Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2016 3:46:05 PM EDT
I ordered a receiver last Friday.

I have now ordered a front end assembly so I can stop thinking about what length barrel I want, as well as the mag release and bolt hold open assembly.

This will be my first FAL I have ever built. I will post here along the way with the progress of the build.

It will end up as a 11" FAL Para. Likely be built into a pistol first until the form 1 clears.

Hopefully some will find this interesting

More to come once things start getting to me. Stay tuned

Major parts progress

Receiver                         : Ordered received, only missing the CH and locking shoulder
Front end assembly 11" : Ordered Received
PARA Lower end           : will be ordered one day Ordered
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a stamp in progress for an SBR FAL as well, so I'll be following this eagerly to find out what not to do.  Hopefully you won't provide any cautionary warnings, though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't mind me asking who did you order through and how much was it? I've got a basket case century gun that I picked up cheap, and want to replace the crappy reciever.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking who did you order through and how much was it? I've got a basket case century gun that I picked up cheap, and want to replace the crappy reciever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with the receiver?  I may be interested in taking it off your hands if you're looking to recoup some money.  I do weird projects which can work with bad receivers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went with a DSA. They have always been prompt with me with any questions, and its an American company.

Ill also be using a majority of their parts for this build.

I am a little surprised I still haven't been hit for the charges as its been a week now. Figured I would have had it by now. But it really doesn't matter much as it will be awhile before I have a working gun.

I would like to get it soon to get a form 1 rolling and to look over the receiver to make sure everything looks good
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just a heads up, there is a para kit for sale on the FAL Files with a short gas setup right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just a heads up, there is a para kit for sale on the FAL Files with a short gas setup right now.
View Quote

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go take a look
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Card got hit for the receiver today. So that should mean its headed my way
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
As a side note, what optic should I throw on this beast when it becomes a thing
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint t1
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
ACOG with the DSA mount.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#11]
So it begins

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
No carry handle cut? For shame.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No carry handle cut? For shame.

View Quote

Not on a SBR build
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
11" of fury

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Good thing I don't have a heart condition. It's gorgeous.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]
That barrel looks great - Its going to be fun (and loud)

All part of the fun!

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#17]
My plan is to source the tools I need this week to finish the build.

I was planning on using both a barrel vice and also a receiver wrench. However the gas tube is braised on... Which leaves me with only a few inches of bare barrel to get a barrel vice on which isn't going to happen.

So I guess Ill just have to chuck the barrel in a vice on its flats since I don't have any barrel room to work with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget to tape or wire the handguard retainer to the gas block before installing the barrel, or you'll get to install it twice.

I've never forgotten the handguard retainer when barreling a FAL.  Nope, not once.  Nosirree.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't forget to tape or wire the handguard retainer to the gas block before installing the barrel, or you'll get to install it twice.

I've never forgotten the handguard retainer when barreling a FAL.  Nope, not once.  Nosirree.
View Quote

Ive seen this warning so much that if I forget now I deserve every bit of it

Hoping to finish off ordering the rest of the parts this week. Minus the locking shoulder. Im going to get some gauge pins to try and determine the correct locking shoulder. So that will be the last part ordered for this beast

Likely have this thing done by the end of the month
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

DSA makes a 2 piece retainer that is needed for a rail installation should he ever go that route...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with the 13" barrel.  I have a 10.5" 308 and it's obnoxious.  I thought  the 13" would be a little better than the 11" and have a little more dwell time with the short gas system.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

DSA makes a 2 piece retainer that is needed for a rail installation should he ever go that route...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of those but was never able to bring myself to use it.  Just felt like failure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#23]
All tools and parts have been ordered minus the locking shoulder.

I have headspace gauges coming from brownells. A receiver wrench coming from faltools and the rest of the fun stuff coming from DSA.

Bittersweet, as that was a chunk of change to drop on parts
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Very soon

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Ah, the joy of using a receiver wrench and barrel vice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cant use a barrel vice for this build unfortunately. I am pretty bummed about it as that's the way I wanted to do it to make sure this goes easily.

The gas tube is braised in, leaving only a few inches of bare barrel to work with .

So, I guess the plan is to chuck the barrel in a vice on its flats and do the best I can

See below

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking good so far.  Keep the pics coming!!

My non SBR  -  SBR;

Sorry for the clutter!!

Doc
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I cant use a barrel vice for this build unfortunately. I am pretty bummed about it as that's the way I wanted to do it to make sure this goes easily.

The gas tube is braised in, leaving only a few inches of bare barrel to work with .

So, I guess the plan is to chuck the barrel in a vice on its flats and do the best I can

See below

http://i.imgur.com/UpKsJS0.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See below

Wouldn't it be easier to remove the two pins holding the gas block on, clamp and install barrel, then re-install gas block?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be easier to remove the two pins holding the gas block on, clamp and install barrel, then re-install gas block?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See below

I believe them to be pressed in as well as the block. It has crossed my mind however. The pins wouldn't be an issue as much as the block itself depending on how tight it is.

Im just gunna see how it rolls with throwing it in a vice. Worst comes to worst I do have to find a way to press the pins and sight off then go about using a barrel vice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Pressing out the gas block pins is no big deal. The wrench flats near the chamber are very small for the amount of torque that needs to be applied, so a barrel vice is recommended.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pressing out the gas block pins is no big deal. The wrench flats near the chamber are very small for the amount of torque that needs to be applied, so a barrel vice is recommended.
View Quote

Ill give it a look tonight.

Im not so worried about the pins as much as I am the block itself.

DSA still hasn't shipped the rest of the parts so I suppose I do still have time to get a barrel vice here if I can get the gas block off without any damage
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#32]
That barrel looks a little heavier than normal.  Is that just my imagination, or is it more of a medium contour barrel?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That barrel looks a little heavier than normal.  Is that just my imagination, or is it more of a medium contour barrel?
View Quote

Not your imagination

Its pretty thick. Reminds me of the SOCOM profile AR barrels.

It tapers down right before the gas block.

Im still waiting on the stuff from DSA. My card hasn't even been hit yet. I was hoping to have this gal atleast assembled so I can order a locking shoulder to complete this build this week.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#34]
neat build! Sorry to hear your stuff is taking so long. I just ordered 2 different times from DSA over the past 2 weeks and got both w/in 3 days.

Look forward to seeing the finished deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

See below

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See below

I think that this vise would work. as long as you have 2" of barrel to work with.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#36]
With the parts still not being here I may actually give a good hard look at getting the gas block off this week and ordering a barrel vice from faltools(good price and he was super fast about getting the receiver wrench to me)

I do want to do this the right way if possible to minimize any damage when barreling the receiver
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#37]
FAL parts shipped
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#38]
One option is to clamp the receiver in a wrench and then place the wrench in a vise, then use a wrench to torque the barrel on.  If you have access to a milling machine, it may be possible to cut a custom wrench for the flats tight enough to tap on, which should alleviate any fear of rounding the flats.  It seems like the most appealing of the options at this point, inasmuch as you're not going to find a non-custom vise that will fit that barrel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One option is to clamp the receiver in a wrench and then place the wrench in a vise, then use a wrench to torque the barrel on.  If you have access to a milling machine, it may be possible to cut a custom wrench for the flats tight enough to tap on, which should alleviate any fear of rounding the flats.  It seems like the most appealing of the options at this point, inasmuch as you're not going to find a non-custom vise that will fit that barrel.
View Quote

given how easy it is to remove the gas block, that seems like a terrible waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:33:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

given how easy it is to remove the gas block, that seems like a terrible waste of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the barrel vise is a custom job, then you're going to need something fabricated either way.  At least the flat wrench lets you skip gas block removal.  

I might be biased due to having to deal with a DSA barrel where they introduced a burr between the gas block and the journal, making removal of the gas block an exercise in pain.  That said, DSA uses a special vise that engages the flats (see here and here), which is probably why they don't care that their short barrels make it hard to use a vise that clamps the rounds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If the barrel vise is a custom job, then you're going to need something fabricated either way.  At least the flat wrench lets you skip gas block removal.  

I might be biased due to having to deal with a DSA barrel where they introduced a burr between the gas block and the journal, making removal of the gas block an exercise in pain.  That said, DSA uses a special vise that engages the flats (see here and here), which is probably why they don't care that their short barrels make it hard to use a vise that clamps the rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy cheater bar! That's one cool apparatus.I wish it was in my garage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The parts are going to be here tomorrow.

Honestly I'm thinking about just chucking it in a vice. My work has some nice vices that are solidly mounted so I may just give that a shot
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Honestly I'm thinking about just chucking it in a vice. My work has some nice vices that are solidly mounted so I may just give that a shot
View Quote

Just make sure it has smooth jaws.  Chewed up flats make FAL lovers cry.

How do you plan to time the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm gunna chuck the barrel in a vice and use a receiver wrench and eye ball it

I may use a level on the receiver and then the sight tower once I think it's close
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I use a laser bore site, just a thought. They're relatively cheap these days too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Well guys wish me luck.

I went to look at the vices this morning. They are pretty smooth.

Those flats are a lot smaller when actually chucked up into a vice

Parts should be here in a few hours. Im excited .

It is going to suck doing the hard part today of building the rifle pistol and not being able to shoot it until I get a locking shoulder in though
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Everything arrived but the locking shoulder and the brace to build it into a pistol

I see why the para stocks are held in such high regards for a folder now. Locks up very tight with no play at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Brace even showed up today

Stay tuned
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well I'm gunna chuck the barrel in a vice and use a receiver wrench and eye ball it

I may use a level on the receiver and then the sight tower once I think it's close
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A level is what I used on my first build without issue.  The timing rods sold on the FAL Files might be better, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Alright I eye balled it. The level proved utterly useless.

The piston moves freely so it has to be damn close. I think it's right on.

It seems a .266 locking shoulder is the way to go from my gauges. I can get the go gauge to go home on .268 but it takes a good amount of force to close it and unlock it

Oh I can't free the damn screw that holds the para stock on for the life of me. I swear they torqued it to 1000 ft/lbs. I did remove the set screw. But it won't budge at all.

I'm almost done getting it built however
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top