Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:33:23 PM EDT
Had the HK for over a decade, tried to like it, but never did. Same thing about the 308.

No matter what you do with it, it won't group better than 2-2.5 MOA.  I've done a everything possible except for replacing the barrel. Trigger job, a scope that costs as much as the rifle, G3-SG1 stock, heavy duty bipod, match ammo, etc. Even installed a harmonics device to improve accuracy, apparently it's a gimmick.

Lack of rail, mags without the anti-tilt feature and of the JFK vintage. I don't have a LBV for the G3 mags.  

Plus the whole contraption is just too heavy. With the stock extended, it's just right when you are prone but too long when you are not.  The rifle is heavy, mags are heavy and ammo is heavy. It's all bulky.

Also I am deeply concerned about parts availability in the future.

I guess the only positive thing I can say about it, it never, ever jams. Not once in 15 years.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never found the lack of anti tilt follower to be a problem for any straight mag.  Even if a bulet nose dived in the mag I am not sure I would have ever noticed it as my HK chambered it no problem.  As far as less than steller MOA I just acctepted it as part of the pay to play.  Great guns but I have often thought of selling mine.  Since I inherited it from a now dead relative I won't.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:... No matter what you do with it, it won't group better than 2-2.5 MOA....
View Quote

That's actually not bad. Despite what the Special Forces Seal Ninja Snipers on the internet claim, the best accuracy that most unmodified military rifles are capable of with standard ball ammo is 3-4" groups. The army considers 4" groups from it's new M4's normal and adequate. British Enfield sniper rifles were specially selected and tuned and were expected to shoot groups that were 1" wide and 3" high.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a point, I understand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had the HK for over a decade, tried to like it, but never did. Same thing about the 308.

No matter what you do with it, it won't group better than 2-2.5 MOA.  I've done a everything possible except for replacing the barrel. Trigger job, a scope that costs as much as the rifle, G3-SG1 stock, heavy duty bipod, match ammo, etc. Even installed a harmonics device to improve accuracy, apparently it's a gimmick.
View Quote

My limited understanding is to get real accuracy a heavy barrel is a must.  I can think of no SPR that has a light profile barrel.  If precision turns you on, PTR does make a couple of heavy barrel variants.  Sell the HK 91 and buy a PTR heavy barreled variant.  The original G3, the basis for the 91, rifles were built as an "off the rack" type of rifle.  The barrel was a compromise between something a man can shoot and something that man can carry.  I'm a big roller locked fan.  I've got four PTR receivers, a couple of FMP parts sets and a few mags tucked away (none of which will be for sale).  So some day I'll eventually have them built, but I have no big desire.  I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to shoot a HK 91 with a sear, a RR FN FAL, and a RR M14.  None of them I found to be "fun"  I'd much rather shoot 5.56X45 or 7.62X39, or pistol caliber roller locks.  The medium calibers, aren't as heavy, are less expensive to shoot, and don't "pound" me as much as .308.  Some guys love that caliber, but so far, I'm not a big fan.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell it. It's not for everybody.

Dibs on the SG1 stock :)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't worry about parts.  The parts are everywhere, and the ones you have never break anyway.  I don't like mine so much as I bought a SCAR and that leaves the brass a little nicer and is easier to shoot.  I've gotten to a rough MOA once I played with the trigger and got a better buffer.  I'll keep mine as it's still a neat gun, and reliable as the sun coming up.  Can't believe tiny people all over the globe have to carry this gun for a living.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't believe tiny people all over the globe have to carry this gun for a living.
View Quote

I remember once when I was down in Mexico have a beer with a colleague.  We were in a little bar minding our own business when two Humvees full of soldiers pull up and screeched to a halt.  Soldiers immediately dismounted and fanned out around the parking lot.  Everyone was called out and told to stand next to their vehicles while a team of soldiers conducted a vehicle search.  One soldier would stand guard while his partner searched.

I had nothing in my car to worry about and nothing too exciting happened but it wasn't a very pleasant feeling to be in a foreign country looking down the business end of a G3.

Ah, memories....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top