Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 3:25:29 PM EDT
About to buy a 89 full size pistol and noticed that the invoice said "89 pistol kit less firing pin"
Not complaining, what's $20 after spending $2K on a gun, just curious...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That's odd. Maybe he just means the firing pin is not original to the kit?

ETA: You piqued my curiosity so I researched it, turns out it's essentially a workaround to avoid the firearms excise tax. Discussion about it on hkpro: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/192440-why-no-firing-pins.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct.

I was a little confused by this when I got my first DJG clone as well. Seems silly but makes sense when you figure it out.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, you get the pin in the mail...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
It's on the way, I went ordered some extra parts fom HKparts.net including the firing pin....can't wait to get it.  He never mentioned sending one in the mail when I emailed him.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
So basically its tax evasion by Getz, wow what a great business model. I'm sure the other manufacturers love that little trick.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So basically its tax evasion by Getz, wow what a great business model. I'm sure the other manufacturers loves that little trick.
View Quote

Go buy your AR lower & upper. Pin them together & you have done the same thing Mr Holier than thou!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Go buy your AR lower & upper. Pin them together & you have done the same thing Mr Holier than thou!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So basically its tax evasion by Getz, wow what a great business model. I'm sure the other manufacturers loves that little trick.

Far from the same thing. Now if you can show me a major manufacturer of AR's that sells their complete gun without a FP well then you're right and I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If he's selling the gun at a lower price because he has read the law properly and complies in a fashion that doesn't require payment of the excise tax, then where is the problem?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
For those really interested, the 11% tax also applies to sights.

If a $3000 scope sits on a rifle with no other sights, then the value of the scope is taxed as well.  If there are other sights, like irons, then the scope is not taxed.

I think it is smart to minimize taxation.  I give credit to a company that does so.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So basically its tax evasion by Getz, wow what a great business model. I'm sure the other manufacturers love that little trick.
View Quote

It's tax avoidance. And good for him, it's a bullshit tax anyways.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Simple, if you feel so terrible feel free to send the IRS the $330 in tax you would have otherwise paid.  Though I am surprised that it flies with the IRS or whoever collects that tax.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
For those interested in a good faq...

.gov link...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top