Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 7:17:05 AM EDT
I want to mount a SWFA super sniper scope to my PTR-91.  Right now there is a 1-4x optic on there, but the super sniper is too long and the objective too large that it doesn't clear the charging handle!

So I need to buy a claw mount, which sits much higher.  The UTG is about $65 http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-leapers-h-k-claw-mount-mnt-hk01.html?sort=newest&page=1  What kind of rings can you mount to that though?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend an extra $60 and get a real German claw mount from Sarco. You will need a rail section that screws onto the mount, but they are $15-20.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Move up to the 21st century.  1913 Rail
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother had one of those UTG claw mounts and it was VERY solid. It was a bear to pull off the gun, actually. Worked well.

How are you mounting the current optic? Can you not just get taller rings?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I already have a 1913 rail on it.  I guess I could get taller rings, but the Eye relief would still be not as good as I want.  Plus the claw mount is a bit more authentic looking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I already have a 1913 rail on it.  I guess I could get taller rings, but the Eye relief would still be not as good as I want.  Plus the claw mount is a bit more authentic looking.
View Quote

If it already has a rail welded on, the claw mount likely won't fit.  I don't know about the UTG , but the Rheinmetal/Hensoldt and HK versions  fit pretty tight to the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend an extra $60 and get a real German claw mount from Sarco. You will need a rail section that screws onto the mount, but they are $15-20.
View Quote

I'm looking at the Sarco website and all I see is the UTG claw mount.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, wrong company.. Try this one.

But the other guy is right, if you already have a welded rail on top of the receiver, a claw mount won't work. Your best bet is to choose a solid mount and rings. You have to be careful of scope length on these rifles because a long scope will interfere with the charging handle.

Is your receiver like this? If so, just buy good rings and scope, no need for the claw mount.

Or this? This receiver can use the claw mount.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top