Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2014 3:35:31 PM EDT
Been tossing around the idea of getting an AR10 pattern rifle but the price and cleaner lines of the PTR/G3 platform are drawing me in. Really looking at the 91k classic, and wanted to know how people who have one like theirs? Is the bolt gap thing really that big an issue? What are some issues/concerns I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a HK91 back in the ban days and foolishly sold it. I now have a PTR 91 GI and it has been a good rifle. However I just sent the rifle back to PTR to have a shrinking bolt gap addressed, I should get the rifle back tomorrow and will watch the gap closely. The warranty svc was great, which it should be.

The rifle is very accurate and has been 100% reliable with any ammo used steel and brass cased surplus, fit and finish is vey good as well.

If the gap shrinks again I am not sure what I will do.  I have been eyeing the new DPMS GII AR10.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your intended purpose for the gun? Iron sight fun at the range, scoped dmr type rifle,etc?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a HK91 back in the ban days and foolishly sold it. I now have a PTR 91 GI and it has been a good rifle. However I just sent the rifle back to PTR to have a shrinking bolt gap addressed, I should get the rifle back tomorrow and will watch the gap closely. The warranty svc was great, which it should be.

The rifle is very accurate and has been 100% reliable with any ammo used steel and brass cased surplus, fit and finish is vey good as well.

If the gap shrinks again I am not sure what I will do.  I have been eyeing the new DPMS GII AR10.

View Quote

Iron sight range toy, AR-10 type would be low power optic range toy
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an AW series PTR with mostly contract parts in it and the dreaded shallow fluted TC barrel. If you read about these guns you'll see people posting stupid things such as they only run on American Eagle ammunition.

It was a solid MOA shooter with average factory ammo and ate pretty much anything except shitty surplus. Lake City XM80 functioned good and accuracy was "acceptable". These rifles got a lot of hate because at the time South African ammunition was plentiful and cheap. Now surplus is almost non existent.

I only sold it because I made a good profit on it. I wish I would have kept it as I imagine with some trigger work and an optic it would be a good shooter.

I'm going to get an A3S from Atlantic Firearms. I honestly believe these are the best value in a semi automatic 308 that just works. Plus their customer service seems spot on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally not a terribly big fan of the rail. If i could get it off, I'd get a k3p and do a form 1 on it
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased this GI the first year they came out, gap is holding up nicely, don't forget after 2 -3 thousand rounds if your gap does shrink you can always put in +2 rollers.

Easy to do.

HDH.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I purchased this GI the first year they came out, gap is holding up nicely, don't forget after 2 -3 thousand rounds if your gap does shrink you can always put in +2 rollers.

Easy to do.

HDH.
View Quote

Yeah, but after having ar's and ak's it's just one of those tings that I don't really want to have to do. I just want a rifle that I can shoot and clean and not have to worry about head space or bolt gap changing almost at random
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
"at random" doesn't apply. The more you shoot it the more rollers will wear... just like any other wear-and-tear item.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"at random" doesn't apply. The more you shoot it the more rollers will wear... just like any other wear-and-tear item.
View Quote

This. It will go a lot more than 2000 rounds before needing them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So having to go up a size in rollers is normal for even HK91's and SAR-3 and 8's at some point?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So having to go up a size in rollers is normal for even HK91's and SAR-3 and 8's at some point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About as normal as needing a new barrel eventually
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one of the PTR-91 Classics and could not be happier with it.  I've replaced the Navy lower with a clipped an pinned  steel lower.

Here are before and after photos.

As received.

With the new lower and wood hand grip.

If you get one, you will not regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top