Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:49:00 AM
What are peoples thoughts on putting Loctite on the threads of a muzzle brake on a 91 pattern rifle?

My specifics are a JLD PTR "heavy" barrel, a JP Enterprises recoil Eliminator comp and which Loctite should I use? Blue (removeable), red (lotsa heat to remove) or ???

Thanks in advance.
nugentgl
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:01:10 AM
Are you having problems with it unscrewing? If not, tighten it up with wrench if it has flats or a strap wrench. If you are having problems with it unscrewing or loosening, take my advice, use blue if you EVER think you will want to remove it. I had a flash hider installed from the factory (DSA FAL) with Red loctite and it took 20 minutes with a torch to heat it up so I could remove the flash hider.
osprey21
Known Associate
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2006 11:33:00 AM
You'll be fine using the blue.
billbotts
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:00:05 PM
I went with blue, the heat required to release red is hard to generate without a torch and I am not a torch guy.....mine have stayed put just fine.
pas59
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:08:26 PM
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 7:36:16 PM by pas59]
I have a FMP G3S that I wish I had Loctite'd the flash hider on.
During a rather "excided" blast of bump firing, the flash hider unscrewed itself and I shot it off.
I didn't realize this until I was done firing. The barrel threads are screwed up beyond repair.
It look's like they were peeled from the end of the barrel.
My major concern is that I "tweaked" the end of the barrel. Not just screwed up the threads, but "bent" the end of the barrel.
I haven't shot it since.
I feel ashamed of myself for doing something this foolish.
I ordered a Smith Vortex to replace the FMP flash hider.
I am torn between just having the barrel rethreaded, or having it shortened to 16" and having the Vortex perm attached.
Any help would be welcome.
I will post some pics as soon as possible.
Thanks,
pas59
M4-TUNA
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/11/2006 10:50:31 AM
Slow heat is the key if you use red. We use the stuff making 14K gold fishing swivels.
JUST SHOOT IT!
billbotts
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:06:38 PM

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:
Slow heat is the key if you use red. ...

For future reference, what sort of slow heat, how much, how long? I have always seen people use a propane torch to loosen it, but I would sure like to know a different technique...especially if I can avoid the torch.
M4-TUNA
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/11/2006 4:19:13 PM

Originally Posted By billbotts:

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:
Slow heat is the key if you use red. ...

For future reference, what sort of slow heat, how much, how long? I have always seen people use a propane torch to loosen it, but I would sure like to know a different technique...especially if I can avoid the torch.

Well you use the propane torch, just heat it slow not with a huge flame. Wave the flame all over the threaded area of the FH. We you see some smoke or a lil flame pop out around the FH it should be ready to come off. I use this method on gold ,so it is even tricker not to scorch the metal too much.
JUST SHOOT IT!