Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:06 PM EDT
Has the Century C93 Got all Of the Problems Worked Out?

Researched and read some bad press on the bolts from 2010-12 and was wondering if they were currently GTG?

Appreciate your weigh in
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy anything CAI makes at your own risk. They have changed their warranty policy to 'one year from when we shipped it', so you may have no recourse if it doesn't work.

If it's a good enough deal, I might go for it. But look at it as buying a parts kits that may need to be rebuilt and parts replaced.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one that appears to be a recent build. My bolt gap was a .013, the sights were straight,  factory mags lock up as they should, and it didn't have that
Unnecessary weld all the way around the trunnion. I threw in a set of plus 4 rollers which brought the gap
To .019. After 400 rounds the gap appears to be holding at .018. I'm verry happy with my purchase.

Eta: The bolts weren't a problem, it was the bolt gap on some rifles. While the bolt head does affect bolt gap it is
Only one piece of the puzzle. Read up on bolt gap, what it is, how to adjust it, what problems are associated with
Too much or too little gap, how to properly check bolt gap, and what the proper specs are.
There are weeks worth of reading on the subject over at hkpro.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought one that appears to be a recent build. My bolt gap was a .013, the sights were straight,  factory mags lock up as they should, and it didn't have that
Unnecessary weld all the way around the trunnion. I threw in a set of plus 4 rollers which brought the gap
To .019. After 400 rounds the gap appears to be holding at .018. I'm verry happy with my purchase.

Eta: The bolts weren't a problem, it was the bolt gap on some rifles. While the bolt head does affect bolt gap it is
Only one piece of the puzzle. Read up on bolt gap, what it is, how to adjust it, what problems are associated with
Too much or too little gap, how to properly check bolt gap, and what the proper specs are.
View Quote

Thank you for your responses; this was not what I was looking for in a $600+ rifle, and will just go ahead and pass on this gun.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you for your responses; this was not what I was looking for in a $600+ rifle, and will just go ahead and pass on this gun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not let not knowing about HK bolt gap stop you from buying a HK rifle.  
Century arms sells more HK, AK and Uzi rifles than all the other sellers of these type rifles combined.  With such huge amounts of guns being sold you are going to hear about complaints.  They are not a custom builder putting out the highest quality on every rifle but likely 99% of their guns work and look fine.

You also have to realize that in a world of high priced hobby the cheapest stuff no matter how good is going to be picked at.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought one last summer.  Runs like a top.  The front sight is welded on crooked if you look closely but with the rear all the way over I was able to zero.  I'm sure century will fix one that can't be zeroed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one though. Checking bolt gap takes less than a minute and a $5 set of feeler
Gauges from your local auto parts store. If you can see the rifle in person and verify the gap is good, I say buy it.
These rifles are a lot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy anything CAI makes at your own risk. They have changed their warranty policy to 'one year from when we shipped it', so you may have no recourse if it doesn't work.

If it's a good enough deal, I might go for it. But look at it as buying a parts kits that may need to be rebuilt and parts replaced.

AJ
View Quote

What your reffering to is the distirbutor warranty not the consumer warranty.

Consumer Warranty
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one though. Checking bolt gap takes less than a minute and a $5 set of feeler
Gauges from your local auto parts store. If you can see the rifle in person and verify the gap is good, I say buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new or even used gun will not indicate whether or not the barrel/trunion fit is correct.  Bolt gap can decrease after a few rounds or even a few hundred.  You can get a "new" gun with a good gap but unless you put several hundreds of rounds downrange, that gap can wander from slightly to greatly.  Barrel pressing can be time consuming to get a good gap and can be ruined if the barrel pin hole is drilled reamed incorrectly.  I had the opportunity to hand pick from over a dozen C93's from a local dealer but passed.  A better option is to buy a 93 style rifle from a reputable HK smith or get one built from the ground up, IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine has been good to go.

Ive got maybe 400 or so through mine. I finally measured bolt gap. I got to .012 with wiggle room left. Estimating .015. If it ever goes out of spec, I will likely just run it until it doesn't run anymore

Probably my best impulse buy ever
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine has been rock solid. I really enjoy shooting it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Rock solid and runs pretty damn cool with a Fleming Sear.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a older one and it is a hunk of junk. MKE clear mags will not work they are to tall, pro mags work for three rounds and then jam up, and real hk mags run good but fall out while shooting it I have a feeling when I send it to ghille it is going to need a new receiver so basically an overpriced parts kit. I will say though my brother bought one the same time and his runs like a champ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top