Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 12:59:33 PM EDT
If you were as pumped for the Bushmaster ACR release as much as I was, you had some money set aside for that awesome $1,600 price tag.  When it was released at almost twice that, I elected to use the funds to buy a FAL.

I got a DSA receiver and front end, an Ergo grip and some Falcon parts like their trigger pull reduction kit.  Over the years, I've sniped a few good sales, like a VLTOR FAL handguard and DSA railed topcover for it.  Then I was part of the disastrous FAL Files group buy on the ACR stock adapter, which eventually panned out through another guy.

It's kind of neat, and a one of a kind, to the extent that if you look hard enough, you could build another.  I'm sentimentally attracted to it, since it's the first FAL that I built.  I sold my DSA STG58 to fund a Sig MCX purchase, and while I took out my modern FAL two weeks ago to shoot, it's just not something that I'm in love with.  I think that I'd really like an AR-10, like one of LaRue's offerings.

So I've got this thing, but I have no clue what the market is like for modernized FALs.  It seems like there's a dwindling niche for period-correct builds, but I've got the exact opposite.  I know that I couldn't do a direct trade for what I want, but is there any desire at all for a modern FAL?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO you would be better returning it to as close to a 'period build' as possible and peddling the pimp parts separately.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, forgot to say that it's a DSA front end.  I think that the only surplus parts on it are the bolt, bolt carrier, and takedown lever.  LOL.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, since this thread is worthless without pics:

And yes, I understand that the sights are "Yo dawg, I heard you like sights, so...", but I had the Hampton A2 lower first.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, since this thread is worthless without pics:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/maelstrom_tempest/IMG_1468_zpsrakxtflo.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/maelstrom_tempest/IMG_1467_zpszgexfyej.jpg

And yes, I understand that the sights are "Yo dawg, I heard you like sights, so...", but I had the Hampton A2 lower first.  
View Quote

That ACR stock is sexy on there!!

It's a shame that the most I see from the ACR these days, is the stock adapted to use on other firearms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  It's comfortable, too.  It's just that the FAL isn't exactly the long-range platform that I'd like it to be.  If I were expecting a slow rampage of zombie bears, I'd be perfectly happy with it.  But it's heavy and a little too unrefined for me to use as a first line of defense against critters with two legs, or even be my first choice if I were hunting critters with four.  I think that's why I'd like an AR-10.

I've held and fiddled with a few ACRs.  If I could find one at current AR prices, I'd be there.  As it stands, the stock was the best thing to come out of its development.  This adapter is well made, but unfortunately, I was one of the first to receive and install mine.  Turns out that Bushmaster *slightly* changed the size of the roll pin for the stock hinge between the model that the machinist used and my stock.  I had to resort to a BFH, since the pin was already stuck in there and I couldn't ream it out like suggested.  Still works though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
parts are probably worth more than the rifle old forged ds receiver will get more than a new one.  cool looking fal I'd definitely be in the market for  that one or the butt assembly
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one all tricked out...full railed, aftermarket stock and grip with 14 magazines and tools, was still only $1400. You'll make out better parting it out. It's kinda like customized 1911's, unless Jesus or one if the disciples built it, it's hard to get your money back out of it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Put it for sale at the price you want and see how it goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top