Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 2:40:06 PM EDT
Howdy.

I have a Century that I picked up with no mags (had been planning on getting an AR mag interface installed) but I think I'm going to abandon the project and sell the gun.  So now I'm looking for a magazine and am amazed at the current prices.  I'm not in a hurry to pay the $80+ the guys want on GunBroker.

Anyone know of a source for "inexpensive" 30rd or 40rd mags?  

TIA!

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait a little longer and the Turkish mags will be plentiful again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Howdy.

I have a Century that I picked up with no mags (had been planning on getting an AR mag interface installed) but I think I'm going to abandon the project and sell the gun.  So now I'm looking for a magazine and am amazed at the current prices.  I'm not in a hurry to pay the $80+ the guys want on GunBroker.

TIA!

View Quote

Sell the rifle... I did. I also cashed out on my spare mags when I had it. Does nothing that an AR or better yet an AUG can do.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sell the rifle... I did. I also cashed out on my spare mags when I had it. Does nothing that an AR or better yet an AUG can do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howdy.

TIA!

That's the plan.  But I think it'll sell better with a mag...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can believe it, Promag 30 rounders work surprisingly well.  I got some from Midway for a fairly reasonable price.  They actually work better than the aluminum 40 rounder that came with my rifle.  David
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you can believe it, Promag 30 rounders work surprisingly well.  I got some from Midway for a fairly reasonable price.  They actually work better than the aluminum 40 rounder that came with my rifle.  David
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Variety is the spice of life, so to speak. You dont have to have the $65 HK steel mags to have a good reliable mag. I own and use both 20rd and 30rd Promags and they have yet to fail me in multiple HK93 clone rifles.

Dont hold your breath on Turkish mags. Dont waste your time. Just buy a half dozen promags and a few 40rd aluminum mags and be done with it (that goes for those of us with an HK93 or clone). If youre selling get a 30rd Promag and you will be fine.

FWIW, ive owned and fired AR15's since 1993 in both LEO and rec settings. Im bored with the AR. I did the AK thing for awile but I just could not get excited about them. A few years ago I bought an Hk91 on a whim and enjoyed it, but it didnt feel right shooting a collector. I sold it and went the '93 route and have really enjoyed the ride.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually ,it does the exact same thing with half the recoil.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's no joke. I was very surprised with how less the recoil impulse was compared to an AR.

That being said. An AR is leaps and bounds ahead of it in every other category IMHO.

But just shooting an AR gets old. Nice to switch it up!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I managed to pick up mainly HK made mags over the years.  I think I got the 20, 25, and 40 round mags from HK.  I just picked up 3 promags and had to tweek the mags springs.  From some strange reason I could only get 28 rounds before tweeking.  After stretching the prings now I get 31 rounds, I just wanted to see if the mags worked or not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup lighter too
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup lighter too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup lighter too

Lighter than a fully equipped M4 style AR maybe. My C93 with just a collapsible stock on it weighs a ton(not literally of course).
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out apex, they have four packs of aluminum HK 40 round mags for $160. Got mine yesterday, and while they had moderate wear to the finish they seem mechanically fine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a 30rd Pro Mag.  Surprisingly it actually seems pretty decent.

With the price of the real HK mags I'm somewhat surprised that Tapco hasn't gotten in on the act.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
To update--I have used the Pro Mag quite a bit over the last few days.  While it continues to feed fine, the top edge of the mag catch slot has chipped off so the mag will fall out if I put any pressure at all on the back of the magazine.  I assume it is just a matter of time before the mag won't stay latched in and will fall out under recoil.  Too bad, as these are the only option for inexpensive mags that also have the added benefit of 922r compliance.

I'll send the mag back since Promag offers a lifetime warranty.  I'm hoping they'll take note and add a little reinforcement to the catch area.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm far more accurate with my HK93 than I am any AR. The rifle is just.... smoother and less recoil. And it eats steel case garbage like a fat kid eats hohos.

I love my HK93.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Mag source, check out RTG Parts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's only got the Promags in stock.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bumpity bump for decently priced metal mags
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Look for MKE mags in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Any chance [wishing out loud here] of metal mags?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look for MKE mags in the next few weeks.

Any chance [wishing out loud here] of metal mags?

From what I understand they will bring in both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top