Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 10:30:10 AM EDT
Just bought an FAL to shoot in 3 gun HD.  I'm not so knowledgeable about the different variations. I've done some research but still not sure I got a good deal. The gun is marked Fabrique Nationale Herstel Made in Belgium Steyr Secaucus NJ on the left side. On the right side it's marked .308 Match. I'm pretty sure this is a bull gun since it has a DSA dust cover with rain and the handgaurd is a rail system. I believe the butt stock is a Mag Pul since it's marked PRS2. Shoots great and for a $1000.00 cheaper than an AR 10. Would put pictures up but can't figure out how.

Hopefully updated with pictures
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just bought an FAL to shoot in 3 gun HD.  I'm not so knowledgeable about the different variations. I've done some research but still not sure I got a good deal. The gun is marked Fabrique Nationale Herstel Made in Belgium Steyr Secaucus NJ on the left side. On the right side it's marked .308 Match. I'm pretty sure this is a bull gun since it has a DSA dust cover with rain and the handgaurd is a rail system. I believe the butt stock is a Mag Pul since it's marked PRS2. Shoots great and for a $1000.00 cheaper than an AR 10. Would put pictures up but can't figure out how.
View Quote

www.tinypic.com

Upload your pictures then copy and paste the (img) link into you post.  You picture show up....
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]

If this worked here are some pictures
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: gun is marked Fabrique Nationale Herstel Made in Belgium Steyr Secaucus NJ on the left side

for a $1000.00

View Quote

You did very well.
Too bad the rifle isn't in stock form though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Purists cringe.

You have a BELGIAN FAL.

With a bunch of craptastic "tactical" stuff slapped on it.

You want a proper humpback stock, factory-type handguards (bipod-cut or non-bipod-cut -- either OK), and a correct pistol grip.
Correct OEM parts in good nick won't be terribly expensive.

You can keep the railed top-cover if you really plan to do meaningful shooting with that gun with optics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Truthfully I didn't know  much about it when I bought it. It was love at first sight!!! I'll have to think about taking it back original.  It's a gorgeous gun has maybe 500 rounds through it total. I bought it how you see it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Truthfully I didn't know  much about it when I bought it. It was love at first sight!!! I'll have to think about taking it back original.  It's a gorgeous gun has maybe 500 rounds through it total. I bought it how you see it.
View Quote
If you paid $1000 less than an AR-10 you got a fantastic deal. The guys over on FAL files might be of help sourcing the correct parts if you want to restore it to its original condition. I'd recommend you post about it over there as they get a lot more traffic. I don't have a very good idea as to how much it is worth but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have signed up over there but still waiting on moderator approval to post. I didn't mean I gave a 1000 less than an AR 10 I meant I gave a 1000 total for the gun sorry for the confusion. I really don't think I'll sell it even if I take it back stock. Thanks for your input!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could get a deal like that.
I think the point is guns like those are few and far between.   Most FAL fans would restore it to it's original condition and have a real prize rather than beating it up shooting 3-gun with it.   If you can swing it, get a Voyager and put all the tacticool stuff on it and save the current one for future restoration.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:03:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I've been giving that ideal a lot of thought. Looked at some on gun broker etc and asking prices were crazy. I realize this one even with original furniture isn't worth what those are since it won't be original to this gun but.... I'm seriously considering putting original furniture on it and maybe finding a Springfield M1A1 for 3 gun. I have no desire to sell it but think it would look good in her old clothes. When I bought it I truly figured it was a knockoff. Well one good thing is I have a few months before I have to decide since work has sentenced me to California for the next four months so wont be shooting it. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406070

Well apperantly the guys at the FN Files are a bunch of assholes. See the above thread. Since they have already checked this gun out and decided  I'm retarded per their quote since i bought a Belgium made  FAL not knowing exactly what it was. You'd have thought that they would have wanted to educate me rather than ridicule me without even taking the time to get all the facts. But i guess in their opinions they are the only ones truly qualified to own a FN FAL. Hopefully one of them will read this post and know how much I appreciate the ideal, they gave me. I'm gonna give my gunsmith a call in the am see if I can't get that barrel trimmed down to 16" make it easier to handle in 3 gun.  I'll post new pictures once i get the barrel shortened and it Cerakoted in flat earth. Least I can take pleasure in the fact that this is one gun those self pompous bastards will never get. Great thing about America it's my gun and I have the freedom to do with it as I please despite the FN Files Nazi's opinions.

I would have posted this over there but I guess you have to be a collector not a shooter to get permission from a mod to post, and I am not pompous enough . Sorry to rant just have a problem with holier than thou attitudes. I know it's just the internet . For the one poor soul who stood up acknowledging I bought it as you see thank you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well apperantly the guys at the FN Files are a bunch of assholes. See the above thread. Since they have already checked this gun out and decided  I'm retarded per their quote since i bought a Belgium made  FAL not knowing exactly what it was. You'd have thought that they would have wanted to educate me rather than ridicule me without even taking the time to get all the facts. But i guess in their opinions they are the only ones truly qualified to own a FN FAL. Hopefully one of them will read this post and know how much I appreciate the ideal, they gave me. I'm gonna give my gunsmith a call in the am see if I can't get that barrel trimmed down to 16" make it easier to handle in 3 gun.  I'll post new pictures once i get the barrel shortened and it Cerakoted in flat earth. Least I can take pleasure in the fact that this is one gun those self pompous bastards will never get. Great thing about America it's my gun and I have the freedom to do with it as I please despite the FN Files Nazi's opinions.

I would have posted this over there but I guess you have to be a collector not a shooter to get permission from a mod to post, and I am not pompous enough . Sorry to rant just have a problem with holier than thou attitudes. I know it's just the internet . For the one poor soul who stood up acknowledging I bought it as you see thank you.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't know wtf those guys problems are but their comments are completely uncalled for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's forums in general.

If you'd have come here with a Colt 601, that was bubbad up, you'd probably get the same response.
Especially if you said you'd chop down the barrel to 16".
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#13]
It might be easier to have the fat barrel spun off and sell it.  Spin on a Steyr barrel if you can find one.  They're shooters.  Changing a FAL barrel is only marginally harder than changing an AR barrel.  Headspace and timing are different operations that need to be checked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You have quite a fine riFAL there! Good forf you for finding it! I wish I would find a nice riFal like that!

I bet with even just correct furniture, your riFal would command much more that what you paid.

Any way, I built my FAL from and Imbel Receiver from one of falfiles Group Buys and picked up an Imbel kit. It turned out to be on sweet riFal for about a grand not including tools for a bout 175.00.

I have some cheap kits that I will build, hence justifying the purchase of tools.

I thought of building a FAL with a DSarms short handguard and gas system on a shorter DSarms barrel on a FAL with the tactical furniture.

I also thought of turning my own barrel in 458 SOCOM for the short riFAL.

Do as you wish with your riFAL, good for you for finding it. I bet the money you spend on modifying what you have, you will save by not taking apart your present riFAL.

I do see that it would be cost efficient just to work over you present riFAL.

But with correct parts, Your present riFAL would be quite a looker at the range!

A good Imbel Receiver with a build of all the DSA parts of your choice would make quite a shorten barrel riFAL as well.

That is the  fun of FAL's and the options out there!

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Nobody on the files aimed anything at you as most were just saying that the guy who had it before did a lot of wrong to what could be a $3000 rifal.  Much to be learned on the forum if you want to listen.  I would not go over there though as a snow flake because it's a bunch of older guys that love to raz butt hurt members.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Their comments were obviously aimed at deriding the original owner who decided to add all that trash to the rifle, not the new owner- you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all your input. I have been away from the "gun scene " for 20 years or so, I had seen a number of FAL's in the past but all were stock so this rifle didn't much resemble them. Being more familiar with the AR platform and having seen the evolution of those guns, I assumed that this gun was a build based off of the FAL. I have shot a couple of 3 gun matches and since I have .45 pistol, a pump shotgun this rifle seemed to fit perfect for me to shoot heavy metal. I was going to change the handgaurd out I don't like or need all the rails and boom I was set. Wasn't going to be the fastest setup but it was what I liked. After posting the pictures and reading the comments I started researching the subject more. I quickly realized anyone with a modicum of common sense wouldn't use this rifle in 3 gun. So then I end up on FAL Files which seems the go to place for information, and lo and behold I see comments like " he probably bought it as a shooter not a collector and doesn't know what he has" which is true, followed by "yeah he's retarded". Now I'll agree I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed,  but was smart enough to buy the gun for $1000.00. As far as being "butt hurt" not really the opinions of the so called experts over there have little effect on me.  Though I do wonder in what light those kind of comments portray gun owners to someone who is new to firearms. Seems we should be trying to encourage new fire arm owners not discourage them. Thankfully I have found that the attitude displayed over there is very much in the minority among gun owners. But hey it's just the internet right? As for me I've already ordered a nos dust cover, butt stock, and pistol grip, having a bit of trouble finding handgaurds in stock anywhere. I'll return the gun to as close to original as I can, then I'll shoot it every now and again.  So it seems I'm back in search of a 3 gun rifle only thing I can say is it damn sure won't be a FAL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry the character limit got me.

I do want to say thank you to all of you who provided so much informative advise.  I'll try to post some pictures of the gun after I get the NOS stuff on it. Maybe I'll paint it baby poop yellow and green and tell everyone it's Rhodesian. (That's just a joke)
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey TacMed

Please know that two things are happening in that falfiles thread and none are negative on you.

First is derision on the FUDD who tacticooled an actual Belgium made FN Herstal FAL.

Second, there is a new troll over on that board who commented in that thread and a lot of the "poking" is aimed at him.

As for you, you got one heckuva a riFAL for a heckuva a deal that needs a little TLC to have some real value.

Good for you guy. Well done!

My two cents:
Keep it and correct it, then shoot it a LOT. You will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#20]
^^^THIS^^^
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#21]
It takes a little while to get approved there, it took me quite sometime but those guys are a virtual FAL encyclopedia and THE best place if you have any questions. They are also super helpful and all you have to do is ask.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted: those guys are a virtual FAL encyclopedia and THE best place if you have any questions. They are also super helpful and all you have to do is ask.
View Quote

^^this^^

Here is a more typical thread from yesterday without the "troll" connection.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405993
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What's wrong about them for three gun?  One guy on the "files" , (Kotengu) is shooting his pretty succesfully against AR's.  He likes his 30 rd mags and only hitting some targets with one shot compared to two for .223.

I always wanted to try a garand and see how many AR shooters I could beat rocking and rolling with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One guy on the "files" , (Kotengu) is shooting his pretty succesfully against AR's.  
View Quote

Kotenga is a badazz with an FAL
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys for the information.  I wasn't implying that the FAL couldn't be competitive in 3 gun. There are some obstacles to overcome in the 2 matches I have shot the Heavy Metal guns were limited to 20 Rd mags. While with practice you can learn to change the Fal's mag as quick as the AR it isn't as easy. My main concern is that with the FAL it's difficult to buy, there are so many variations and quality out there plus having built a .223 AR I feel comfortable with determining quality in one. The FAL I'm not as familiar with and the already built FAL's are on the expensive side. I like the way the FAL feels and love the look, I bought this rifle to shoot 3 gun with because of how it handled I just think it's more difficult to choose a high quality FAL in my price range than it will be to find an AR type rifle.  Also there are many more choices in accessories for the AR styled rifles. Sure if I found a FAL that I was reasonably certain was going to be both reliable and accurate for 500 to 800 I would definitely give it consideration. Just think that would be a difficult if not impossible task. I really do appreciate all the help and advice ya'll have given me. As for the FAL files I'll continue to lurk there and learn more about these wonderful guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Basically if that is a real FN Fal. (All FNs are FALs, very few FALs are FN), then you have top of the line.  I would take off the HGs and look at the barrel markings, check to see that the BCG are matched up to the upper SN,, etc and you will know if it's the real deal.  If it's all FN then it is about as good as you will get.  They are battle axes and not scalpels.  They are never going to deliver high accuracy as 4MOA +/- is typical.  Some shoot 2 MOA but they are not common..  The FAL is a cult on the files.  Most try to build them to accurate reproductions of the various types.  The addition of tactical junk detracts from the beauty of the original lines, adds even, more, weight to an already somewhat heavy rifle.  The word platform is not in the vocabulary when speaking of our dear riFALs.

It appears that the scope rail is an ARMs mount.  These are great to mount an optic without having to mar the finish on the upper receiver.   If you decide to mount an optic keep it low as possible if you use an FAL stock to maintain a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks flk I think I'm being to understand now. So it's ok in the FAL world to make certain modifications such as painting it baby poop yellow and green, or mixing parts from Argentina with those from Belgium, as long as you don't put anything on that could be considered tactical which I'm not even sure what " tactical accessories" are and the gun wasn't made in Belgium. I sure wish someone would publish the rules so guy's like me who are new to Fal's knew what are approved accessories and what arent. In all honesty I could care less if it is an actual completely authentic Belgian made FN other than if it is then I wouldn't want to alter it in a way that ruins it's value. BTW the bolt has like the last four or five numbers of the serial number on it when I find a set of NOS handgaurds in stock I'll look at the barrel to see if it has any marks on it. The FAL is a great weapon for what it was designed to do and I think it would have been a fun gun to use in 3 gun since I'm sure most of them are more accurate than I am. What seems to have been lost here is that I get it if it truly is a Belgian made FAL it is fairly rare and should be returned to stock what I don't get is the derision and name calling by some because a gun doesn't match their ideal of proper or isn't "correct". I have read a number of threads on the "files" and found many that have provided exellent information but in all honesty much of what's there as on most forums is opinions very few of which have any merit. With that said I think i'm moving on I'm way more interested in enjoying my guns than I am in what others think of them.  Starting this thread has been an interesting experience into the world of FAL's on the web. I think I'll load a couple of mags and go shoot. I mean really isn't that what we buy them for. Hope ya'll have a great weekend and at least got to run a few rounds through the gun of your choice whether it's a correct one or not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually, if you had a clone gun, there wouldn't be the heckling.   Think.of it this way.  You have a 2012 dodge challenger, and put a big spoiler and 20" wheels on it, and some decals.  Big whoop.
Now take a 1971 Challenger, and bolt a big spoiler, 20" wheels, and some decals on it.  Blasphemy.

You have a $2000-$3000 rifle when original, the original owner could have sold it complete, and bought 2 or 3 fals to tactical out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyway, nice stick OP.  Do what you wish.  I may get banned but GFY on your idiot remarks.  When you can feed it 10K rounds then check back douchebag.  You are funny, your original post said you thought you made a mistake, now you shine shit up your ass to say how smart you were and smart ass off to those just trying to help.  Fu ck off
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#31]
What a shit show this turned out to be

OP, do you even paragraph?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#32]
What part of Colorado are you in? I'd like a chance to see that FN.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#33]
If any moderator sees this thread feel free to lock it as I'm sure that nothing serving a worthwhile pupose remains to be said. Flkblackrifle sorry you were so offended by the post I doubt I'll ever put 10,000 rounds through the gun, I would be afraid of how that would affect it's value. As for the rifle it will have nos handgaurds, stock and pistol grip placed on it and then all ya'll who worship the FN FAL feel free to place your bids. Then I can go buy a rifle for what I intend to use it for may even get a SCAR 17. Then everyone is happy all you FAL cultists will be happy since it will most likely sale to fellow true believer  and I'll be happy because I can afford a rifle that suits my purpose. I'm sorry if those statements offend but from this experience I have learned that for many the FAL is an obsession, one I don't understand and for them they can't understand how someone who owns a FAL could not be obsessed.  

Sonofhate36 Thanks for the question I assume you were wondering if I ever use paragraphs in my post and no I  don't. But if I may give you a tip, if your going to comment on issues of grammar or proper use of formatting it would be better to form complete sentences in your post. And I quote "OP do you even paragragh" Of course if I'm mistaken and "paragraph" is a new shooting stance please start a new thread as I won't be back here so we can all look at it and see if it can improve our shooting.

Lastly currently not in Co, with my job I travel quite a bit won't be back that way until after the first of the year then I'll be in the Colorado Springs area.

Thanks to all of you provided reasonable and helpful advise, for the others both here and on other forums who provided nothing more than inane comments or name calling I'm sure that those comments don't truly reflect the real you and if they do you might consider therapy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd be willing to swap...but man do I love my "shorty" https://www.instagram.com/p/BKt3yPuhu0fjx3rv-MAPf8FuJMkCi00i8Uj61k0/

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If any moderator sees this thread feel free to lock it as I'm sure that nothing serving a worthwhile pupose remains to be said. Flkblackrifle sorry you were so offended by the post I doubt I'll ever put 10,000 rounds through the gun, I would be afraid of how that would affect it's value. As for the rifle it will have nos handgaurds, stock and pistol grip placed on it and then all ya'll who worship the FN FAL feel free to place your bids. Then I can go buy a rifle for what I intend to use it for may even get a SCAR 17. Then everyone is happy all you FAL cultists will be happy since it will most likely sale to fellow true believer  and I'll be happy because I can afford a rifle that suits my purpose. I'm sorry if those statements offend but from this experience I have learned that for many the FAL is an obsession, one I don't understand and for them they can't understand how someone who owns a FAL could not be obsessed.  

Sonofhate36 Thanks for the question I assume you were wondering if I ever use paragraphs in my post and no I  don't. But if I may give you a tip, if your going to comment on issues of grammar or proper use of formatting it would be better to form complete sentences in your post. And I quote "OP do you even paragragh" Of course if I'm mistaken and "paragraph" is a new shooting stance please start a new thread as I won't be back here so we can all look at it and see if it can improve our shooting.

Lastly currently not in Co, with my job I travel quite a bit won't be back that way until after the first of the year then I'll be in the Colorado Springs area.

Thanks to all of you provided reasonable and helpful advise, for the others both here and on other forums who provided nothing more than inane comments or name calling I'm sure that those comments don't truly reflect the real you and if they do you might consider therapy.
View Quote
Iv read threw the thread....it isn't you, every group has thier "trigger" characters. ...this post is a great clean responce.  If you have every delta with anyone with asberges I'd use that knowledge when posting here....lol

I went threw almost what you did with fal files over at walthers.com over fixing a problem.. holy shit did I ruffle some feathers of thier little world.....so I moved on, but if anyone has the same issue it's forever out thier on the web.

Bottom line you got a very good score I'd suggest either selling as is or put right and resell for all the pennys.....and funny thing is nothing has been done to the rifle  that can't be undone, so it's golden.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I would  pay $2,500.00 for your fine riFAL.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I am going to come in on the other side of this.  I would not hesitate to shoot 3 gun.  Leave it like it is to take the bumps and chunks of 3 gun.  I would work on finding the proper furniture just to have it on hand.  You never know when you may get in a money bind, and that could be a nice little nest egg if you need it.  

Great rifle, use it and enjoy it.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, on the FALFiles sometimes we're jerks. Sometimes you can't make rhyme or reason as to why someone gets excoriated over what they've done to their FAL while another gets a pass.

Go shoot the rifle. FALs are tough and can take it. Myself, I'd replace tactical furniture with OEM furniture I liked best, but that's because it'll lighten up the rifle. If that furniture works for you keep it. No, you don't need me to tell you this. But whatever furniture you decide to go with, go shoot the rifle. FALs are one of the most pleasant shooting 308s on the face of the planet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top