Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 11:20:47 AM EDT
So are all DSA FAL's now made on cast receivers?
Good, bad, indifferent?

I am looking to buy a DSA Para Congo.
I have read that DSA still makes forged receivers, I don't see it on their webpage.

I should have never sold my STG58.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Good, bad, indifferent?

I have read that DSA still makes forged receivers, I don't see it on their webpage.

View Quote

When you place your order you can select a forged receiver at no additional cost.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you place your order you can select a forged receiver at no additional cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good, bad, indifferent?

True, but... they'll never be the quality of the LMT made receivers.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
DSA no longer offers a forged receiver.
All gone.
No mas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All gone.
No mas.
View Quote

Weird.

Picked one up the other week from them

...I assumed its Forged. I gave them the code for a forged type 1 when ordering. Now shows to be out of stock on their website

Either way I got an excellent receiver. I still believe it to be forged. Never did see any casting marks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All gone.
No mas.
View Quote

Its true they are not making any more but they are not all gone yet.  They still offer the ones they have left for sale.  I just talked to them last week on the phone about it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its true they are not making any more but they are not all gone yet.  They still offer the ones they have left for sale.  I just talked to them last week on the phone about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All gone.
No mas.

They are no longer building FAL's with the forged uppers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the S/N where they stopped the forged receiver complete guns?
Also, if the forged complete guns are gone... why pick the standard SA85 over the cheaper Voyager model?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Forged Type I carry handle cut receiver from DSA last week.
They didn't have any carry handle cut Type II's.

The guy I spoke with told me that DSA had 12 forged received total left when I bought mine.

It's going to be delivered to my FFL tomorrow.

I also bought a Para Congo from DSA.

I looked at a Voyager, the finish.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]

And here's my forged Type I carry handle cut DSA upper.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Can anyone explain the difference between the standard model and the Voyager model?
Since they both now have cast receivers... what justify the higher price for the standard model?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I can gather it's the finish.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I can gather it's the finish.
View Quote

I noticed the rear sight is differnt as well....
I can not justify the $400 difference for just different finish and a different rear sight
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the cast receivers a problem? Would that be a make or brake on buying a DSA? Wondering because I'm shopping for a FAL
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can anyone explain the difference between the standard model and the Voyager model?
Since they both now have cast receivers... what justify the higher price for the standard model?
View Quote

I believe the Voyager's don't have carry handle cuts either, to keep costs down.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe the Voyager's don't have carry handle cuts either, to keep costs down.
View Quote

Few parts are different

Gas plug isn't QD.

Mag release is different

Stock is different

Sights as mentioned

Finish, but that's also been mentioned
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are the cast receivers a problem? Would that be a make or brake on buying a DSA? Wondering because I'm shopping for a FAL
View Quote

It's not so much them being cast that's the issue (IIRC, FN Type 3s were cast), it's that DSA's in-house production, forged or cast, has tended to be out-of-spec and that that problem has been getting worse with their latest production, which is all cast. Sometimes it can be rather bad, like post-ABNI Entreprise receivers and such from what I've heard.  Coonan's gone downhill on the QC as well.  Those two are the only games in town, so they can get away with it to a degree.

The older forged receivers were made by LMT.  They used actual blueprints (DSA still has and uses them, but somehow gets it wrong) and maintained a high standard of QC.  Existing unused receivers carry a premium now.  I believe these have a different serial prefix, allowing them to be more readily identified.

For my latest build I ended up getting an IMBEL.  My build will end up costing less than DSA's cheapest FAL.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Where are you getting Imbel receivers?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Just did a group buy on the FAL Files.  Over 100 2001-dated IMBELs were ordered.  Got mine last month.  I'm sure there'll be another in a few months.  They are all Type 3 CHC, so if someone wants something else, they'll either need to find a highly skilled machinist who can recut them (an issue will be the serials on the magwell, though) or look somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just did a group buy on the FAL Files.  Over 100 2001-dated IMBELs were ordered.  Got mine last month.  I'm sure there'll be another in a few months.  They are all Type 3 CHC, so if someone wants something else, they'll either need to find a highly skilled machinist who can recut them (an issue will be the serials on the magwell, though) or look somewhere else.
View Quote

recuting them would be an issue after heat treatment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
FAL Guru, Mark Graham, of Arizona Response Systems will build an FAL on DSA's new cast receiver so that means they are ok.

My son recently asked him this question.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not so much them being cast that's the issue (IIRC, FN Type 3s were cast), it's that DSA's in-house production, forged or cast, has tended to be out-of-spec and that that problem has been getting worse with their latest production, which is all cast. Sometimes it can be rather bad, like post-ABNI Entreprise receivers and such from what I've heard.  Coonan's gone downhill on the QC as well.  Those two are the only games in town, so they can get away with it to a degree.

The older forged receivers were made by LMT.  They used actual blueprints (DSA still has and uses them, but somehow gets it wrong) and maintained a high standard of QC.  Existing unused receivers carry a premium now.  I believe these have a different serial prefix, allowing them to be more readily identified.

For my latest build I ended up getting an IMBEL.  My build will end up costing less than DSA's cheapest FAL.
View Quote

Thank you for the explanation, back to FAL shopping I guess
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have had it done; not sure if they ever had any issues.

My buddy had the rail lightening cuts done with no issue.  The cuts made are to the rails, on the right side of the mag well and just above the left side (earlier IMBEL Type 3s had the cuts at the top of each side of the magwell), and the receiver ring.  There is also one on the ejector block somewhere and on the frame lock lug.  DSA (and sometimes FN, as well as all Commonwealth types) has sand cuts internally as well (Mark at ARS has done these in the past, and at one point I think he also did or had done external lightening cuts).

Both FN and IMBEL made lightening cuts on the lowers, too, in at least two different configurations (the cuts are made inside of the lowers).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The Para Congo I ordered from DSA on 25 Oct 16 will be delivered on Wednesday.
120 days.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:10:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I have machined several IMBEL receivers for various people over the years. Mostly cutting them for folding charging handles and inch mags. With carbide tooling, it wasn't difficult at all. HSS would have worked as well, but just taken much longer to cut. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Para Congo I ordered from DSA on 25 Oct 16 will be delivered on Wednesday.
120 days.  
View Quote

I think the deal with that was that they ran out of 18" barrels and had to get a new batch machined. I ordered the same rifle in early Jan and the guy said it would be 6-8 weeks, but they just got their 18" barrels in a little bit ago, so mine might come faster. Who knows
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked it up last night.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#27]
That's fine looking FAL ! 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Para goodness! Congrats on your acquisition. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top