Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2013 2:51:25 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a MP5. While I cannot a afford a real HK94 as of yet. I've decided to look at buying a clone. I was hoping to get a few opinions on which clones are good and which to stay away from.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a cohaire arms ca94. Initially there was an extreme jamming problem due to factory defect but after sending it back to cohaire the thing runs like a dream
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Bobcat BW5-SD and its run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Coharie Arms CA-94.  Worked right out of the box, but I replaced certain parts anyway.  The clone game is still a crap shoot unless you buy one like those offered by Dakota Tactical.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Short of spending ~$3000 on one built by Parabellum Combat Systems or Dakota Tactical, by far the best clone you can get is a MKE. They are made under HK contract so they are the closest you are going to get to HK quality from a mass produced clone. For awhile you could find them under $1500 but now they are starting to creep up there in price do to them not being imported anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, MKE is the way to go. But expect to pay around 2K for one now.I paid 1300 for my K model about three years ago. And I am glad I did.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish I had not sold my MKE 94k
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
MKE...
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The latest version Coharie barreled uppers are available again. Get them while you can...

http://www.black-market-parts.com/9mm-Standard-Painted-Barreled-Upper_p_392.html

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]

I bought a BMP k last year for $700 and it was worth it (even with a trip back to the shop for warranty work).  In my opinion, it's not worth the $1050 they are asking for now...and judging by how the uppers have been in stock for quite a while, I'm not alone.  But the market dictates the price

I've got a fullsize MKE rebarreled and refinished by Joe at DakTac and its awesome.   Turn around time last year was 7 weeks.  I sent my MKE K in for the same treatment and 13 months later I'm still waiting....patiently.  Good thing is that it makes waiting on the Feds easier!

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be honest- the wait sucks.  It's not cheap.  Here in Michigan I can't SBR it (not going to retire here tho ).  But I put my money with Dakota Tactical.  There are great options out there, however I felt it was worth the wait.  Now that I have one I feel it is worth the price.  I have had the pleasure of meeting Joe (Dakota Tactical) and I can tell you he is the salt of the Earth.  Here is my reverse stretch- I could not have been more pleased.  My photo skills are horrible and believe me this picture does not do it justice.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one of the first Dakota Tactical D54P-N models. The quality and reliability was awesome!

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll be honest- the wait sucks.  It's not cheap.  Here in Michigan I can't SBR it (not going to retire here tho ).  But I put my money with Dakota Tactical.  There are great options out there, however I felt it was worth the wait.  Now that I have one I feel it is worth the price.  I have had the pleasure of meeting Joe (Dakota Tactical) and I can tell you he is the salt of the Earth.  Here is my reverse stretch- I could not have been more pleased.  My photo skills are horrible and believe me this picture does not do it justice.

http://i37.tinypic.com/9fmqex.jpg

I want a K so badly, but I would "settle" for a reverse stretch...
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
My BW5 runs and runs and runs....

Are there better, more refined options? Yes, in a custom build. If you're going to consider a clone, though, you should educate yourself on the potential problem areas and what to look for. Most problems can be solved releatively cheap. Some require reworking by one of the aforementioned smiths.

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My BW5 runs and runs and runs....

Are there better, more refined options? Yes, in a custom build. If you're going to consider a clone, though, you should educate yourself on the potential problem areas and what to look for. Most problems can be solved releatively cheap. Some require reworking by one of the aforementioned smiths.

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/mp5-octane-surefire.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/mp5-od-green.jpg

Jealous of both you guys above!  If I may ask- that three-lug barrel looks chromed, is that what I am seeing?  Looks great- especially with the can over it tho!

We finally got the "right" to have a can somewhat recently.  Could you you give me your take on that if it pleases the mods as I realize this isn't the NFA forum.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Jealous of both you guys above!  If I may ask- that three-lug barrel looks chromed, is that what I am seeing?  Looks great- especially with the can over it tho!

We finally got the "right" to have a can somewhat recently.  Could you you give me your take on that if it pleases the mods as I realize this isn't the NFA forum.

On mine, the barrel is stainless steel. The dimensional tolerances between the 3-lug barrel and the 3-lug adapter for the suppressor do not allow for any applied coating on the lugs. I guess one could explore blackening procedures for the stainless steel, but I just let it remain in the white.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top