Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2014 12:24:20 AM EDT
I am planning to get back into reloading due to the current high price of .308/7.62x51 ammo which seems to be at least 70 cents a round.  I have ended up with some faster powders intended for pistols and shotguns. They are easier to find these days for me and also the charges required are less and so a lb. of it goes further.   It would seem that a reduced load with these powders should be capable of producing high enough chamber pressures to function the action.  Does anyone here have experience with such loads.  These rounds would be for ranges less than 100 yards for use against steel plates.  I have a large quantity of military boxer primed brass and a bit also of berdan primed brass.  I will use lighter wt jacketed bullets.  

I am aware of special reduced loads that require special bolt parts and I am not interested in those.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they have lighter spring kits for shooting that cheap plastic stuff. Don't know where to find them though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You can also change locking peices to get the action to unlock earlier. Steeper angle* will open faster.

Locking pieces are available here: http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Locking-Piece-18-50-Degree-US-p2522.htm

AJ

*I have no clue what locking peice will function with your loads. Too short of delay will result in burst cartridges, possible damage to your rifle, and might even put your eye out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top