Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2016 8:55:05 PM EDT
First off this rifle functioned flawlessly.  I fired 100rds of cheap PMC 308 Ball.  The only malfunction was caused by a casing stovepiping on the backpack I was using as a rest for shooting at distance. My goal today was to break the rifle and insure there were no factory defects prior to my smith cutting the barrel to 18".  The one issue I did notice with this rifle is that even with the gas regulator completely open shells are still ejected about 10'.  Considering this I doubt I will have the port opened when I have the barrel cut.  As for accuracy I was also impressed. 3 shot groups while zeroing were sub 1.5" at 100yards. After zeroing and regulating the gas port I moved to 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, and 500.  Hits on a 12" steel plate were easily accomplished. Some of that no doubt is because of the Vortex Razor 1-6 I have mounted on this rifle: an excellent combination.  Lastly I am impressed with how soft shooting this rifle is.   All and all my introduction to FAL's was a trouble free and pleasant experience.
" />
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That ejection seems weak, but I'd give it another 200 rounds or so to break in before I got worried. Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish it was a little weaker.  Even with the gas port wide open its still chucking them 10' while shooting prone!  As for the nice little pile in the picture; that's the result of gathering empties.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I went shooting at a new indoor range , near closing time a few young guys were remarking on how much of a cannon my rifle was ( 15" barrel with perm welded brake makes quite a fireball )...asked if they would like to put some down range...they were quite aprhensive  but all 3 remarked how soft it was to shoot compared to noise and dramatic fireball.  Also got to teach some basic firearm saftey.. ( "NEVER EVER HAVE YOUR FINGER ON THAT TRIGGER TILL YOUR ON TARGET AND READY TO PULL!!!!)   besides that thewere very polite and willing to learn .   Of the 4 I was with and the 3 I let shoot the Fal I know of one that's considering adding one to his collection, mission accomplished.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish it was a little weaker.  Even with the gas port wide open its still chucking them 10' while shooting prone!  As for the nice little pile in the picture; that's the result of gathering empties.
View Quote

Ah, I misinterpreted your desire. That's some pretty positive ejection. Call up DSA and see what they say.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ah, I misinterpreted your desire. That's some pretty positive ejection. Call up DSA and see what they say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is ran completely open and launches them into orbit as well. I think its over gassed

21" voyager DSA

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks about normal.

You could dial back the gas regulator a bit, but I would not mess with it
as long as it runs 100%....

FALs are the sexy !!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks about normal.

You could dial back the gas regulator a bit, but I would not mess with it
as long as it runs 100%....

FALs are the sexy !!
View Quote

That's what both the OP and myself are stating. We're rolling with the regulators fully open and still getting brass going to the moon
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh sorry I missed that part ...

I wonder if the recoil springs DSA uses are stout enough?
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh sorry I missed that part ...

I wonder if the recoil springs DSA uses are stout enough?
View Quote

Im wondering the same!

I don't shoot my FAL a lot and it took some work to get going.

I shot 160 rounds or so over the weekend and had two FTFs that were almost as if the spring had just a touch more umph it would have chambered.

All I had to do to fix the two FTF was pull the charging handle slightly back and let it go and it chambered the FTFs.

I literally thought about the spring and then checked to see if Wolff made a spring later that day. Nope.

I threw some lube down into the spring tube, I guess you could call it, to see if that would help when I cleaned it last.

Any other sources on springs? I mean that's a cheap thing to try.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Used metric recoil springs usually have plenty of life in them. All of my FAL's (except the Para) use them. In operation, the springs are not compressed much at all given their overall lengths, so they last a long while. Apex Gun Parts, Numrich, Ernst Armory all have recoil springs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What rings did you use with the vortex?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Another 160 flawless rounds through mine. Wolf ammo

After shooting a AR10 I am not longer going to bitch about mine being overgassed.

That AR10 was a puncher compared to shooting the FAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top