Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2017 1:23:26 AM EDT
This thing was quite the fiasco, between my barreled receiver plus other parts stolen in the mail on the way to my FFL, to a severe undertiming problem on the barrel (undertimed almost 180 degrees by hand), to a gunsmith damaging the barrel in the process of getting it on and who also messed other stuff up, and finally my sending it to a respected FAL gunsmith who fixed it and then some (Terry Bridwell in Oregon).  I finally got it back in the mail over a week ago.  Unfortunately, it came in too late to take to Cola Warrior, but I'm glad it's finally here and 'l be shooting it soon.  Terry already ran a couple of mags through it for function check without a problem.  Pictured below with a Hi-power I got not too long ago from Cole's Distributing.

I still may make a couple of small changes and I also need to refinish the carry handle wire and top cover.  I'm also working on setting it up to use QD swivels.  Need to mount one on the handguards and one on the side of the stock near the buttpad.  I may also need to get a shorter front sight (it has a bottomed-out 2-dot).  I also have a polymer Magpul MLOK rail section that I haven't put back on which I use to mount an Inforce WML on the left side.

Interestingly, very little of the original IMBEL parts kit for this project is still present.  Some of it was stolen with the receiver (bolt and carrier, barrel, gas block, front and rear sight assemblies), the rest was replaced.  Only the charging handle, carry handle, trigger and hammer axis pins, pivot pin, magazine release and pivot screw, trigger, frame lock assembly, recoil parts, and butt stock assembly are still present.  It has a Steyr barrel and gas block cut down to about 17 inches; an FN FNC combo device; IMBEL non-bipod cut handguards; FN sights, with the rear sight aperture opened up to 5mm; FN fire controul parts aside from what's mentioned above and a DSA extended selector; IMBEL receiver; IMBEL trigger housing with internal lightening cuts; IMBEL lightened return spring tube and IMBEL stock; FN USA SAW pistol grip; FN hiduminium charger-guide top cover; and Commonwealth bolt group, among other parts.  With the sling swivels installed plus a hiduminium magazine, it weighs about 9lbs 10 oz.  With a steel magazine it weighs an extra 4.5 oz. or so.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I like it. Too bad you have to have the extra items due to where you live, but it looks neat. I like the FH, thought about using one myself before.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good!
I also use the SAW grip and DSA extended selector on my builds.
That barrel should be a good shooter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good!
I also use the SAW grip and DSA extended selector on my builds.
That barrel should be a good shooter.
View Quote
It's much more ergonomic, for sure.  I actually find it easier to grip and use the selector than on an AR when set up like that.  However, the horizontal frame lock levers don't go well with it.  I have to place the selector on Fire to be able to use it.  I'll probably switch to a vertical lever.

I bought a Belgian M3 lower with most of the internals a couple of years ago and I was going to swap the internals out, anyways, so I'll probably switch over the frame lock parts (it has a vertical lever).  I already switched out most of the fire controul parts.  The trigger was originally quite heavy, but crisp.  After switching to a new lower, it was even heavier and very rough and gritty, with a lot of creep.  I switched out the pars with the Belgian ones and the trigger is much lighter, clean, and has only the slightest bit of creep (and sometimes breaks without any creep).
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like it. Too bad you have to have the extra items due to where you live, but it looks neat. I like the FH, thought about using one myself before.
View Quote
I gotta figure out a way to fix the magazine by the end of the year that doesn't involve riveting, welding, pinning, or drilling anything on any major part.  Any release mechanism needs to require the opening or disassembly of the action in order to remove the magazine.  Tall order on this design.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Stripper clip guide up top?  Or a mag that drops down a bit, then swivels to the left side?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stripper clip guide up top?  Or a mag that drops down a bit, then swivels to the left side?
View Quote
It already has a charger guide.  What is needed is a way to fix the magazine such that it cannot be removed without disassembly of the action.  I don't want to permanently modify the receiver, ejector block, etc.  Before they came up with a FAL bullet button device they used to pin or weld the magazine to the receiver.  I have no desire to go that route or anything like it.

Depending on what regulations the DOJ ends up issuing, disassembly or removal of parts essential to semi-auto function could be options.  They would have been under the withdrawn regulation proposals.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Tack weld the bullet button on, grind it off when freedom occurs?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Good looking rifle! I'm glad it all worked out!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle, shame you have to the Kommifornia crap to you rifle to keep it legal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top