Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 3:18:59 PM EDT
Shot my FAL for the 2nd time today, very nice shooting gun!  It has the carry handle attached, and i folded it down on the right side of the rifle, and when i shot it, the brass flee out and hit the carry handle breaking a piece of plastic off the handle.  Should i fold the handle to the opposite side of the gun while shooting?  How can i prevent this from happening again?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Shot my FAL for the 2nd time today, very nice shooting gun!  It has the carry handle attached, and i folded it down on the right side of the rifle, and when i shot it, the brass flee out and hit the carry handle breaking a piece of plastic off the handle.  Should i fold the handle to the opposite side of the gun while shooting?  How can i prevent this from happening again?
View Quote

What type of FAL do you have? I have a DSA  medium contour I have never had a problem with brass hitting it (the handle). On mine the handle will only go to the carry position. It can't be folded to the other side.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an Argie FAL on a Coonan receiver.  Looks very similair to some of the DSAs.  I'll see if i can post a pic later.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
When viewed from the rear, the carry will only go about 45* after passing the vertical. Hence, it will not be able to fold down on the left side. The base of the handle is basically a lock washer. To provide more tension, you can insert a rod and twist while securely holding the straight section right after the ring. G slow and test for fit. The carry handle should not be able to move unless you provide that impetus. If it's flopping around on its own accord, it needs to be tightened.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My carry handle is fairly tight, definitely not flopping around.  I'm not even sure the brass hit the tip of the carry handle, just assuming it did, don't know how else it would have broke.  I glued the piece back on, maybe it was just weak plastic.  This FAL was built up from a surplus Argentine kit, no telling how old it really is...

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Brass shouldn't be striking down there, especially if it is flying fast enough to possibly do that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Alright, looks like i'll just chalk it up to weak plastic.  

I super glued the piece back on, if it happens again i'll look into replacing the handle.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
A floppy carry handle is a safety hazzard.

I have heard of a South African soldier losing an eye due to being hit by brass hitting the carry handle as it flopped around.

Don't know it it's true or not.

I also read that some units did cut the handle off their FALs.

You can remove it and replace it with a spacer.

Mine fits really snug or I would have removed it by now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, but my carry handle isn't floppy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Extraction being on the right side of the cartridge case will cause the case to be ejected when struck by the ejector up and to the right (at approx a 45 degree angle) thus hitting the receiver behind the ejection port with the case mouth and flinging the cartridge case up and to the right.  The cartridge case should never strike below the upper receiver.  If this is happening there is something seriously wrong with the rifle.  The reason that the other op posted that you should tighten down your carrying handle was because a loose carrying handle can fly up during recoil thus causing the cartridge case to strike it on the way out.  If this is not happening it may have not been the cartridge case striking your carrying handle that caused the plastic to chip.

SFC out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A floppy carry handle is a safety hazard.

I have heard of a South African soldier losing an eye due to being hit by brass hitting the carry handle as it flopped around.

Don't know it it's true or not.

I also read that some units did cut the handle off their FALs.
View Quote

That's why the Rhodesian FN's frequently sport chopped carry handle rings. From what little information I've been able to gather, the incident (not in RSA) happened around 1972, which would coincide with a declining population of unmodified carry handles on their rifles from then on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I just leave it off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Remove it; loosen the gas nut and it will come off. There is a guy on Falfiles who sells spacers which fit great, if u r worried about cosmetics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I just took mine off too. Although the reason I did that was because it was floppy. It sounds like I am missing a part that should make it tight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just took mine off too. Although the reason I did that was because it was floppy. It sounds like I am missing a part that should make it tight.
View Quote
On my recent build it was floppy as well.  I put the ring in a vise and pulled until it bent a tad (notice that the ring has a gap; that's for adjustment).  Tried it in the receiver and it was just right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top