Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2016 1:50:26 PM EDT
Guy wants to trade this for one of my ARs (300 BO home build; total of $483 in it). He said he isn't sure whether it's a Rhodesian copy or an imbel. I am new to FALs but like the idea of a 308 semi.

Second Q - how tough and expensive would it be to replace the stock and grip?

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a thumbhole stock abomination from either during the AW ban, or one of the remaining retarded ban states.  Looks like a standard lower, so should replace easily, unless lots of cuts and welds were made to attach that monstrosity and make it impossible to convert back, in which case you'd need a replacement lower.

From what I can read, it's a real Imbel upper receiver, so of pretty good quality.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a thumbhole stock abomination from either during the AW ban, or one of the remaining retarded ban states.  Looks like a standard lower, so should replace easily, unless lots of cuts and welds were made to attach that monstrosity and make it impossible to convert back, in which case you'd need a replacement lower.

From what I can read, it's a real Imbel upper receiver, so of pretty good quality.
View Quote

Thanks. More Pics added.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks to me like it's one of those Century Imbel guns.  ?Might be inch pattern- what do the mags look like?

It's a good trade for you.

After you get it please unfuck that butthole stock.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a Century Imbel to me.  Good trade for you.  Jump on that deal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Century Commonwealth/Inch build built during the AWB. The IMBEL receiver might be metric, but it looks like the notch for the front magazine tab is a shelf rather than a divot, so probably Inch mags. To convert it to a regular stock and pistol grip configuration, you will need a new trigger plunger, trigger return spring, and a pistol grip stud, in addition to the stock and pistol grip. Mark at Arizona Response Systems does this conversion.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I would jump all over it.

It was hard to build a FAL for less than $500 even back in the day when the stuff was cheap.

Face it FAL parts are drying up yet AR parts are the cheapest that they have ever been
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
As everyone said, make the trade if you like the rifle. Changing out the stock is easy. I made a new steel bushing and made a driver to install it so it looks exactly like the original.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
parts are worrth more than gun!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The Fal is worth twice your AR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Fal is worth twice your AR.
View Quote

Yup.
If you make the trade PM me and I'll donate a bushing to your restoration.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:45:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The rifle is a Century R1A1 from the early-mid 1990's. Most of these were built using Australian L1A1 parts on IMBEL or Argentina made receivers, both are good quality receivers. This one is a IMBEL receiver. The receiver looks like it has the inch magazine cut. If I is a inch cut, the receiver alone is worth more the your AR.  Other then the terrible Bell & Carlson thumb hole stock,  they were very good rifles. The only problem I have seen with them were barrels not timed right. With the FAL type riles this is an easy fix.  It can be restored to original configuration with a little work. The hardest part is having the barrel rethreaded for the flash hider. Beware the FAL rifles are an addiction. You can't stop at just one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
That receiver alone is worth $450
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top