Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 2:21:05 AM EDT
MKE, POF? etc

All I am trying to do is a MP5K clone, no stock with the forward grip.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

View Quote

So an SP89 clone.

I'd look at DJGetz guns on HKpro or Atlantic Firearms as the best bang for your $. If you want to spend more $$, any of the custom builders (Ghillie, Dakota Tactical, Turner Fab, IGF) will give a nicer product at a higher cost.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
POF
great weapon...100's of rounds and absolutely no jams. Very accurate and HK license
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#3]
POF doesn't have a K clone that I'm aware of.  They make the reverse stretch configuration which is basically a K front end on a full size receiver.  Regardless, I'd stay away from the POF offerings.

If you want the best, it's going to come from one of the custom builders.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want an MP5K no stock WITH a forward vertical grip, that would be an AOW due to a pistol with fwd grip and less than 26" OAL. It is a $5 NFA transfer tax stamp, but still costs $200 to make one. If you are buying a built one, then it would be the $5 plus close to $3k from Dakota Tactical, DJ Getz, Turner Fabrications, TPM Outfitters. If you buy an SP89 clone (same gun, no fwd vert grip) and you AOW it yourself, you will need to Form 1 it with the $200 tax stamp. For that money I would SBR it instead, that way you have the option of stock or no stock and fwd vertical grip with or without the stock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd stay away from the POF offerings.
View Quote

That is bad advice. The POF MP5s are fantastic running weapons. I own and run more than one POF MP5 and they run great. I bet you never even have shot one.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is bad advice. The POF MP5s are fantastic running weapons. I own and run more than one POF MP5 and they run great. I bet you never even have shot one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But they don't make a k clone.  They make a reverse stretch. OP wants a K.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said regardless of type he would stay away from POF. Not just because they don't make a true K, he was bashing POF as a whole.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
MKE, if you can find one at a reasonable price. Two friends own them and they run as good as my HK, they don't look as nice but functionally they're superb.
In the interest of full disclosure I own a MKE 94 SBR, love it, among US made clones I'd grab a Dakota Tactical without hesitation if one was available.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

View Quote

That would be an NFA item AOW. (pistol with foregrip is verboten)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You can have the original SP89 foregrip, or a shorty version like this for your K with no issues. I got mine from Black Market Parts a couple of years ago on GB. I haven't seen them for sale in a while.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
+ 1 for DJ Getz. I have an A2 rifle (HK94 clone) from him. It's awesome!
I'd like to get one of his K guns
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I've tried several different clones, special weapons, coharie, black market parts, etc - mostly Todd bailey associated companies. Long story short some turned out OK, few turned out good and most turned out bad.

Then I got a DJ Getz MP5 clone. Ran like a top in semi or full with registered sear. Didn't have to change any parts and is very accurate.

Parabellum combat systems and Dakota tactical are also good.

As far as a k build. Best bang for buck is without a doubt DJ Getz. Highest quality I've seen is Dakota Tactical, also the most expensive and a long wait.

Mke and pof are also good. Several people I know with sears swear by pof for a good sear host. Same with mke, only bad thing is if you want a mke with 3 lug or threaded barrel you will be buying a barrel and having it inatalled as they entered the country try with a barrel flush to the fsp. This is why I highly suggest the DJ Getz route, already have a 3 lug threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MKE, POF? etc

I know Plan is to buy. Apply for a AOW stamp, get it back and buy the foregrip.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We have had very good feedback and success with our Atlantic Arms K pistols , No matter what K you get they are all great fun to shoot especially with a full auto sear pack ! Check out the video on the 100 round mag dump in one of our guns .

http://youtu.be/n5lODc-RIfo
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/easyblog_shared/89anim.gif
View Quote
You guys appear to be sold out according to the website.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130830040606/breakingbad/images/c/c1/MP5K-SEF.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130830040606/breakingbad/images/c/c1/MP5K-SEF.jpg

SBR it then.

AOW or SBR , it's going to cost you $200 to do it on a Form 1. At least if you SBR it you have an additional configuration option for free.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
POF doesn't have a K clone that I'm aware of.  They make the reverse stretch configuration which is basically a K front end on a full size receiver.  Regardless, I'd stay away from the POF offerings.

View Quote

Why would you stay away from POF?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]
As one of the guys above posted its going to cost the same to SBR it as to AOW it and the SBR route gives you more options.

Unless you have shot an MP5 semi auto pistol in the stockless configuration I would do so before deciding. Its kind of useless without a stock foregrip or not, if you spend all that time and money to AOW it and in the end don't like it that would suck. YMMV

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He said regardless of type he would stay away from POF. Not just because they don't make a true K, he was bashing POF as a whole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bashing?  Kind of strong language for describing the act of giving an opinion.   I'd spend a bit more and get something other than a POF, especially if the OP would take a reverse stretch and considered the POF 5PK.  It appears that the POF 5PK variants have had a lot more problems than the full size POF 5 variants.

The question, I believe, was what is the best MP5K clone out there?  I stand by my statement to avoid the POF offerings.  Why?  Because they are FAR from the best out there.  If you ask what is the best bang for the buck and you're willing to roll the dice...MAYBE the POF guns are worth considering.  But that wasn't the question, was it?  Besides that, POF doesn't offer an actual K clone that I'm aware of, so they're off the list from the start anyway.

That said....TW200, you want to bet that I haven't shot one?  What do you want to bet?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bashing?  Kind of strong language for describing the act of giving an opinion.   I'd spend a bit more and get something other than a POF, especially if the OP would take a reverse stretch and considered the POF 5PK.  It appears that the POF 5PK variants have had a lot more problems than the full size POF 5 variants.

The question, I believe, was what is the best MP5K clone out there?  I stand by my statement to avoid the POF offerings.  Why?  Because they are FAR from the best out there.  If you ask what is the best bang for the buck and you're willing to roll the dice...MAYBE the POF guns are worth considering.  But that wasn't the question, was it?  Besides that, POF doesn't offer an actual K clone that I'm aware of, so they're off the list from the start anyway.

That said....TW200, you want to bet that I haven't shot one?  What do you want to bet?  
View Quote

Saying to stay away from an entire product line is bashing it. I don't think that is strong at all. An opinion bashing a line is still bashing it.

And again, you said regardless of the style, so getting back into the "it's not exactly what he want's" argument is irrelevant to what I was saying.

Also if someone asks for the best they can get, then throws out two relatively low end cheaper products, do you really think the gun 3x the price is really what that person is asking for?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Saying to stay away from an entire product line is bashing it. I don't think that is strong at all. An opinion bashing a line is still bashing it.

And again, you said regardless of the style, so getting back into the "it's not exactly what he want's" argument is irrelevant to what I was saying.

Also if someone asks for the best they can get, then throws out two relatively low end cheaper products, do you really think the gun 3x the price is really what that person is asking for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind, I'm answering the question posed by the OP.  If you're asking for the best, then to me that means you're looking for a gun that works reliably, but also has top notch fit and finish.  To some people, 'the best' might even include being most accurate in terms of features and specs when compared to the real thing.  I think the POF guns generally are reliable, but the fit and finish is definitely lacking compared to other more expensive options.  The paint, to be blunt, sucks.  Many will have crooked cocking tubes, and that is even called out as something that isn't covered under the warranty.  In my firsthand experience, you may even get one on which the receiver is twisted, bent, etc.  Mine used all of the windage adjustment to zero FWIW.  

I'm not condemning the POF guns, but in the context of this thread, I'm saying that if the buyer is looking for the best, they will likely be disappointed with the POF guns.  That is why I said I'd stay away from them.  If you just want a cheap blaster and care not about fit and finish,  nice paintjobs, crooked cocking tubes, canted sights, etc...then they may be the right choice.  I certainly don't think that's what someone would be looking for when they ask which is the best.

I think the Atlantic and Getz guns are fairly nice for the money, and as was mentioned above they are likely the best bang for the buck.  But they're still not the absolute best...and you can't expect them to be at the price point they sell at in the MP5 clone market.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Look on some other forums. Frames not straight and a few other problems as well. Not bashing, just stating facts. Im sure they have more good then bad.

I have a Turner Fabrications MP5 clone that is just plain awesome!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

SBR it then.

AOW or SBR , it's going to cost you $200 to do it on a Form 1. At least if you SBR it you have an additional configuration option for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

SBR it then.

follow this advice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
follow this advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

SBR it then.

follow this advice.

yeah this... It sucks to use an a AOW in any event even if you know how to do it right, the stock is much better and by SBRing it you can try it both ways if you don't believe me.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

SBR it then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MKE, POF? etc

SBR it then.

This x1000.  I would be willing to buy a AOW w a 5$ stamp, but I absolutely would not AOW a weapon myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah. It could be worth the $195 difference to do a K. Personal preference thing here. I have a Choate stock for mine, but far more frequently I use it in AOW config. If I did not have a fullsize A3, I would never consider the no-stock option though.

I like to ride my 4-wheeler carrying the K in an Eagle thigh rig. It's noticeably heavier with the stock attached. I can fire it almost as accurately without a stock, just maybe a fraction slower between shots. Stock-less deployment is one second faster though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
PM sent!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yeah. It could be worth the $195 difference to do a K. Personal preference thing here. I have a Choate stock for mine, but far more frequently I use it in AOW config. If I did not have a fullsize A3, I would never consider the no-stock option though.

View Quote

I like to ride my 4-wheeler carrying the K in an Eagle thigh rig. It's noticeably heavier with the stock attached. I can fire it almost as accurately without a stock, just maybe a fraction slower between shots. Stock-less deployment is one second faster though.
It's not a $195 difference... making (Form 1) an AOW or SBR both cost $200... transferring (Form 4) an AOW only cost $5 vs an SBR at $200...

On a side note, where did you find the eagle thigh rig?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I was gonna have Ghillebear/Parabellum make me an old-school K but as I started gathering parts the K-N (with threaded barrel) started looking a lot more tempting, and went that route (partly out of the vain hope MN will one day allow suppressors). Not cheap but it's my pride and joy. Ghilliebear also did an A3 for me as well...both are now SBRed....very happy with the results.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's not a $195 difference... making (Form 1) an AOW or SBR both cost $200... transferring (Form 4) an AOW only cost $5 vs an SBR at $200...  

View Quote

On a side note, where did you find the eagle thigh rig?
I know about the forms. This is when it helps to have a Class II friend. He "makes" it tax-exempt, and you pay the $5 transfer...

I found the Eagle thigh rig on an airsoft forum, if you can believe that. I think they had put in a 200 quantity order, which was the minimum for Eagle to produce a run in OD green, and there were a couple left over. I think I paid $65. This was a few years ago.

I have a black Eagle shoulder rig as well, but unless I'm trying to concealed carry the thing, I much prefer the thigh rig. The shoulder setup flops more if you run or otherwise move quickly in it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#33]
+ 1 for DJ Getz
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got an Atlantic Arms AA89K that's waiting on an efile form 1 right now.  I'm very happy with the build quality.  For comparison sake I used to own a Volmer SP89 conversion with a Fleming sear.  Only real differences to the Volmer (if memory serves) is the welding cleanup on the real HK was nicer.  The paddle mag release on the AA I feel is smoother than I remember on the Volmer.  The AA has a 3-lug barrel as well.

I'd buy another and probably will.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Really like the info here as I've been wanting an MP5 clone again for an SBR for some time....

That having been said, I owned a DJ Getz Reverse stretch that was FLAT OUT unreliable...multiple mags, ammo, etc....every magazine had one if not more failures...sample size of one but it put a bad taste in my mouth...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#36]
What did he say when you contacted him?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#37]
For me, it was simpler than that...it was a FTF transaction on the EE here and the guy told me that I had 24 hours if I wanted to trade back. He swore it was reliable and I was concerned about reliability since I know how these clones can be...I was able to contact the seller within the window stated and showed the pictures I had taken of all of the malfunctions....good guy too, he wasn't trying to 'get one over on me' he was surprised I did have issues since he said he had not...

In my situation, that was easier than keeping it with all the malfunctions it had. Sample size of one but that didn't make me want to buy another DJG conversion...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Copy, I've had coharie, special weapons and black market parts. All Todd Bailey guns pretty much. Every single one of them had to go back for service and I still ended up swapping parts.

DJ Getz was the first mp5 clone I got out of the box that gave no problems and I've tried Korean, US, German, Turkish and several other magazines whose origin I don't know.  I recommended them to several friends and in semi or full with a registered sear pack I've never seen one have issues with 115, 124 or 147 gr in round, flat or hollow point ammo. Having spent years messing with Todd Bailey problems it was both refreshing and exciting to get a clone that just flat out worked. I currently have one SBR'd as do several friends who bought them at my suggestion. Great performers in pistol, sbr or mg configuration.

I have read online of problems with several DJ Getz guns that were promptly corrected at the manufacturers expense. Hence my question.

With the experiences I have had in the clone market I'm quite fond of the DJ Getz offering. There are several others mentioned previously in this thread that do very well also, I just don't have any personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Ya, I wasn't interested in trying to find a fix from the manufacturer, given my set of circumstances...

I used factory HK mags and an ATI mag. All had issue with the HK being slightly less troublesome, as you'd expect.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Any chance for a reverse stretch AA89k?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Look on some other forums. Frames not straight and a few other problems as well. Not bashing, just stating facts. Im sure they have more good then bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sbred my POF, 2k rounds and its great. From what ive read and seen, the fit and finish on the first wave of imports was rougher, subsequent batches (mine was 2nd wave and flawless), were approved after AA brought up some of the concerns to POF, and that POF has been VERY responsive. They want into the US market and they dont want to get a bad rep. They do have a license from HK to make MP5, G3's etc
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Saigaman Texas , yes we are sold out of the K  but have more being built and expect them in approx 2 weeks. The demand of the MP5 Style pistols has dramatically increased in the last 6 months so supply on the market is very tight . We also offer the Getz line and expect to see a small shipment of those in approx 1 -2 weeks . Below is a brief video showing the Atlantic Arms AA89K in action etc
http://youtu.be/DiIc6TltPes
View Quote

Yea demand is UP on the pistols because of the SigTac stock.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Wrong button. Edit
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
WillysJeep , YES we have just currently finished building a small number of the Atlantic Arms MFG Reverse Stretch K pistols and should have pictures etc listed this week.
View Quote

Thanks. Hopefully some reviews will be posted while I'm still researching my best option.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#48]
My MKE with a form1, paint, and barrel job...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top