Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:23:06 AM EDT
Have a new PTR A3S/A3R sitting at my FFL waiting for me to get back in town, been wanting one since 2004, been wanting a 91 style rifle since seeing HEAT and using G3s in Delta Force games on the PC...  Are there any must haves to start looking into for the rifle? this model has the welded optic rail and the package came with 6 mags and the slim and wide handguard. I wanted the "factory" bipod for the wide forearm but apparently those are extinct unless I can find a used one by some luck (not paying $400...)  Looking forward to your suggestions :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Paddle mag release is always a fun addition to any HK style.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the extended charging handle, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to turn it into a soft shooting joy to shoot, check out adding:

Parabellum Recoil Buffer (Heavy) - reduces felt recoil pretty significantly.
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-HEAVY-BUFFER-U-S-PCS-181p1957.htm

Ditch the plastic buttpad on the stock and replace it with a wider rubber one that absorbs recoil.
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK21-RUBBER-BUTTPAD-25p1863.htm

Go here and enjoy all the other fun goodies.
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK91-G3-PTR91-c2.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep a few extra extractor springs on hand. They are the Achilles heel of the 91/93/94 platforms. They are inexpensive and good to keep spares. The recoil pad and buffer upgrades are good ones too. Mags are cheap so grab some more.

The gun will launch brass into orbit and will have black powder residue on the cases and may dimple the case necks. Completely normal. Buy more .308/7.62 and enjoy
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you gentlemen! Am considering all the mentioned upgrades, is the extended charging handle from the HK21 or is there a different one? Also I'm assuming steel cased ammo is fine? .308/762x51 is a bit more expensive than I'm used to shooting so it'd be nice to be able to shoot cheap wolf etc

Are there aftermarket triggers or will a trigger job give similar results?

Anyone have/use the "factory" bipod option? love it, hate it? I hope to find one someday :( I realize there are better bipod options but to have one mounted low profile like the original would be pretty sweet

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So this paddle mag release makes it like an AK type mag release?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this paddle mag release makes it like an AK type mag release?
View Quote

It adds the AK style paddle while still keeping the button, which is the standard mag release system HK uses on its swing-down lowers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a good, plain ol' nylon 2pt sling for the PTR91?  I looked on HKpro and they all say 3pt?  I was looking for a more cost effective, basic sling.  I really don't dig the leather slings lol.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you gentlemen! Am considering all the mentioned upgrades, is the extended charging handle from the HK21 or is there a different one? Also I'm assuming steel cased ammo is fine? .308/762x51 is a bit more expensive than I'm used to shooting so it'd be nice to be able to shoot cheap wolf etc

Are there aftermarket triggers or will a trigger job give similar results?

Anyone have/use the "factory" bipod option? love it, hate it? I hope to find one someday :( I realize there are better bipod options but to have one mounted low profile like the original would be pretty sweet

View Quote

Mine eats the cheap stuff and begs for more. Never an issue.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the difference between the stock bolt handle and the 21 handle
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o275/idpassr/3647DD3C-C2DE-4B10-9D21-B835C5BE69A4_zpsta8xsnso.jpg
View Quote

Yup. Note that I'm a lefty, so reaching across and unlocking the standard CH sucked.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yup. Note that I'm a lefty, so reaching across and unlocking the standard CH sucked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o275/idpassr/3647DD3C-C2DE-4B10-9D21-B835C5BE69A4_zpsta8xsnso.jpg

I ordered mine from HKParts dot net.  Super easy to replace, once I figured out there was a spring in there.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#14]
While a steel lower may not affect function, it will improve the looks.  I my case it also improved the feel, I prefer the larger grip of the steel lower over that of the Navy lower.

Here are a couple photos of my PTR Classic with a clipped and pinned SEF lower with a grip made by a member of another forum.  You can get plastic grips to match the furniture of your rifle.

First, an overall shot.

A close up of the hand grip area.

I plan to rework the stock and hand guard to more closely match the hand grip.  I also plan to add the paddle mag release.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Paddle mag release is always a fun addition to any HK style.
View Quote
This..

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I prefer the extended charging handle, YMMV.
View Quote
And that.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Are the HK21 and HK91 cocking handles compatible with each other? the park that attaches to the rifle looks different
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are the HK21 and HK91 cocking handles compatible with each other? the park that attaches to the rifle looks different
View Quote

Buy the one I linked. It's made for an HK91 style rifle.

If you're uncomfortable, call HKparts, and they'll tell you which one to buy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
A sling is always my first purchase for a rifle. RTG has what you need. Blue Force is also nice but a little pricier.

Then, get a competent gunsmith to install the proper paddel magazine release.  You're really crippled on magazine catches with one on the HK91 platform in my experience.

RTG is GTG and has great prices.
Keepshooting.com has the best deal on 100 packs of magazines at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a similar model, the PTR91SC with the welded rail.  (16" with G3k forend)

I ended up adding A PCS Brake, and Springfield modified buffer, which really tamed movement under recoil.  Money well spent.

I used a Larue LT-101 (.625") riser and Warne low rings to run a scope for a while.  Perfect fit over the rear site.  Couldn't have been any lower.

Changed that setup to use just the Warne lows with the rear site removed. And plan to change those rings to a Badger set pretty soon, and Loctite it all down.

The cheekweld sucked on the factory stock so I changed to the Magpul PRS2 which is much better.

A springfield trigger job was a huge improvement, and an RTG steel lower put the grip in the right spot to get good finger placement on the trigger.

Got a wide forend from RTG.  Pakastani, not HK.....but much cheaper.  I am also in  the market for a surplus bipod.  I've read of the mounting channel on the POF forend being wider than the HK, so be aware of that.Not SURE that's true but worth mentioning.

If you scope it, look at scopes under 12 inches OAL, You'll need it to fit between the charging handle and your eye.

Tried the PSG1 style grip, but didnt care for it.  I felt the bottom chunker thing held my hand in position too well, limiting variation in my arm placement in different shooting positions. Went back to the standard grip.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top