Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2016 11:02:01 AM EDT
Im really considering chopping and converting my 21" FAL voyager.

I really enjoy the gun, but I feel I would enjoy it perhaps more if it was smaller.

Looks like its going to cost me around $500 or so for the convert and chop.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Chop just the barrel of adding a para stock?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chop just the barrel of adding a para stock?
View Quote

Im thinking of chopping the barrel and adding a para stock.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a DSA 21" Para (my Rhodesian Para "clone") and it's easily my favorite rifle. The aluminum lower and stock coupled with aluminum mags make for a very light and well-balanced 7.62 rifle. I need to get a bag for it, then I'll carry it with me to and from work. Short barrels are fine, but I don't feel like I'm missing out having the 21", which offers benefits of its own- more velocity, reduced muzzle blast, etc...
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a DSA 21" Para (my Rhodesian Para "clone") and it's easily my favorite rifle. The aluminum lower and stock coupled with aluminum mags make for a very light and well-balanced 7.62 rifle. I need to get a bag for it, then I'll carry it with me to and from work. Short barrels are fine, but I don't feel like I'm missing out having the 21", which offers benefits of its own- more velocity, reduced muzzle blast, etc...
View Quote

The para conversion is going to cost a bit more than I expected to do it right it seems.

180 for the barrel chop
180 to mill the receiver for a para stock(this I missed)
Around 400 for a lower conversion.

I think that just went past the worth it cost wise for me. At that point Im getting halfway there to a new FAL.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the para for the "cool factor"

If you want a para, sell the voyager and buy a used para.

Or even better keep the voyager and buy a para!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the para for the "cool factor"

If you want a para, sell the voyager and buy a used para.

Or even better keep the voyager and buy a para!
View Quote

At this point it maybe better to just buy a new one.

That's a lot of money just for a folding stock

I may do a barrel chop. Im gunna kick around the idea atleast, but with the money being a tid bit more than I expected it somewhat kills the idea of a PARA FAL conversion for now
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The para conversion is going to cost a bit more than I expected to do it right it seems.

180 for the barrel chop

I think that just went past the worth it cost wise for me. At that point Im getting halfway there to a new FAL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

180 for the barrel chop

That gives you an excuse for a new Para to compliment the Voyager!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

180 for the barrel chop

Kicking this idea around now. Something similar atleast

Id want to build it myself if I got this route as I never have built a FAL before. I figure buy the receiver, form 1 in, that in itself gives me 6-10 months of saving up for the rest of the parts

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Para FAL, go for it man. Chop the barrel to 18" and make it a Para
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking to buy an 18" Para in the next few months. Does anyone know of a dealer with one in stock? SA58CP18 number. Buds is out.

Not a WTB ad., mods.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Atlantic Firearms doesn't list any on their site, but I'd give them a call. If that fails, go straight through DSA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the lighter ACOGs, like the TA-33, are calibrated for 168 gr out of a 16" barrel at the normal AR height above the bore. Not sure how that all works out in a 17-18" FAL.

As for irons, the folding-butt, 21" barreled FALs came with four options. Standard 2-600m tangent sight with the knuckle cut away; a shorter 2-500m tangent sight compatible with the folder; the protected two-position 150/250m sight; or the fixed and protected 250m sight.

17.17" and 18.03" barreled rifles can be found with the fixed sight or the two-position sight. Not sure if the shorter tangent sight was ever used with them. I think the IMBEL fixed-butt rifles with the 17" barrels used the standard rear sight, but I'm not entirely sure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#14]

I love mine.  It's an 18" DSA factory built gun.  It took forever for them to build it, and it took a little breaking in to get it running right, but once I got it tuned up its a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
This was a retirement present from my COL when I left the unit.  I had DSA put the walnut forearm on it and adjust some things for me but after breaking in it shoots GREAT and used to go with me as a truck gun.  Probably going to replace the EoTech as it not as clear as it used to be with a Millet DMS.  .

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Delete
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This was a retirement present from my COL when I left the unit.  I had DSA put the walnut forearm on it and adjust some things for me but after breaking in it shoots GREAT and used to go with me as a truck gun.  Probably going to replace the EoTech as it not as clear as it used to be with a Millet DMS.  .

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/Toys/ArchsFNPARA.jpg
View Quote

holy shit.

fuck a plaque. I want a FAL now
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you chop the barrel, I suggest chopping it to a length for which suitable iron sights are available.  The Para sights were intended for a Para-length barrel, and are less than adequate for a full-length barrel.  IIRC, the Para sight is pretty crude in comparison to the FAL rifle sights, which are also relatively crude compared to the excellent rear sights on the M1/M1A.  In fairness, very few rifle iron sights come up to this level.

YMMV,  but I will NOT have a rifle that does not have useful iron sights.  In the  case of full-barreled FALs. the battle-sight zero is 250M.  This means at zero to 250 M, just point and shoot.  I don't know at what distance the Para sights are zeroed for a BSZ, but it certainly is less than 250M.  .    

Maybe not chop the barrel, and remove old one and install Para barrel.  Then sell old barrel, as long as it's a decent one.

I retrofitted some 700M sights to my much-modified DSA StG 58A, and while not yet shot at 700M, the printing on the 200M target tells me they are GTG at 700M.  It's nice to be able to reach out and touch someone, particularly at ranges where they cannot usually be expected to reply.

While it is possible to sight-in any optic to a given range, if the optic has reticular hold overs for your cartridge, they will become increasingly low as the range increases if your barrel does not allow the bullet to develop the velocity for which the optic (and thus its' reticular range marks) was intended.  So forget buying an ACOG for your Para, and having work out to its' full range.

I concur in the weight-saving advantages of an aluminum lower.  Done right, as DSA has done, they won't wear out.  The weight savings are enough to offset the addition of a quality optic and rings.

The aluminum mags are also very worthwhile.  I have a number of them, all with new springs and painted with Brownell's AlumaHyde II.  Hard to get nowadays at reasonable prices.  I think I paid $5 each for a ten-pack of new Al mags from DSA long ago.  Steel mags at that time were about $2, IIRC.   I never use them,  I have plenty of refurbed steel mags.

One of the more worthwhile mods I made to my FAL was a Falcon Arms Trigger Pull Reduction kit:http://www.falconarms.com/fn-fal/fn-fal-metric/fn-fal-metric-trigger-pull-reduction-kit-new.html..  This is all you need to finally get a decent trigger on your FAL, as long as the rest of your trigger group components are GTG.  They have all sorts of kits based around the magic springs.  If you have very good HTS components, as I did with the DSA StG58A, the simple kit is all you need. This kit transforms the usually crappy/heavy FAL trigger into something quite decent.  I strongly recommend it.  If your HTS components are junk, as are found in a lot of FALs, then go for  a more expansive kit.
View Quote

Very wise words here!

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
To update this thread.

I have left my 21'' alone. Ill keep it as is.

That said.

I literally just ordered a Type 1 receiver with plans to SBR it to get my para fix.

Ill likely start a new thread in the coming months as I acquire parts to build it myself.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my FALs but they are long.  My 18" Para is my favorite to shoot.

Its nothing special - just a Para kit I picked up in the 90s on an Imbel Receiver.  Its not a light gun even though its shorter than the std FAL.

I would say go for the PARA conversion or just try to find or make another PARA gun
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know what this Voyager FAL you speak of is. However, back in the 1980's when they first released the FN FAL (marked on the receiver as FN LAR back then), they released the full stock model 50.00 with 21" barrel first. I bought one of these. After I shot it for the first time the long flash hider broke in half. That 21" barrel with that long, skinny flash hider just seemed too long for me. Later they released the paratrooper model 50.63 with 18" barrel, short flash hider, and folding stock. I purchased one of these. I liked this model a lot. The 18" barrel was more manageable and the folding stock was solid. If I was to get another one, I would get the 50.63 Paratrooper model because it's a lot easier to handle and more ergonomic. Magazines don't seem to be as plentiful as they used to be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know what this Voyager FAL you speak of is. However, back in the 1980's when they first released the FN FAL (marked on the receiver as FN LAR back then), they released the full stock model 50.00 with 21" barrel first. I bought one of these. After I shot it for the first time the long flash hider broke in half. That 21" barrel with that long, skinny flash hider just seemed too long for me. Later they released the paratrooper model 50.63 with 18" barrel, short flash hider, and folding stock. I purchased one of these. I liked this model a lot. The 18" barrel was more manageable and the folding stock was solid. If I was to get another one, I would get the 50.63 Paratrooper model because it's a lot easier to handle and more ergonomic. Magazines don't seem to be as plentiful as they used to be.
View Quote

The Voyager is DSA's "budget" FAL line. Cast receivers, used to come without the carry handle cut, Holland rear sight. FAL's were imported in the '70's and not all were marked "LAR". The long Browning flash hider is very susceptible to gas cutting and then splitting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My PARA is far heavier than my L1A1. it's a Brazilian steel lower assembly from Sarco years back. other than that it's my favorite rifle!I'd like to find a lighter PARA stock assembly.....
View Quote

Contact DSA about getting a stripped aluminum Para lower. I don't see just the lower listed on their site. I have their aluminum lowers on both my Para and my Portuguese clone. They really help to improve the balance, not to mention the weight savings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top