 23 extended charging handle on mine and it's tons better.

Mine is a gen 1 and it's 100% with magpul and tapco mags. I had similar issues with any kind if steel mags, but that's ok as I have plenty of magpuls and the tapcos are down to $5-6 lately.

I also have a promag 72 or 73 rd drum and it fits great but I haven't tried it yet
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I do have some Wolf.. somewhere.
I'll try to get back out there with the same set of magazines and do the test again. I'll be covered up with work so it may be a week or two before I have another chance.

I might want to pick up a wide forearm before I do it though, that slim handguard got HOT!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I would not use bolt hold open mags in a roller locked gun.  If the bolt is held to stop the bolt group from coming forward, the locking piece will tend to drive the rollers out into the rails of the receiver.  If you look at the .40 caliber roller locked BHO feature, the carrier is held back not the bolt.  Of course you can use whatever mags you want, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to use BHO mags with a roller locked gun to me.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for taking the time do post your results.  Interesting, I am wanting one of these rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
When are you gonna get some more PTR 32 KFR?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I can wait for my tax return to bring one of these to my sear.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When are you gonna get some more PTR 32 KFR?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a short follow-up, I ordered a bunch of extras and accessories for my PTRs, for the 32 I got a collapsible stock, wide forearm, standard charging handle, painted pinned and clipped metal lower. Mostly aesthetic changes.. I should really take some pictures..
One thing I noticed was that with the constant reloading with 7.62x39, the third point clip for the sling on the wide forearm is a huge finger hazard.. so I'll be drilling that out. It's funny I don't notice it on my PTR-91.
The recoil with the collapsible stock is still very light, and while the cheek weld isn't the same, it's still very usable.

I wasn't able to repeat the test but I took 3 magazines down with me, all loaded with 30 rounds of the same Tulammo I used the first time. The Magpul factory magazine functioned with no issues. The Circle-10 Magazine functioned with no issues. The random (non-BHO) steel magazine I picked up had problems every 1-3 rounds. I stopped firing the last magazine about halfway through.

The reason I stopped is because I wanted to test a 4th magazine in my Arsenal SLR-101, that contained all the FTF and damaged rounds from my initial range test. I had about 26-29 rounds in it. The Arsenal fired the remnants of the steel magazine that had feed issues int he PTR-32 with no issues, then the fourth magazine, which was steel too, failed to load (racking the charging handle) the first two rounds, but afterwards, loaded and fired all the rounds with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just a short follow-up, I ordered a bunch of extras and accessories for my PTRs, for the 32 I got a collapsible stock, wide forearm, standard charging handle, painted pinned and clipped metal lower. Mostly aesthetic changes.. I should really take some pictures..

One thing I noticed was that with the constant reloading with 7.62x39, the third point clip for the sling on the wide forearm is a huge finger hazard.. so I'll be drilling that out. It's funny I don't notice it on my PTR-91.

The recoil with the collapsible stock is still very light, and while the cheek weld isn't the same, it's still very usable.

I wasn't able to repeat the test but I took 3 magazines down with me, all loaded with 30 rounds of the same Tulammo I used the first time. The Magpul factory magazine functioned with no issues. The Circle-10 Magazine functioned with no issues. The random (non-BHO) steel magazine I picked up had problems every 1-3 rounds. I stopped firing the last magazine about halfway through.

The reason I stopped is because I wanted to test a 4th magazine in my Arsenal SLR-101, that contained all the FTF and damaged rounds from my initial range test. I had about 26-29 rounds in it. The Arsenal fired the remnants of the steel magazine that had feed issues int he PTR-32 with no issues, then the fourth magazine, which was steel too, failed to load (racking the charging handle) the first two rounds, but afterwards, loaded and fired all the rounds with no issues.
View Quote
Thanks for the follow up.  Would you recommend one ?  I am wanting to get one.  Also wondering how much the stock and wide forearm set you back ?

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
You know it's like anything else, do you want one? For me it was a choice between this or an MP5 clone.. I shoot a whole lot more 7.62x39 than I do 9mm so this made sense for me.

I think it boils down to what you want to do with it. It's a great range toy and so far very reliable with proper magazines. Can't say I'd recommend it if you're looking for an end of the world rifle to use with any available surplus magazines.. but that's just from my experiences, I'd be interested to see how others do with them.

Warning, if you go to the below website and own any HK pattern rifles, hide your card or checkbook because if you're like me you'll revert to playing dress-up!
Wide Forearm
Collapsible Stock (I bought the last one I think, but there are others for a little more money, plus other websites out there)
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread is relative to my interests because I was considering this rifle as a replacement for my AK. Reliability is, of course, important. However, for me accuracy isequally important. My AK's group 2 1/2 inches and 3 inches at 50 yards and that is the best they can do. I have seen pictures of other 7.62x39 rifles accomplishing moa groups and this is what I want. I'm just trying to narrow down the selection to find the best one. Unfortunately, this one does not sound like a contender.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread is relative to my interests because I was considering this rifle as a replacement for my AK. Reliability is, of course, important. However, for me accuracy isequally important. My AK's group 2 1/2 inches and 3 inches at 50 yards and that is the best they can do. I have seen pictures of other 7.62x39 rifles accomplishing moa groups and this is what I want. I'm just trying to narrow down the selection to find the best one. Unfortunately, this one does not sound like a contender.
View Quote

If accuracy is what you're looking for, why not buy the CMMG Mk47 Mutant?

I owned and loved the PTR32 I had, but the Mk47 seems like it has the best accuracy potential from a weapon that accepts AK mags, being based on an AR (free floated barrel, etc)
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't the barrel on these HK variants free floated also?  If the barrels are good, I would think these things should be fairly accurate.  Maybe not to the potential of an AR variant, but better than an AK?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
15. Euro Steel #8- Got through most of the magazine and then found a round did not chamber, on inspection I found that the follower had gotten stuck in the magazine body so the rounds would not raise. Magazine discarded from test, not a fault of the firearm.
21. Chinese 10 round #1- Multiple failure to feed after round 5, deemed unusable.
22. Chinese 10 round #2-  FTF after round 3, magazine was lodged into the receiver somehow, took some pounding to get it out, did not finish testing it.

A trend I noticed while shooting was that metal magazines generally had no issues until it got to the final round.
Also interesting to note is that when the rifle has a FTF, it really dents and damages the round.. I did not attempted to re-chamber any that failed to feed, but I am considering putting them in a magazine and blasting them out of my AKs to see what happens.
View Quote

Good grief man! That sounds like my experience with my Gen 1 PTR 32! The only mags I could get to reliably feed and function more than 1 round from were the commercial Bulgarian slabside (polymer) mags that came with it, and the 40 round commercial Bulgarian "bullet" mags, both of those types fed 100%. Also what you say about how the rounds get dented/damaged if there is a feed issue or FTF I can attest to from my experience with the Gen 1 model--I literally needed a large rubber mallet to hit the charging handle back (without breaking it) in order to get the bolt unstuck and clear the gun.

Thank you for posting this initial evaluation. I know you are not trying to present this as representative of all or most of the new Gen 2 PTR-32s, and I have no doubt the rifles Atlantic reviewed personally for testing ran great as they have said--but I must say, I really hope your initial range testing is an anomaly, and that we don't start hearing more range reports like this for these new Gen 2 guns. I was really excited to hear PTR was releasing these again this year, but IF (not saying they HAVE, but IF) they have dropped the ball on these again after all this time spent re-engineering/re-working and the new Gen 2s turn out to be mostly like the Gen 1s in terms of reliability with most metal AK mags,  IMO PTR's reputation would/should take a serious hit.

Nobody in their right mind can realistically expect ALL metal surplus (new or used, Euro or other) AK mags to fit and feed 100% in every gun (including AKs!) but if SIG could figure it out with their 556R Gen 2s (mine functioned flawlessly, even with Yugo BHO mags), why not PTR?  Again, I'm not saying all or most of the Gen 2 PTR 32s will exhibit some of the problems you have thus far with yours, but I am a bit disappointed to hear this about one of the first ones to be released to the public.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You know it's like anything else, do you want one? For me it was a choice between this or an MP5 clone.. I shoot a whole lot more 7.62x39 than I do 9mm so this made sense for me.

I think it boils down to what you want to do with it. It's a great range toy and so far very reliable with proper magazines. Can't say I'd recommend it if you're looking for an end of the world rifle to use with any available surplus magazines.. but that's just from my experiences, I'd be interested to see how others do with them.

Warning, if you go to the below website and own any HK pattern rifles, hide your card or checkbook because if you're like me you'll revert to playing dress-up!

Wide Forearm

Collapsible Stock (I bought the last one I think, but there are others for a little more money, plus other websites out there)
View Quote
I do think I'll end up getting one to go alongside my AK.  I have a thing for HK guns, I can afford any HK long guns or MP5 clones so this will have to do

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I owned and loved the PTR32 I had, but the Mk47 seems like it has the best accuracy potential from a weapon that accepts AK mags, being based on an AR (free floated barrel, etc)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with your logic, but the mk47 is beyond the budget.  Until I see more range reports showing this as a wondergun, this will sit on the maybe list while I keep looking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good grief man! That sounds like my experience with my Gen 1 PTR 32! The only mags I could get to reliably feed and function more than 1 round from were the commercial Bulgarian slabside (polymer) mags that came with it, and the 40 round commercial Bulgarian "bullet" mags, both of those types fed 100%. Also what you say about how the rounds get dented/damaged if there is a feed issue or FTF I can attest to from my experience with the Gen 1 model--I literally needed a large rubber mallet to hit the charging handle back (without breaking it) in order to get the bolt unstuck and clear the gun.

Thank you for posting this initial evaluation. I know you are not trying to present this as representative of all or most of the new Gen 2 PTR-32s, and I have no doubt the rifles Atlantic reviewed personally for testing ran great as they have said--but I must say, I really hope your initial range testing is an anomaly, and that we don't start hearing more range reports like this for these new Gen 2 guns. I was really excited to hear PTR was releasing these again this year, but IF (not saying they HAVE, but IF) they have dropped the ball on these again after all this time spent re-engineering/re-working and the new Gen 2s turn out to be mostly like the Gen 1s in terms of reliability with most metal AK mags,  IMO PTR's reputation would/should take a serious hit.

Nobody in their right mind can realistically expect ALL metal surplus (new or used, Euro or other) AK mags to fit and feed 100% in every gun (including AKs!) but if SIG could figure it out with their 556R Gen 2s (mine functioned flawlessly, even with Yugo BHO mags), why not PTR?  Again, I'm not saying all or most of the Gen 2 PTR 32s will exhibit some of the problems you have thus far with yours, but I am a bit disappointed to hear this about one of the first ones to be released to the public.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same issues. Ghillie suggested that I change  the locking lever spring in/on the bolt carrier and it started running reliably.  For some reason, PTR used a cut down spring instead of the full sized G3 spring.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree with your logic, but the mk47 is beyond the budget.  Until I see more range reports showing this as a wondergun, this will sit on the maybe list while I keep looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give it a little while. They will come down in price. Street for the lower end model will likely end up around $1100.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Guess I'll have to.  I'm afraid of how long I'll have to wait, though.  For example, I've been waiting for a long time for the Tavors to come down (along with everyone else on Gunbroker who won't touch them for much over $1500) and they're just not.
CMMG makes a great product and I wouldn't mind adding one of them to the ranks in that caliber.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Can you post pics of the wide forearm and Collapsable stock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, here's the results of the second real test I've done. I even took a clipboard with me this time!
I used WPA Performance 7.62x39mm 123 Gr. HP Steel case. Now this isn't 100% fair because last time I used FMJ, and HP bullets are known to jam in AKs until the feed ramp gets a little wear.. but it was the only WPA (or non-Tulammo) I had.. I'm shockingly low on 7.62x39 as it turns out..
It also doesn't help that I had forgotten to lubricate the damn thing.. So I was running it almost totally dry until after #7. After which it seems to improve in number of FTFs.. but without repeating the test with a lubed gun it doesn't mean anything.

I didn't take all the magazines from last time, but all of these magazines were part of the last test. Again, 10 rounds in each magazine.

1. Magpul Magazine- No Issues
2. Tapco 20rnd- No issues
3. Circle 10 30rnd- 4 FTF
4. Promag 20rnd- 3FTF, one failure to chamber
5. Circle 10 40rnd- 2 FTF
6. Bulgarian Bullet 40rnd- 4 FTF, first four rounds. I gave up and moved on.
7. Steel Euro #1- 2 FTF
8. Steel Euro #2- 1 FTF
9. Steel Euro #3- 4 FTF
10. Steel Euro #4- 1 FTF
11. Hungarian Tanker- 1 FTF
12. Norinco 10rnd- 2 FTF
<Continued>
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I shoot on my personal property, I like to keep it relatively clean so as I am stacking brass (steel, in this case), to invoke Lewis Black: "I HAD A REALLY BAD IDEA!". I sorted out all the FTFs I had and loaded them into the Magpul magazine. All the rounds that were damaged, smashed, dented, scratched and gouged. I loaded it up in the PTR-32 and fired all of them. WITH NO ISSUES! I was genuinely surprised.

I had a worse idea then. I had found 3 rounds of FTFs from the first test I did. They were rusty because they had been rained on. I loaded them up in the same magazine and they all fired as well.

Replacing the locking lever spring is an idea.. wouldn't be hard and springs are cheap, I may buy one just for giggles to try and see if there is a difference.
As the gun sits now, I'll pick up some more Magpul magazines and it'll be a fun-gun.

My next plan is to buy some brass-cased hunting 7.62x39mm and see what kind of accuracy can be squeezed out of the rifle.So far I have only been shooting into a berm, not at targets. I'm not looking for sub MOA, just something good for <100 yard shots at hogs around here. Since I am in the process of selling my RFB, I'll probably invest in some night vision too.

And now pictures to make it a real range report! A local shop had a painted safety/selector lever that matched my clipped and pinned lower just laying around they gave me for free. A nice detail since the one I purchased was parkerized and didn't match.
Sorry, I know my camera sucks.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
That's ALOT of malfunctions
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's ALOT of malfunctions
View Quote

I think it's important to remember here though that I was running not only a dry gun for most of the test, but one with hollow point bullets.. The tips of the FTF bullets were flattened and smashed, unlike with the FMJ FTFs I had previously, making me think that's what caused some of the failures as several of the FTF HP bullets were undamaged other than the tip.

Now this may very well be something specific to my gun. I'm probably going to call PTR and talk to them, just to see what they have to say on the matter.

What I think is happening.. is that the bolt is not properly picking up the round sometimes, so it begins to slide over it and hit the body of the case, which of course causes the stoppage. This could be caused by a number of things so I'm not going to try to pin-point it just yet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been following this thread closely OP.  Thanks for the update.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had the same issues. Ghillie suggested that I change  the locking lever spring in/on the bolt carrier and it started running reliably.  For some reason, PTR used a cut down spring instead of the full sized G3 spring.
View Quote

Same here. Performed the Ghillie mods on my Gen1 as well. Still limited to the slab side mags though. That last round failure to feed mentioned by the OP is exactly the way mine behaved early on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Same here. Performed the Ghillie mods on my Gen1 as well. Still limited to the slab side mags though. That last round failure to feed mentioned by the OP is exactly the way mine behaved early on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot to mention it, but I called and had a chat with PTR the other day, forget his name but the guy I talked to was helpful and knowledgeable. I told him about the suggestion to swap out the spring and he told me that they are using standard and unmodified locking lever springs on these.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Anything new on the ptr?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Have pondered getting one, but the reports are scaring me off
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Took my PTR32 Gen ll to the farm yesterday, just purchased from Atlantic, gave it thorough baptism.  Same ammo and issues as WMTX91.

Pmag was the only reliable mag, the rest sucked, Tapco, Bulgarian, and metal. PTR must have built the mag well and release around the Pmag.  I can't get most of the metal mags to insert, it is a workout just changing mags and you better be wearing gloves.

It shoots great and is accurate, but it's a lot of work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Gen 1 and have had nothing but 100% success with my rifle.  I cut the magwell myself and both drums and mags function perfectly. I have a Fleming sear and just love the setup. Like to know the differences between gen1 & gen2.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a Gen 1 and have had nothing but 100% success with my rifle.  I cut the magwell myself and both drums and mags function perfectly. I have a Fleming sear and just love the setup. Like to know the differences between gen1 & gen2.
View Quote

So you can run surplus steel AK mags through your Gen 1 PTR 32 without any modifications at all to the mags (filing, etc.)? I believe you if you're telling us this, it's just that most of us who owned a Gen 1 could not reliably run any steel AK mags through it, the only ones that worked at all in mine were the commercial Bulgarian slab-slide polymers and the commercial Bulgarian "bullet"  30 and 40 round mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Look at my reply in the other PTR32 Gen ll thread.  

Not good, the BS I got from PTR customer service manager reminded me of trying to buy a car from a used car salesman.  He didn't appreciate my colorful language.

Oh well, not a pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ASH , Please contact our office about this via email , we have tested several PTR 32 pistols and rifles and had No issues with the various mags we tested both fitting & cycling with the gun. There may be something that needs to be tweaked with the gun and both Atlantic and PTR will be glad to help you out .
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Atlantic - How is the inventory/supply looking?  Restocking soon on the rifles?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a ptr32 sbr
I replaced the hts, upgraded to a rifle spring and a few other things
Gun runs like a champ even suppressed
I ran pmags and other com block mags with no issues
I started to run into issues its my last com block mag then realized they where bho which they state they would have issues
I can tell you this is one of my fav guns and super smooth
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#44]
My rifle is on the way back from Atlantic. They were able to get it to function with 6 of the 7 mags I sent with the rifle, they marked the bad one.  This is great news!

I'm anxious to confirm and will update my results soon, should be next weekend.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I feel like weighing in again, while I initially had reservations about the idea of an SBR, I've been really reconsidering it and have been looking at buying one of four firearms, the PTR 51P PDW in .308, the PTR 32P in 7.62x39 or a "real" mp5 clone, preferably an AA 89 KFS or POF 5PK in 9mm.

Obviously I'm trying to stay with in the relative size and profile of an MP5.. while I've always wanted an MP5 or MP5K clone, they are noticeably more (1500-2000) than the PTR offerings, which hover at or under 1k.

The added benefits of interchangeable magazines for the PTRs is a definite plus since I have plenty of G3 and AK magazines. On the other hand, I don't really see the point of an 8" barrel for a .308 (Just seems silly), and I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with my later dealings with PTR. I called up there a few more times about my initial issues with my Gen II 32 rifle and I had customer service experiences similar to Assh (the quality of them, not the content).

What I did eventually learn from PTR was that my early serial number rifle has a different magazine attachment method than the newer rifles. I could never get them to tell or show me what the new rifles look like in the magwell but they told me that they are not using that method any more, which I asked if I should send mine back for the updated method, they told me not to worry about it unless it breaks which.. doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

So right now I'm on the fence about buying another PTR 32 in pistol form or just going with an MP5 clone, though I'm heavily leaning towards the latter as of right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top