Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 10:20:51 PM EDT
I having trouble sighting in my POF mp5. Its POI is 8" to the left at 25 yards. Its my understanding of the manual to adjust the sight clock wise to adjust but i'm bottomed out on the adjustment. Is this right. When I turn it
counter clock wise it gets worse. I would hate to send it back seeing that I already have eform 1 pending but I hate the thought of it not shooting straight from irons. Got aimpoint coming but that doesn't fix the problem...
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I having trouble sighting in my POF mp5. Its POI is 8" to the left at 25 yards. Its my understanding of the manual to adjust the sight clock wise to adjust but i'm bottomed out on the adjustment. Is this right. When I turn it
counter clock wise it gets worse. I would hate to send it back seeing that I already have eform 1 pending but I hate the thought of it not shooting straight from irons. Got aimpoint coming but that doesn't fix the problem...
View Quote

How are your groups? Have you checked the barrel to be free of burs? Anyone else shot the pistol? Do the sights look in line with each other? Are you scared of the bang bang? (JK)  I cannot comment on how to adjust the sights as I have not performed that task. If you think there may be a problem I would contact whomever you purchased it from.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Check to make sure the sights are straight. Several people on HKpro have reported canted sights on their POF MP5 clones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check to make sure the sights are straight. Several people on HKpro have reported canted sights on their POF MP5 clones.
View Quote

+1 canted sights.  You would probably know for sure if your Aimpoint won't require as much windage adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to make sure, when you use the HK tool and turn the sight barrel that is elevation adjustment. The screw on the ejection port side of the rear sight is windage adjustment. You should move the rear sight to the gun's right (ejection port side) to pull point of aim to the right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok. Got to shoot  it and checked the sight using some fishing string. It is canted to the left ,is there a fix for this or would I have to send it back to the dealer. I would hate this seeing that I'm 2.5 weeks into my e form 1 and hearing people getting their stamps back in a little over a month.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How are your groups? Have you checked the barrel to be free of burs? Anyone else shot the pistol? Do the sights look in line with each other? Are you scared of the bang bang? (JK)  I cannot comment on how to adjust the sights as I have not performed that task. If you think there may be a problem I would contact whomever you purchased it from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Huh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

Huh? from me too.  Crown?  My own POF-5 came with a plastic cover on the end of the barrel, and others have commented about this as a "thread protector", so they probably pack them this way and protect the crown.  

To the OP:  Sighting it in as a pistol is probably easier if you shoot with the handguard on a sandbag or some other support.  From the sling wouldn't be easy...  

Do you have experience with HK rear sights?  If not, get a manual that has more detail than the POF one, like the HK MP-5 manual that is available out there on the internet.  I know HK makes a sight manual, but it is pretty easy once you get the concept.  There are some good pics here on mg-42.  The data relates to a G3, but the sights work the same.

Your Aimpoint can fix the problem if you don't care about using the iron sights.  I don't use irons anymore and just zero them, then use an Aimpoint or EOTech.  If the optic goes down, I know my sights are zeroed.  If you know that your point of impact is consistently different than your POA (by something that is repeatable), you can just make a mental note of the offset and aim to compensate if you need to go back to irons.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea I have had thoughts of the barrel. It doesn't look like much of a crown and it looks like it might be a weak point but I've checked my tagets and there is no type of key holeing at all. I figured if it was a bur or oblong barrel I would think I would see it as a key hole issue. Grouped good just off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yea I have had thoughts of the barrel. It doesn't look like much of a crown and it looks like it might be a weak point but I've checked my tagets and there is no type of key holeing at all. I figured if it was a bur or oblong barrel I would think I would see it as a key hole issue. Grouped good just off.
View Quote

It doesnt always have to keyhole. My remington 700 had a messed up crown and at 300m it showed no key holes. It did however open the group up a whole lot. Easy way to check is to swab the crown with a dry Q-Tip.

I will also add that I received my POF-5 tonight and noticed the front sight is slightly off. I will not know how bad until I shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The trunion can be off, which cants the front sight. Look inside the receiver from the rear with the carrier out, and see if the shoulders of the trunion are symmetrical.
This pic shows the trunion of a MP5 Clone which was shooting several inches off at 36 yards which the sight adjustment could not compensate for. I sent it back for repair, and it was all good when I got it back.
Repair requires undoing all the welds, turning the trunion to the correct position and then re-welding back, and touch up refinish.

Oh, and one other thing, I suppose: if it's off 8 inches and an optical sight doesn't help, it could be the barrel isn't lined up with the receiver. Or the barrel is bent.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up my POF 5, front sight is arrow straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top