Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 12:13:23 AM EDT
I have a Vector V53 SBR and have been really happy with it. I'm playing around with getting a 93 clone to complement it. Taking money into account what is the best buy? The Century gun can be had for almost half of what the vector sells for, but it's a Century.

It's my understanding that the Vector guns have the original HK barrels, which is a big plus.

Or should I just wait and see what the new MKE guns look like?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally feel it is dumb to spend twice as much on a non Century. Century  guns are made from original parts and I have had good luck with them but even if you did have a gun with a problem (from any company) it can be fixed and always for less than a new gun. If you care about resale value then the  Vector will be more because you paid more, other than price they are the same gun~paddle mag.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I finally got a chance to shoot my c 93 today. Very accurate. I ordered the site adjustment tool which helped to zero quickly.

It was all fun until I rapid fired the rifle and the hk mag fell out. Falls out if I shoot it fast. Pretty lame. She has to go back for repair now.

Thinking the vector would have been the better choice IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you have to ask yourself what you will use the gun for.  If it is just a range toy then I would go C93 all day long.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Century guns are temping becaus of the price. I don't like the grey color though. I wonder how much it would cost to have the gun Cerakoted over the factory park?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
JG Sales has C93's on sale for $500
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Either one is a gamble with that said I vote Century. I took a gamble on Vector and after a trip back to Vector for a defect that couldn't be missed by a blind drunken monkey the replacement rifle they sent was shit as well. I wouldn't buy another Vector even if they where the last gun manufacturer in business. They wouldn't even honor thier own return policy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally feel it is dumb to spend twice as much on a non Century. Century  guns are made from original parts and I have had good luck with them but even if you did have a gun with a problem (from any company) it can be fixed and always for less than a new gun. If you care about resale value then the  Vector will be more because you paid more, other than price they are the same gun~paddle mag.
View Quote

In my personal experience...not even close to the "same gun".
I have a C93, AND a V93.
The Vector is head and shoulders above the Century rifle in fit and finish...and in build quality.
It also has a paddle magazine release, and a proper lower. (My century has some shitty lower with a really thin grip).
The welds on my Century look like crap compared to the welds on my Vector as well.

To top it off, MY particular C93 has a receiver that is welded together crooked (which I didn't notice when I bought it, because I was too focused on checking the bolt gap, and making sure the rear sight was welded on straight).  It can't even be fired, because the bolt carrier rubs the magazine feed lips.
I intend to cut it up for parts to use with a better receiver, when I get the time.

Of course, your mileage may vary...And there certainly are C93s  that are perfectly good rifles.  But, they are not in the same class as the Vector guns.
Comparing the two is like comparing an SAR1 with an ARSENAL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.
The Vector is head and shoulders above the Century rifle in fit and finish...and in build quality.
It also has a paddle magazine release, and a proper lower. (My century has some shitty lower with a really thin grip).
The welds on my Century look like crap compared to the welds on my Vector as well.

To top it off, MY particular C93 has a receiver that is welded together crooked (which I didn't notice when I bought it, because I was too focused on checking the bolt gap, and making sure the rear sight was welded on straight).  It can't even be fired, because the bolt carrier rubs the magazine feed lips.
I intend to cut it up for parts to use with a better receiver, when I get the time.

Of course, your mileage may vary...And there certainly are C93s  that are perfectly good rifles.  But, they are not in the same class as the Vector guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.

If it was so bad that it never worked... why didn't you contact century and send it back? I can't ever imagine buying a new gun, having it fail to function at all, and just keeping it without complaint.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it was so bad that it never worked... why didn't you contact century and send it back? I can't ever imagine buying a new gun, having it fail to function at all, and just keeping it without complaint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.

Didn't feel like rolling the dice with Century...and I have been wanting to do a home build for a while anyway, so it is now my parts kit.
All of the parts besides the receiver are nice.  Who knows what it would get replaced with.
And...I bought it at a gun show,  before the Sandy Hook price craziness.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
My V93 worked right out of the box, 500 rounds later still good to go. you will also get that CHF HK Barrel.

HDH.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Didn't feel like rolling the dice with Century...and I have been wanting to do a home build for a while anyway, so it is now my parts kit.
All of the parts besides the receiver are nice.  Who knows what it would get replaced with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.

My C93 pistol turned HK53 could not be made any better.  The fit ,finish and welds are all beautiful, same with my Fal. People like you complaining on the internet about a gun from century are the reason for their ''a bad one slips by sometimes'' reputation.  Most of the guys complaining about their century gun and comparing them to their other guns  do not own either and are repeating what they read somewhere to look informed on a website.  I am sure Century has sold a lot of lemons but they also likely sell 1000 times more of the guns they make than their competition.
Plus no one wants to say I paid 2x as much for a Vector or custom build and it is a lemon anyway, I could have had 2 perfectly fine Century guns but I am an idiot chasing name brands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My C93 pistol turned HK53 could not be made any better.  The fit ,finish and welds are all beautiful, same with my Fal. People like you complaining on the internet about a gun from century are the reason for their ''a bad one slips by sometimes'' reputation.  Most of the guys complaining about their century gun and comparing them to their other guns  do not own either and are repeating what they read somewhere to look informed on a website.  I am sure Century has sold a lot of lemons but they also likely sell 1000 times more of the guns they make than their competition.
Plus no one wants to say I paid 2x as much for a Vector or custom build and it is a lemon anyway, I could have had 2 perfectly fine Century guns but I am an idiot chasing name brands.
View Quote

While I AM pretty satisfied with my Century FAL and my C93, both also have "issues".

The FAL functions well, but it's gas system cannot be adjusted. By that, I mean I went though the adjustment process and it appears that the gas system doesn't adjust. I cannot set it low enough to keep it from cycling and no adjustment seems to make any difference in felt recoil. If they were going to bugger it up, this is the way I'd prefer, but it would be nice to have it work properly.

My C93 has a tight bolt gap. It works flawlessly, but I should get some +8 rollers to correct the gap, assuming it doesn't creep from there. My brother's had the same issue.

I'm not outright condemning Century, but I am saying that I doubt a Vector would have gotten out of the factory with a tight gap and, if one did, it would be an exception. At Century, it trends more toward rule. A DSA FAL's gas system would almost certainly work correctly.

The SAR-1 I used to own was flawless, so far as I could tell, but I didn't own it for long. It is pretty hard to screw up an AK, though, and I don't think it had a canted sight or gas block.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While I AM pretty satisfied with my Century FAL and my C93, both also have "issues".

The FAL functions well, but it's gas system cannot be adjusted. By that, I mean I went though the adjustment process and it appears that the gas system doesn't adjust. I cannot set it low enough to keep it from cycling and no adjustment seems to make any difference in felt recoil. If they were going to bugger it up, this is the way I'd prefer, but it would be nice to have it work properly.

My C93 has a tight bolt gap. It works flawlessly, but I should get some +8 rollers to correct the gap, assuming it doesn't creep from there. My brother's had the same issue.

I'm not outright condemning Century, but I am saying that I doubt a Vector would have gotten out of the factory with a tight gap and, if one did, it would be an exception. At Century, it trends more toward rule. A DSA FAL's gas system would almost certainly work correctly.

The SAR-1 I used to own was flawless, so far as I could tell, but I didn't own it for long. It is pretty hard to screw up an AK, though, and I don't think it had a canted sight or gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just am tired of hearing people put down Century arms.  I personally have had fine rifles from Century and if it was not for them I would most likely have never owned a Fal or HK53 because the original factory guns are more than I would have cared to spend.  They can get original rifle kits put together in beautiful working condition ''usually'' for less money than purchasing a parts kit alone in many cases.  I and many people have Uzi's, Fals , Ak's, and Hk's that they would not have if Century did not exist.  They actually do a lot for the shooting community and gun owner in that respect.
I forgot that I also have a WASR AK and it is also put together and always worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess I just am tired of hearing people put down Century arms.  I personally have had fine rifles from Century and if it was not for them I would most likely have never owned a Fal or HK53 because the original factory guns are more than I would have cared to spend.  They can get original rifle kits put together in beautiful working condition ''usually'' for less money than purchasing a parts kit alone in many cases.  I and many people have Uzi's, Fals , Ak's, and Hk's that they would not have if Century did not exist.  They actually do a lot for the shooting community and gun owner in that respect.
I forgot that I also have a WASR AK and it is also put together and always worked perfectly.
View Quote

I know what you mean. Century, for the most part, isn't nearly as bad as they're made out to be here.

With a little more attention to detail, they could be truly great. I just wish they'd take that last step, you know?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I can only speak to my own experiences with Century products, I have not bought anything from them since the 1990's. Back then everything I bought from them was garbage, since then I have not nor will ever buy from them again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad to see all these different opinions because I am right in the middle of this same decision. I'm going to pick up a shooter type 93 rifle and trying to decide between a C93, V93, or an MKE rifle.

Anyone here have an opinion on the MKE rifles? I don't have an first hand experience.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Century guns are temping becaus of the price. I don't like the grey color though. I wonder how much it would cost to have the gun Cerakoted over the factory park?
View Quote

I've got a C93 that has been great also.  It is funny that you can't please everyone with the grey.  The park on my C93 looks great but I did paint it over black.  When I had my Sig 556.  I always wanted the Sig grey.  Go figure.  I have a bunch of 53's and 33's at work.  My Century is as accurate as any of them and runs great.  

My WASR 10 was crooked as can be but ran great.  My SLR106 can't get through a 30 round mag with brass cased 5.56 ammo.   David
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
My C93 has about 300 rounds through it now and hasn't missed a beat. The gun looks nice also.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
My C93's have been great. Very accurate and reliable as well. Especially the one i paid $450 for.

Could the build quality be better? Sure. I like what i have and, they work as well as i would expect a clone of an HK to work.

The Vectors have more standard features that make up for the difference in price though.  Especially the paddle magazine latch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Like you I own a V53 SBR and it runs well although I went through 2 other pistol versions before settling on this one. The receivers warped when the trunnions were welded which resulted in barrels that were far from straight. On the plus side my Vector guns were built on MKE receivers and even with round rails I feel they're more "correct" than those from SW.

A friend bought a used Vector at a gun show and it has been flawless but it is an older gun. Same with a buddy that owns a Century - he loves it and regularly beats the snot out of it with a postie FA pack.

If you're in the upstate Gordon Miller lists a demo MKE in stock, it might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a C93, AND a V93.

Agreed. Vector guns are vastly better than Century guns.

For HK clones, Century is damn near the bottom of the quality list.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#22]
My C93 was put together right and strait.  I think its on a SW receiver.  It shoots reliably (even with Tula) and is as accurate as open sights and my eyes can do.

Only problem was finish from the factory was flat  parked (or flat black paint) and the splatter paint on the furniture.

I sanded off the splatter paint and use Rustoleum texture paint on the furniture, added and SUO  lower and refinished in HK semi-gloss - looks as good as HK new.  
Works well with HK mags or Promags (which are reasonably priced mags).  If a mag falls out during firing, IMHO its not locked in, might need new spring on the catch or file mag

I'm glad I found one - back in the late 90's someone would have paid $2K and a left nut for an HK93, to have a clone for $500 is something I appreciate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Bought my V93 in 2010. Ran fine out of the box. I changed rollers to get it right to "HK optimal spec" If I remember correctly my bolt-gap was on the small side. Back then I didn't know what it all meant really... Aside from that haven't done anything to it and she shoots great! Fit and finish are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Like you I own a V53 SBR and it runs well although I went through 2 other pistol versions before settling on this one. The receivers warped when the trunnions were welded which resulted in barrels that were far from straight. On the plus side my Vector guns were built on MKE receivers and even with round rails I feel they're more "correct" than those from SW.

A friend bought a used Vector at a gun show and it has been flawless but it is an older gun. Same with a buddy that owns a Century - he loves it and regularly beats the snot out of it with a postie FA pack.

If you're in the upstate Gordon Miller lists a demo MKE in stock, it might be worth a look.
View Quote

I do live in the upstate (Spartanburg) and just checked Gordon's website.  I've ordered some parts from him before.  I saw the picture of the MKE gun, and I don't like the barrel that comes on that model.  If it came with a standard HK profile barrel that was threaded I'd be all over it.

I handled one of those guns at a store in Birmingham, AL a few months ago and was impressed by the quality, I just don't like the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I know what you're saying regarding the barrel.
Keep in mind you have one of the best HK smiths to be found residing in your back yard - Gerard Miller at Power Shot in Laurens. I plan to have him rebarrel my 9mm MKE.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm glad to see all these different opinions because I am right in the middle of this same decision. I'm going to pick up a shooter type 93 rifle and trying to decide between a C93, V93, or an MKE rifle.

Anyone here have an opinion on the MKE rifles? I don't have an first hand experience.
View Quote
I have the 43 (5.56) rifle and it's really a weird abortion the way it comes from the factory. I replaced: stock butt cap, recoil spring assembly, trigger group. Removed the tack welded bars in the magwell. It's 922r compliant, and disassembles like all other HKs now. Looks and functions 100%. Very close to an HK in fit and finish.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Moore Advanced Dynamics new HK33 style rifle accepts regular p-mags, anyone have any feedback on them??

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/mad-33-5-56-nato-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Either one is a gamble with that said I vote Century. I took a gamble on Vector and after a trip back to Vector for a defect that couldn't be missed by a blind drunken monkey the replacement rifle they sent was shit as well. I wouldn't buy another Vector even if they where the last gun manufacturer in business. They wouldn't even honor thier own return policy.
View Quote

You and I must have bought the V53 at the same time. mine is a poorly built POS. It's been back to Vector and they screwed it up even worse. They refuse to take calls or return messages. I'll never buy one of their products again and recommend that everyone interested in a Vector run away as fast as they can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top