Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2014 4:02:03 AM EDT
For a few years now I've run only factory HK mags in my MP5 clone. Of course, the prices have gotten simply ridiculous lately. Why a 15-round mag would fetch close to $100 is beyond me, but I digress. I want to pick up a small cache of spare 30rd. mags before the next election, and now seems to be a good time to get this knocked out. My MP5 is SBR'd, so I want mags that will last and be serviceable for a long time.

I have a single ATI mag from a year or two ago, I think it's South Korean. It has a rougher finish than factory mags, but it runs fine, at least in the few times I've actually used it. How do the POF mags stack up against the ATIs? Of course, the ATIs are much cheaper; about half the cost.  

Eh? Eh?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you pretty much answered your own question: ATI mags work and they are roughly half the cost.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the POF Mags. They run just as good as factory HK mags. RTG parts sells them for $29.99 with a 10% discount if you buy more than 8 mags.
I have heard lots of bad reviews on the ATI mags.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My POF mags work, they ATI mags didn't. The ATI mags were made of pot metal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a standing offer to anyone who hates their KCI mags. I'll pay shipping and $20 buck for your time. Box em up and send em to me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My POF mags work, they ATI mags didn't. The ATI mags were made of pot metal.
View Quote
Very interesting. The one example I have is definitely not pot metal, but it is roughly parkerized. Sadly, I don't have a ton of faith in ATI overall, so it is entirely possible that they switched the suppliers and I might not be getting what I think I'm getting.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been lucky to get my hands on original HK mags for my MP5 clone. Head over to HKPro and check the prices there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have been lucky to get my hands on original HK mags for my MP5 clone. Head over to HKPro and check the prices there.
View Quote
I already have 10-12 factory mags; I'm looking for something cheaper that I can lay away for a rainy day (or darker times). I'm not interested in investing another $600 in mags, more like $100-$200.

Even buying used factory mags from folks on HKPro, they're twice what the POF mags are running, and close to 4x the ATI price point. It becomes a question of best value. If the ATI mags have gone downhill from the one that I have, then it's not worth my time. The POF mags may be the answer, but so far I've only really read reports on these mags from POF pistol owners.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
KCI mags have gotten BETTER, not worse.

The POF are very nice too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I am sure there will be more mags coming to market soon, with both POF and MKE bringing them into the country the price has to come down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
ATI mags work flawlessly in my POF. Almost 1000 rounds in the month since I bought it, and not a single malfunction. I initially bought two to try and then bought 8 more after my first range trip.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I was able to run the ATI mag today 5 times, fully loaded, through my suppressed BW5. The mag functioned 100%, but loading the mag to capacity was rough. Disassembling the mag for cleaning, the floor plate slipped down the side of the mag body, tweaking the cheap, thin spring. This has never happened with any of my German mags. Huge difference in the quality of the mag springs!

No bueno. I think I may just buy the older factory straight stick mags at $45 each. All of my shooting with this gun over the years has been with FMJs anyways. I always have the curved German mags when necessary.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy an MP5 LULA and thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy an MP5 LULA and thank me later.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was able to run the ATI mag today 5 times, fully loaded, through my suppressed BW5. The mag functioned 100%, but loading the mag to capacity was rough. Disassembling the mag for cleaning, the floor plate slipped down the side of the mag body, tweaking the cheap, thin spring. This has never happened with any of my German mags. Huge difference in the quality of the mag springs!

No bueno. I think I may just buy the older factory straight stick mags at $45 each. All of my shooting with this gun over the years has been with FMJs anyways. I always have the curved German mags when necessary.
View Quote

Wolff MP5 springs
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wolff MP5 springs
Cool! Then again, at that point I'm $25/each into Korean mags, which is within "spittin' distance" of the POF mags.

Do the POF mags have springs like the German mags, or are they Mickey Mouse too?

These incremental nudges are hilarious...and they might just explain the price point of the Kraut sticks...
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool! Then again, at that point I'm $25/each into Korean mags, which is within "spittin' distance" of the POF mags.  

Do the POF mags have springs like the German mags, or are they Mickey Mouse too?

These incremental nudges are hilarious...and they might just explain the price point of the Kraut sticks...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolff MP5 springs

The POF mags (and MKE for that matter) have springs that are similar to factory HK.  The POF mags at RTG are a steal right now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
The ATI mags have a thick phosphate coating on them that might introduce difficulties on the first few uses. After some wear they become easier to use. This only affects inserting the magazine, and not feeding function.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top