Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 9:38:37 PM EDT
I have a SAR-48 bush model I got back before the 1994 ban. It has always had a stiff trigger.  As I get older, it is getting harder and harder to pull it accurately.  It is worse than the M1A Socom or AR10 by far.  Does anyone know a reputable FNologist who could lighten the trigger pull?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the Falcon spring kit for around $15 for starters.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Very simple to buff the sear and hammer on a FAL.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very simple to buff the sear and hammer on a FAL.
View Quote
You are undoubtedly right. But considering the age and value of the weapon, it doesn't need someone clueless messing with it (with me being the clueless).
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy some spares to mess with then, import metric FAL parts are pretty cheap. Hammers are $5 and sears $2 on Apex for example. The used parts might even be worn enough to not need any help.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone tried this trigger from JARD, Inc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I've bought and sold many a firearm in my day and the one I most regret selling is my SAR 48 Bush.

I still have my "regular" SAR 48 though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
One approach that I would recommend against is replacing the hammer spring with a lighter one.  I know that no one has recommended trying that yet, but it's often what people do with pistols.

When it was dirt cheap, I bought a bunch of the S&B pale blue/green boxed 7.62mm NATO ammo with the black stained primers (ZV69).  In my new (at the time) SAR-48 (standard rifle), I had a fairly high failure to fire rate with this ammo with hard primers.  The second strike would always fire the round.

This same ammo is 100% in an M98.

I tried replacing the hammer spring with a slightly 'heavier' one and it helped considerably, but didn't completely fix the problem.

The SAR-48 has always been 100% with the other ammo that I have fired in it, including Portuguese (which is known to be problematic this way in some rifles).

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've bought and sold many a firearm in my day and the one I most regret selling is my SAR 48 Bush.

I still have my "regular" SAR 48 though.
View Quote
Another one regretting selling his Bush rifle.  

CD
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Try a Steyr trigger spring.  They are typically the lightest for OEM parts, IMBEL (which made the SAR-48) typically being the heaviest.  I switched the IMBEL one in my latest build for an FN one and it made a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger on my favorite FAL is about 10 pounds.

It has never been an issue...I hate light triggers.

If it is creepy, then yeah, get it looked at.  But chasing light triggers in the FAL often ends in malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The trigger on my favorite FAL is about 10 pounds.

It has never been an issue...I hate light triggers.

If it is creepy, then yeah, get it looked at.  But chasing light triggers in the FAL often ends in malfunctions.
View Quote
I think it was gunplumber who said that the lightest that you can get the FAL trigger and have it remain safe is about 6 lbs.  Personally, I like my triggers lighter than that, but I also would never make a trigger unsafe.  For me, 3lbs, roughly, is ideal for rifles; I do like 2-stage triggers over single-stage, though.  But I'd take a heavier trigger that breaks like a glass rod over a lighter one that has a bunch of creep or is inconsistent.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
FAL's have a fairly smooth trigger but are heavy. Smoothing out everything related to the trigger helps and is a good idea but the trigger spring is the most important to address. If you want a target trigger on a FAL it can be done fairly easily with the stock parts. A 3 pound trigger that breaks like glass can be made fairly easily with stock parts.
If someone wants a lighter trigger then cut a bit off the trigger spring. Cutting the trigger spring shorter gives the ability to add washers to the rear of the spring and adjust the pull weight as you desire. Once the trigger has been smoothed / polished out and the (length of pull shortened if wanted) and the weight of pull is lowered a FAL ends up with a very nice trigger.
I think the FAL stock trigger is about as easy to make into a target quality trigger as it gets. A sub 3 pound trigger on a FAL should be reserved for a bench rest gun because it can become dangerous for anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top