Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2016 7:15:46 AM EDT
FAL noob here with some questions...

Is the gas regulator supposed to click between different settings? Mine doesn't. It just spins without stopping.

Also, if I wanted to switch to the Holland style rear sight, what height front sight would I need for an 18" barrel? I currently have an A2 style rear from DSA on it.

Has anyone broken the roll pin on the charging handle? Mine broke. DSA sent me a replacement, but now I'm paranoid it's going to break again. Is there a "beefed" up pin that I can get that will last longer?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
1. No, check your Gas regulator Sleeve spring, is yours missing?
2. Should be fine on a Metric rifle, the front site is adjustable.
3. What are you doing, jumping on the charging handle?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#2]
There is supposed to be a spring that provides resistance to the rotation of the regulator, resulting in clicks. It shouldn't be easy to rotate once it's screwed on all of the way. The spring attaches to the gas block and sits under the regulator.

Not sure about the front sight, every rifle is different. A one or two dot post are the most likely to work with that barrel length. Remember, the fixed rear sight is meant to be zeroed at 250m.

Roll pin? Are you talking about the one that holds the T shaped lug in place? It shouldn't break under typical use. It has to fit in its hole, so no, it can't be beefed up. I've never seen or heard of one breaking before.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. No, check your Gas regulator Sleeve spring, is yours missing?
2. Should be fine on a Metric rifle, the front site is adjustable.
3. What are you doing, jumping on the charging handle?
View Quote

When I first got the rifle before taking it to the range, I charged it a few times. The pin that broke looked like a solid pin, unlike the roll pin replacement that they sent me. Anyways, I'm not hard on my weapons unnecessarily. I own AR15s, an AK, an M1A, and many other weapons and I've never and anything like that break before.

I'll check for the regulator spring.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is supposed to be a spring that provides resistance to the rotation of the regulator, resulting in clicks. It shouldn't be easy to rotate once it's screwed on all of the way. The spring attaches to the gas block and sits under the regulator.

Not sure about the front sight, every rifle is different. A one or two dot post are the most likely to work with that barrel length. Remember, the fixed rear sight is meant to be zeroed at 250m.

Roll pin? Are you talking about the one that holds the T shaped lug in place? It shouldn't break under typical use. It has to fit in its hole, so no, it can't be beefed up. I've never seen or heard of one breaking before.
View Quote

Yep, I broke that pin. Not sure how, but I did.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I took off my handguards for the first time and there is no regulator spring. I sent DSA an email, so I'm gonna have to wait and see what they say.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
A chunk of coat hanger works fine as a pin too....
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not a bad idea. I bet it would work better than a roll pin.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used a nail that was then ground off when the kit I had was missing that pin. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Update: I was able to reach DSA and they sent me a replacement regulator spring for free. I got the spring installed, which was a piece of cake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top