Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 9:46:29 AM EDT
Has anyone here fired any Turkish ZQI 9mm ammo out of there MP5 style firearms? I bought a box of it at Walmart and fired one round out of my POF 5 with disturbing results. The empty case expaned into the chamber flutes and the base bulged a little. I had to use a steel cleaning rod and a hammer to extract the case!
I will try to take a photo of the case a post it.

After I removed the stuck case I inspected the POF and found no damage.I put abox of Winchester white box through it with no malfunctions at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Its supposed to be pretty hot, and apparently pistols was little case support get bulging cases.

Works fine in real guns like Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its supposed to be pretty hot, and apparently pistols was little case support get bulging cases.

View Quote

The HK MP5 should not have a problem with case support, here are the photos, the undamaged case is Winchester White Box. The ZQI is supposed to be NATO spec:

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The HK MP5 should not have a problem with case support, here are the photos, the undamaged case is Winchester White Box. The ZQI is supposed to be NATO spec:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/poorman_photo/101_1293_zps5f67d5c7.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u266/poorman_photo/101_1290_zpsd0f2bede.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was kidding about the "real guns" comment.

There is a thread on mdshooters where someone had case bulging on a 9mm 1911. Other have had no problems. I think it may have been a specific lot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There is a thread on mdshooters where someone had case bulging on a 9mm 1911. Other have had no problems. I think it may have been a specific lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem

I am wondering if this is just a lot specific issue, I have contacted ZQI and reported the problem. I will post the responce here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
ZQI was very quick to respond, here is the email I just received:

Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I’d like to have our quality control section examine the brass from your round that malfunctioned, as well as the remaining unfired rounds from the same box.  I’d also like to send you a new box of our 9mm ammo to replace the one you purchased.

If you don’t mind emailing me your address, I’ll send you this new box along with a pre-paid FedEx envelope that you can use to ship the expended brass and unfired rounds back to us.  

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy Eckert

VP – U.S. Market
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought some 556 the other day, stuff fired fine yesterday in my AR.  I know it's the nine, but I didn't get anything weird like that.  the brass they use does seem different than my federal or pmc.  maybe thinner?  I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I read somewhere else that the 9mm was "hot" and had a huge fireball. I went to buy some at wally world but noticed they had 2 types of ZQI 9mm, one is the plainish white box for $12, the other is a more colorful box (can't remember it well enough to describe) for $23. I bought the cheap but haven't shot yet. Wich kind did OP have?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read somewhere else that the 9mm was "hot" and had a huge fireball. I went to buy some at wally world but noticed they had 2 types of ZQI 9mm, one is the plainish white box for $12, the other is a more colorful box (can't remember it well enough to describe) for $23. I bought the cheap but haven't shot yet. Wich kind did OP have?
View Quote

It is hotter than regular 9mm, it is supposed to be NATO spec which is just shy of +P. But, that should not make it deform like it did.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
White box, or new packaging?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
White box, or new packaging?
View Quote

New packaging, it says right on the box, NATO spec.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at their web site just now, they only list one 9mm. The white box. I wunder why the other box cost $10 more at wally world?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the white box is for their bulk packs, and the other box is for individual sales.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't shot the 9mm. The 5.56 stuff was fine out my ARs. The 7.62 NATO stuff shot 6 MOA groups out of my M1A. Switching to Federal shrunk the groups down to 1.5 MOA.

Some people have good luck with it, but I think it's junk and I won't be buying any more of it. Evar!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has anyone here fired any Turkish ZQI 9mm ammo out of there MP5 style firearms? I bought a box of it at Walmart and fired one round out of my POF 5 with disturbing results. The empty case expaned into the chamber flutes and the base bulged a little. I had to use a steel cleaning rod and a hammer to extract the case!

After I removed the stuck case I inspected the POF and found no damage.I put abox of Winchester white box through it with no malfunctions at all.
View Quote

I had the exact same results with my POF MP5. I tried 3 or 4 rounds and they all failed to extract. I tried the same ammo in my MKE MP5K and it loved it. Nice groupings unsupported at 25yds.

I did notice the boxes of ZQ1 9mm were 123gr. I wonder if the heavier bullets effect the timing?

Ammo was purchased at Wally World ~$13 per box.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Nato 9mm = 124gr ammo... so the "heavier" bullets shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had the exact same results with my POF MP5. I tried 3 or 4 rounds and they all failed to extract. I tried the same ammo in my MKE MP5K and it loved it. Nice groupings unsupported at 25yds.

I did notice the boxes of ZQ1 9mm were 123gr. I wonder if the heavier bullets effect the timing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the chamber dimensions or fluting in the POF is out of spec somehow? I am going to speak to Atlantic Firearms about this and will post the response here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I can report that the replacement box ZQI sent me functioned flawlessly. I also put a box of IMI 115 grn and a box of IMI 124 grn through it with no problems, though some of the IMI brass was chewed up pretty good. It did not like the aluminum cased Federal 9mm at all. Also the IWI 9mm is some dirty stuff, it kept causing FTF issues in my CZ75, after every 30-40 I had to clean all the soot off the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hi Andy,

I’d like to have our quality control section examine the brass from your round that malfunctioned, as well as the remaining unfired rounds from the same box.  I’d also like to send you a new box of our 9mm ammo to replace the one you purchased.

If you don’t mind emailing me your address, I’ll send you this new box along with a pre-paid FedEx envelope that you can use to ship the expended brass and unfired rounds back to us.  

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy Eckert

VP – U.S. Market
View Quote

Truth be told, I had never considered buying ZQI ammo due to my concerns about the quality of their product.

The fact that they're so quick to respond and want to investigate actually makes me feel better despite the problem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can report that the replacement box ZQI sent me functioned flawlessly. I also put a box of IMI 115 grn and a box of IMI 124 grn through it with no problems, though some of the IMI brass was chewed up pretty good. It did not like the aluminum cased Federal 9mm at all. Also the IWI 9mm is some dirty stuff, it kept causing FTF issues in my CZ75, after every 30-40 I had to clean all the soot off the feed ramp.
View Quote

Soooo, apparently some hottly loaded ammo got loose in the wild? I had read somewhere else on this forum about a guy saying he bought the 9mm and it seemed very hot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Truth be told, I had never considered buying ZQI ammo due to my concerns about the quality of their product.

The fact that they're so quick to respond and want to investigate actually makes me feel better despite the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Andy,

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy Eckert

VP – U.S. Market

Lot a good it'll do you though if your gun blows up and injures or kills you. I already bought some of their 5.56, haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Soooo, apparently some hottly loaded ammo got loose in the wild? I had read somewhere else on this forum about a guy saying he bought the 9mm and it seemed very hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if it was the load or the case. As I said, I ran some IWI NATO spec ammo through the POF 5 and it split some of the cases, never failed to extract though. I'll post some pics of those cases later today.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The Nato spec stull will be at +p levels , The MP-5 does not like +p ,like say an Uzi does . WWB is average at best . I shoot a lot of 9mm .
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lot a good it'll do you though if your gun blows up and injures or kills you. I already bought some of their 5.56, haven't shot it yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Andy,

Sincerely,

Andy

Andy Eckert

VP – U.S. Market

I know, and that's why I'm going to wait for some other people to shoot it first.  If they don't explode I might actually buy some.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I just went to wall mart, they are closing out ZQI ammo, I bought 16 boxes of 7.62 for $7.95 per 20rnds and another 14 boxes of 5.56. I hope it's safe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Nato spec stull will be at +p levels , The MP-5 does not like +p ,like say an Uzi does . WWB is average at best . I shoot a lot of 9mm .
View Quote

9mm NATO is not at +P levels, see below from Wiki:

"The 9 mm NATO can be considered as an overpressure variant of the 9×19mm Parabellum that is defined by NATO standards.[21] The service pressure Pmax of the 9 mm NATO is rated at 252 MPa (36,500 psi) where C.I.P. rates the 9 mm Luger PTmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,100 psi). The 315 MPa (45,700 psi) proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm NATO proof test however equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm Luger C.I.P. proof test."

According to Wiki the SAAMI pressure for 9mm +P is 38,500 psi.

The one thing I have noticed is that regular 9mm Luger does not eject very far, sometimes it just poops out of the side of the POF where as 9mm NATO ejects much further. In my CZ75 you can tell that the NATO round is more powerful just by the felt recoil.

The photo below shows from left to right, 115 grn IWI 9mm Luger, 124 grn. IWI 9mm Luger, 124 grn ZQI 9mm NATO

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What the heck do SEALs use in their MP5s?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I was in wally world yesterday and they had th ZQI 9mm in the green ammo cans on close-out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
My Wally World is still only letting people buy three boxes at a time
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd think a hot 147 gr ball
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think that they would use the standard 124 gr NATO round.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
One thing I noticed is that the zq 5.56 and 7.62 is that they are marked and head stamped MKE and the 9mm in the olive green box has no MKE markings anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed is that the zq 5.56 and 7.62 is that they are marked and head stamped MKE and the 9mm in the olive green box has no MKE markings anywhere.
View Quote

The 9mm I have in the new box is marked: 9mm, 14, ZQI on the case bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top