Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2016 12:06:10 AM EDT
UPDATE: I ended up fo'ing on the 16" if it turns into me needing more barrel then ill rethink that decision at a later date.

What are the must haves, do's and don't's of owning a FAL?

Pic added for composure.

</a>" />

I am looking for a new MBR, I love the FAL and its sort of a grail gun for me. The barrel lengths are troublesome for me, after looking at the Voyager and deciding thats what i want i am having a hard time deciding between the 16-18-21 inch barrels. The looks of the 16 inch appeal to me the best for the compactness but will i lose a lot of velocity losing that much barrel?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I went withthe 18. It is balanced really well. 16" 308's are really loud. Funny how that 2" make a difference
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Im 5'6 and went with a 21 full rifle length.

For my uses Im happy with it. Its a big gun that turns into a agile contender when you shoot it. You don't notice the weight or length like I would have imagined.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had a 16in fal, but after my saiga 308 16in Im not to impressed with the 16.  I have a 21 and a 18 fal.   I like the 18.  18s are harder to find right now
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposedly the velocity loss in .308 doesn't have any huge effect on accuracy if that's what you mean.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For my uses Im happy with it. Its a big gun that turns into a agile contender when you shoot it. You don't notice the weight or length like I would have imagined.

https://youtu.be/w094MTFZs94
View Quote

Good running and gunning. I would like to mount my .308 silencer on it and feel like at 21 inches with 6 inches of can it would be 3 days long.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good running and gunning. I would like to mount my .308 silencer on it and feel like at 21 inches with 6 inches of can it would be 3 days long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah 21" plus a can is likely going to be unwieldy. Id go 16-18 for a suppressed FAL

To me the FAL is a unsuppressed type gun, but to each their own

I also don't have a 308 can..... Maybe one day.

FAL honestly is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I just like that damn gun and its big ass rounds
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 21" FALs and used to have an 18" FAL.  It was surprising how little impact the longer barrel has on handling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a pair of 21"

I am thinking of converting one of them to an 18 or 16 since I only shoot 7.62x51 and that gets almost a full powder burn out of an 18"
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel like I'm waffling. I can buy a 308 pattern AR for just as much. talk me into this FAL.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I feel like I'm waffling. I can buy a 308 pattern AR for just as much. talk me into this FAL.
View Quote

Once you handle a FAL, it's impossible to put down. It just FEELS better and more balanced. Also, more "rough-field capable" than an AR pattern .308 rifle. Have several of both, prefer my FAL for SHTF/ work, and AR-style for precision.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Once you handle a FAL, it's impossible to put down. It just FEELS better and more balanced. Also, more "rough-field capable" than an AR pattern .308 rifle. Have several of both, prefer my FAL for SHTF/ work, and AR-style for precision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting a different grip but so far i love it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Supposedly the velocity loss in .308 doesn't have any huge effect on accuracy if that's what you mean.
View Quote

This is true. If the sighting system is good and the ammo is matched to the gun....
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAW grip is much more comfortable IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
90+ countries cant be wrong. The FAL is the right arm of the free world. It was in the running to replace the Garand but they lied and said Garand tooling and parts could be used for the M14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top