Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 6:27:28 PM EDT
So I have been wanting to add an FAL to my collection for some time now. I sold my AR-15 awhile ago and have been looking for a replacement. Until recently I was planning on buying a KAC SR-15 to use as my main go-to rifle/beater/shtf/weekend plinker.

However, I ran across some information about the DSA FALs that reminded me why I always wanted one. So I am thinking about picking one up and using the extra $1000 Ill be saving from the KAC to buying the godly expensive ammo and some extra mags.

Was hoping that I can get some insight from you guys on what the best config to get is. From my limited research if I want to focus on reliability then the 18" is the best way to go. Is that correct?

My only concern with the FAL is the weight and the over powered round it packs.

Anyone have any general pointers for a new FAL?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 21'' SPR.  It wears a DSA scope mount and DSA 4-rail handguard along with a big scope and bipod.  
Mine is HEAVY and is strictly a bench gun.  If you expect to lug a FAL around and shoot from the shoulder do not expect to use anything other than the plastic furniture and iron sights or it will be much heavier than your AR. A FAL is a reliable hard hitting rifle no matter the barrel length but compared to modern ''assault'' type rifles it is big and heavy and considered a ''battle rifle''.  In the modern world it makes more sense to me in a SPR, sniper rifle type role and with the correct care and work it can be a reliable and accurate semi-auto SPR.
If you want a shoulder fire weapon I think you would be better off with an AR that is smaller and lighter, but that is just my opinion. If you happen to be 6' 6'' 300 pounds and built like a Greek God then pay no attention to what I said.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
18" is generally considered an ideal length, standard gas system (not the shorty) is preferred. Excellent rifle for a 1-4x or 1-6x scope (I like the ARMS mount for weight and size, but the DSA mount is bombproof). Dial in your gas, and it's reliable. slimmer dimensions make it more comfortable to carry and shoot than many other full-power rifles. Oh, and OVERPOWERED???? the 308Win/ 7.62x51mm is an excellent all-around cartridge. With the above setup, it is LETHAL out to 600 yards. Not "hit the paper", but rather "kill the deer". I have two... one is the above setup launching 175gr BTHP, the other is a 16" carbine loaded with Mk. 319 and an OEG on top. Slightly shorter and close to the same weight as an AR carbine with extended stock. May not be a "cool-guy" gun anymore, but I trust it a helluva lot more than my ARs when bad things happen.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies! The weight was one concern of mine.  I am 6"6" but lugging the FAL around for more than the 30 minutes of trigger time I had on it a few years ago seems a bit daunting. But I figured with a solid sling set up I can get use to carrying it out in the desert for long periods.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
18" is generally considered an ideal length, standard gas system (not the shorty) is preferred. Excellent rifle for a 1-4x or 1-6x scope (I like the ARMS mount for weight and size, but the DSA mount is bombproof). Dial in your gas, and it's reliable. slimmer dimensions make it more comfortable to carry and shoot than many other full-power rifles. Oh, and OVERPOWERED???? the 308Win/ 7.62x51mm is an excellent all-around cartridge. With the above setup, it is LETHAL out to 600 yards. Not "hit the paper", but rather "kill the deer". I have two... one is the above setup launching 175gr BTHP, the other is a 16" carbine loaded with Mk. 319 and an OEG on top. Slightly shorter and close to the same weight as an AR carbine with extended stock. May not be a "cool-guy" gun anymore, but I trust it a helluva lot more than my ARs when bad things happen.
View Quote

Since I will be using it for shits and giggles shooting 99% of the time I like the idea of the .308 round and just over-all robust feel of the FALs. When I picked one up for the first time I felt a real rifle in my hands. I love the AR-15 but I also love the feel of that heavy steel battle rifle.

How do the 18" FALs maneuver? Not to get all COD here but if shit did go down and I needed to use the rifle in a urban setting how do you guys think it would handle? Besides blowing out my ear drums from firing it indoors.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill vote for the 16". Balances and handles exceptionally well, especially during run and guns. Seems to shed its weight when you get moving with it. I set my gas on 5 and run 147gr ball with zero issues, ever. Aimpoint micro gives a low cheek weld and keeps the weight down. Mine comes in at 9.3 lbs with sling, micro and mag.

I love this gun:
" />
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies! The weight was one concern of mine.  I am 6"6" but lugging the FAL around for more than the 30 minutes of trigger time I had on it a few years ago seems a bit daunting. But I figured with a solid sling set up I can get use to carrying it out in the desert for long periods.

Since I will be using it for shits and giggles shooting 99% of the time I like the idea of the .308 round and just over-all robust feel of the FALs. When I picked one up for the first time I felt a real rifle in my hands. I love the AR-15 but I also love the feel of that heavy steel battle rifle.

How do the 18" FALs maneuver? Not to get all COD here but if shit did go down and I needed to use the rifle in a urban setting how do you guys think it would handle? Besides blowing out my ear drums from firing it indoors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

18" handles well, better than you think. With a flash supressor (shorty stoll), mine isn't that bad on noise from behind the gun. Softer recoil than you'd expect, so a brake isn't really needed. 16" is just plain FAST, every bit as fast as an AR carbine.  18" is pretty easy to handle in cq.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
So for reliability is there a big difference between 16" and 18"?

Right now I am planning on getting a 18" SA58 with a fixed stock and full length gas system. Would that give me the most reliable set-up while giving good maneuverability?

The para stock seems that it is uncomfortable as hell to shoot. And from what I am reading it is a bit heavier.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So for reliability is there a big difference between 16" and 18"?

Right now I am planning on getting a 18" SA58 with a fixed stock and full length gas system. Would that give me the most reliable set-up while giving good maneuverability?

The para stock seems that it is uncomfortable as hell to shoot. And from what I am reading it is a bit heavier.

View Quote

Reliability? Nope, just open up or close down the gas system. One of the beautiful things about the gun. Much less tèmpermental than my 7.62 ARs. It really comes down to a few fps, and that's about it. The FAL is a war machine, pure and simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top