Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2014 11:19:37 PM EDT
Hey guys got a couple questions  about a Springfield SAR-8. I am looking to round out my .308 battle rifle collection and I found an SAR -8 locally. It's a SAR-8 sporter and made by EBO in Greece and has the fake muzzle device with the fake slots in the side.

How do these compare to the PTR's? What is the market value for one in sportter condition?

What will it take to convey this from its shorter configuration and is it threaded underneath the muzzle break.

All help is appreciated
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
pics?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]

The rest of the gun looks really good
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thumbhole stock?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
These are excellent  rifles.
They are the nearest to the HK91 as you can get in a clone.
The fake flash hider is welded, and you would have to cut the thing off with a cutting wheel along the axis of the barrel and split it off to save the threads.

You would also have to add US made parts to comply with 922r .

I have one of these, an SAR3 and an SAR 3/8.

They all shoot very well, and about the same.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's my story about my recent greek sar8 acquisition. $975 otd. Hope it helps!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/429817_UPDATE_in_op__Got_it_home_with_pics____Springfield_Greek_sar8_at_local_gunshop_.html
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the EBO marked overstamped SAR8's.Fit/finish/weld are all as good as my real HK91--which it should be since they were made on HK tooling by HK trained techs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thumbhole stock?
View Quote

Yes it has e thumb hole stock. I know it needs to be 922r compliant but I can just slap on a hk stock and  pistol grip as long as I have the other parts

Can anyone confirm that there are threads underneath the flash hider?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:50:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Be advised that the pics shown with the fake FH  DOES NOT have threads underneath.  The version prior to the fake FH that had a odd looking large thread cover/nub does have threads underneath.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I was afraid of.

What would it cost me and where could I go to get the FH removed and have be barrel threaded and a new FH installed?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What would it cost me and where could I go to get the FH removed and have be barrel threaded and a new FH installed?
View Quote

You may not want to do this depending on how the pin interfaces with the barrel that was welded over on the fake suppressor.  It looks like it would be too far back to be covered by the new suppressor since the barrel goes all the way to the end of the fake suppressor if you want to keep the barrel at 18"

You may want to have the barrel cut to 16.125" and threaded so the pin hole in the barrel would not be visible, assuming the barrel length is still 18".  

Hard to say what it would cost since the barrel is not easily mounted in a lathe unless it is removed from the receiver.  Your barrel might have to be removed to thread it properly.  Not a simple task on an HK.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Get ahold of Morgan on the EE Here. He can cut and thread a HK barrel without removing it from the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I was afraid of.

View Quote

There are a lot of good HK 'smiths out there but Mark has been at it for quite some time.  http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/hk/pagesmithhk.shtml
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy it ! That appears to be a SAR 3 overstamp to a SAR 8. .
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 3 overstamp 8 rifles had a different muzzle thread cover.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, it's a post 89 SAR 8. Read the post by SteyrAUG Here for lots of useful info on HK clones and variants.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one that was a total pos. Jammed and was inaccurate. Must have got a dud.
Pistol grip stock
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pistol grip stock
View Quote

A Greek one or the aluminum.?
NEVER heard of a bad greek SAR
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistol grip stock

I Believe it was the cast aluminum. Green furniture, slim handguard.
Apologies if i mixed it up with what yall are talking about
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#19]
So what do we think the current market price with the flashhider and thumb hole stock?

If I convert it over I don't want to be in it for more money than it's worth
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a SAR-3 overstamp 8 and it's the best HK-91 clone I've seen, very nice. The Greek ones are made on HK tooling and as close as you can get to an actual HK-91 without paying HK prices. The thick aluminum receivers are the worst POS guns however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top