Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2014 7:48:04 AM EDT
I've talked to Bundeswehr guys before, and not one of them ever mentioned it. Nor have I ever read any personal accounts of the G36 losing zero when it's heated up/firing full auto. Is this just HK hate?

I'd like some input from guys who have actually used them. Not the usual "well I heard..." or "my cousins nieces half brother..."
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The G36 has many many issues HK has offered to fix these issues but the german govt doesn't want to spend the money. At least that is what I've read, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm saying no, in fact if you read the article it came from, the complaints didn't originate with the troops.  I'm not a fan of the G36 optic and you often see that replaced and could be the problem.  I actually like the red dot--it's too small this day and age, but the narrow tube has an aperture effect that helps my old eyes.  The 3X part of the optic is mounted on two rubber bellows that could easily expand and contract in different conditions.  When I run iron sights it never looses zero even when below zero cold.  Mine also doesn't care for the nato round.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm saying no, in fact if you read the article it came from, the complaints didn't originate with the troops.  I'm not a fan of the G36 optic and you often see that replaced and could be the problem.  I actually like the red dot--it's too small this day and age, but the narrow tube has an aperture effect that helps my old eyes.  The 3X part of the optic is mounted on two rubber bellows that could easily expand and contract in different conditions.  When I run iron sights it never looses zero even when below zero cold.  Mine also doesn't care for the nato round.  

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/7gkk541j" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/268/kk541.jpg</a>
View Quote

Interesting, thanks.

I've seen plenty of G36s being run with irons and rails with something like an EOTech, don't know if that would be in response to the standard optic (I've tried one once, and while the reticule system is very cool, the eye relief does suck).
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]

cannot speak for the g36  but my hk ump clone only has irons and it runs like a champ... I know it is 45 auto but they share the same sight set up basically
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
G36 stock irons blow HARD. They have a super short sight plane, the post is very thick and the aren't all that durable.

The rifle is very reliable, but the sighting systems are meh
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  

G36s are NOT importable to the U.S. - for civilians anyway.  

But a good friend worked for a federal police force and they bought a bunch of G36s out of panic after N. hollywood.  They were semi/burst guns.  

He tested them.  The precision optic did not hold its zero over wide tempature changes.   As in:  sight the gun in at room temp and it would hit a few inches off a freezing. Or a few inches off at 100+ deg in summer.

A few inches?  So what, right?  For LEO work, that's the difference between a CNS hit and the hostage's head.

They dumped the G36 and got something else.  Many of the G36s were shown the dept. band-saw.  Others were traded to diff. police departments (this is common among LEO agencies looking for gear).

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes.  

But a good friend worked for a federal police force and they bought a bunch of G36s out of panic after N. hollywood.  They were semi/burst guns.  

He tested them.  The precision optic did not hold its zero over wide tempature changes.   As in:  sight the gun in at room temp and it would hit a few inches off a freezing. Or a few inches off at 100+ deg in summer.

A few inches?  So what, right?  For LEO work, that's the difference between a CNS hit and the hostage's head.

They dumped the G36 and got something else.  Many of the G36s were shown the dept. band-saw.  Others were traded to diff. police departments (this is common among LEO agencies looking for gear).

View Quote

Yes, I've heard the DC Police story before. However, the Germans I've talked to, and the few I've read about about who own them personally say no, they don't lose zero.

I'd be curious to know what the DC test entailed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, I've heard the DC Police story before. However, the Germans I've talked to, and the few I've read about about who own them personally say no, they don't lose zero.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  

It wasn't DCPD it was US Capitol Police.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top