Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 5:44:00 PM EDT
I picked up a few home built FALs in the early 2000s that I would like to have rebuilt.  I can see that one barrel is canted and another one the bolt sticks and does not slide freely.  Anyway, I don't trust that the original builder was on top of his game and would feel better if I had the uppers sent out to be rebuilt.  Any ideas on a reputable smith that could do this work?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had Arizona Response Systems do some tune-up work on a DSA FAL a few years back. Good service/price and turn around time. YMMV
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had Arizona Response Systems do some tune-up work on a DSA FAL a few years back. Good service/price and turn around time. YMMV
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com
View Quote

These guys or Gunplumber on the FalFiles.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Randy/Sledgehammer in Texas
Mark\Gunplunger in Arizona

Either one of these top FAL smith's can fix you up.

Do not under any circumstances take any FAL to a local gunsmith. None have the specialized knowledge, gauges and parts to work on FAL's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Mark/Gunplumber.

He built an L1A1 for me and it was a work of art !!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I just sent my FAL barrel and receiver to be headspaced and fitted to Rich Banks of Frontline Armory in Pennsylvania. He got my parts on Friday, had it built up on Saturday and in the mail on Tuesday. It was only $55 to properly fit and time the barrel and headspace with the proper locking shoulder. I cannot say any better about his service. A very friendly and easy guy to work with. Mark (Gunplumber) at Arizona Response Systems quoted me $350 to do the same service.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a receiver wrench and knock it out yourself.

They really are not that hard to build or rebuild, assuming your receiver isn't the problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy a receiver wrench and knock it out yourself.

They really are not that hard to build or rebuild, assuming your receiver isn't the problem.
View Quote

I was going to do this but by the time you buy the wrenches, pin gauges and headspace gauges, you're usually down about $200 at least. Then you need a strong vise and some way to index it so the sights aren't canted
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was going to do this but by the time you buy the wrenches, pin gauges and headspace gauges, you're usually down about $200 at least. Then you need a strong vise and some way to index it so the sights aren't canted
View Quote

Im not saying youre wrong, but how close are you going to be to $200 by the time you ship a gun, have it fixed by a gunsmith, and ship it back? A receiver wrench is 70 bucks. Go and no go gauges are another $60 or so for a set.

If you buy the tools then you can fix it yourself, and have the ability and knowledge to do it again if necessary.

Im not knocking anyone who sends their stuff out to get worked on, as I understand. But a FAL isn't a hard gun to work on either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If the barrel undertimes or overtimes by hand, or there is some other major issues, you absolutely want a FAL expert to work on your rifle.  I learned this the hard way.  My barrel could not simply torque on, and the gunsmith I took it to fucked up the barrel.  I'm sending it to Terry Bridwell in Oregon, but if the barrel is fixable (it may or may not be), it will likely cost close to what replacing the barrel would cost at minimum.  If everything seems to go together fine by hand and is otherwise in good working order, then yeah, I'd say do the work yourself or with loaned tools if you can.  It's more satisfying and cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Im not saying youre wrong, but how close are you going to be to $200 by the time you ship a gun, have it fixed by a gunsmith, and ship it back? A receiver wrench is 70 bucks. Go and no go gauges are another $60 or so for a set.

If you buy the tools then you can fix it yourself, and have the ability and knowledge to do it again if necessary.

Im not knocking anyone who sends their stuff out to get worked on, as I understand. But a FAL isn't a hard gun to work on either.
View Quote

I paid $55 for the service and about $50 for shipping there and back so $105 total.

I'm all for building stuff myself and have done many ar's, ak's and a 1911 among many other smaller projects. For me it wasn't cost effective to buy the Fal tooling for one or even two rifles. Maybe if you could borrow a lot of the tools it would be better or if you plan on building 3+ rifles
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For me it wasn't cost effective to buy the Fal tooling for one or even two rifles. Maybe if you could borrow a lot of the tools it would be better or if you plan on building 3+ rifles
View Quote
Buy the tools. Do the work. Sell tools for 1/3 of purchase price. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Those guys ARE Gunplumber.
View Quote
Gunplumber stated that he isn't taking any new work until his 2016 backlog is cleared. This statement was made in a very recent post in the marketplace forum on FalFiles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Buy the tools. Do the work. Sell tools for 1/3 of purchase price. 
View Quote

That's another thing to consider. I'm not saying not to do it yourself but for the price I found it more economical to send it out. I would suggest to the OP to join falfiles or weaponsguild and ask to borrow at least the headspace gauges and pin gauges if he decides to go that way. Those are more common than the FAL specific tools to borrow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The bolt sticking problem sounds like a problem with the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If the barrel undertimes or overtimes by hand, or there is some other major issues, you absolutely want a FAL expert to work on your rifle.  I learned this the hard way.  My barrel could not simply torque on, and the gunsmith I took it to fucked up the barrel.  I'm sending it to Terry Bridwell in Oregon, but if the barrel is fixable (it may or may not be), it will likely cost close to what replacing the barrel would cost at minimum.  If everything seems to go together fine by hand and is otherwise in good working order, then yeah, I'd say do the work yourself or with loaned tools if you can.  It's more satisfying and cheaper that way.
View Quote

I don't think that's his problem. He has a built rifle and the barrel wasn't properly timed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do not under any circumstances take any FAL to a local gunsmith. None have the specialized knowledge, gauges and parts to work on FAL's.
View Quote

Randy helped me over a decade ago with 4 or 5 of them. Top notch smith who knows his stuff and a fast turn around time
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

What?  It ain't rocket science.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Court in South Florida is another FAL guru.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't. Perhaps when things go sideways, specialized skill can be required, but FAL's are super easy to work on. All my build tools- barrel blocks, receiver wrench, hole gages, headspace gages, cheater bar- cost me less than $250. Well worth it to be able to build and service my own rifles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gunplumber stated that he isn't taking any new work until his 2016 backlog is cleared. This statement was made in a very recent post in the marketplace forum on FalFiles.
View Quote

Im no builder.  My Argy FAL was an abortion after the "expert" FAL builder tried to put it together and get it right multiple times and another so called "expert" tried to fix it.

With his reputation there was no other option except Gunplumber to get it right.  He send me some F'd up pictures showing why my Argy receiver and pristine Sarco Argy barrel had to be scrapped.

I probably should have scrapped the whole thing as I'll have 3x into it  more than what it's worth.  The other downside is he's probably had it six months and says I MIGHT get it by mid April.  Course about a month+ of that time was me dicking around trying to get another receiver.  Couldn't believe what Imbels are now going for and I certainly wasn't going to coin up for another Argy receiver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just saw this. Was it a local guy that I was thinking of taking mine to for the same service? If you don't want to say online, just shoot me a pm or text.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Im no builder.  My Argy FAL was an abortion after the "expert" FAL builder tried to put it together and get it right multiple times and another so called "expert" tried to fix it.

With his reputation there was no other option except Gunplumber to get it right.  He send me some F'd up pictures showing why my Argy receiver and pristine Sarco Argy barrel had to be scrapped.

I probably should have scrapped the whole thing as I'll have 3x into it  more than what it's worth.  The other downside is he's probably had it six months and says I MIGHT get it by mid April.  Course about a month+ of that time was me dicking around trying to get another receiver.  Couldn't believe what Imbels are now going for and I certainly wasn't going to coin up for another Argy receiver.
View Quote
I'm curious what did the pictures show?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top