Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2015 6:20:24 PM EDT
Just got this parts kit for $385, only need a few small parts to complete it.  Hoping to get this one built by early next year (I'll be ordering a Coonan Type 3 to go with it).  I think I'm going to paint and then distress the upper to match the rest of the kit to give it a uniformly well worn look.  I may repaint the top cover and do the same so it will match, since it is painted grey right now.  It won't quite be the sub-$700 build I was going for, but it will be close.  Can't wait to get it done.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Battle field pick up condition fals are sweet
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That top cover for the stripper clips has L1A1 style retaining tabs at the bottom rear.   A metric type 1 won't have cuts for that.  I think you'll have to find another top cover or break the tabs off.  Even then there will be nothing to keep the top cover from walking forward in the slot.  

I would sell the stripper strip top cover and get a regular one.   You should be money ahead in a trade/sale/buy.

Alternatively if you skipped the Coonan receiver and picked up an inch cut Imbel you may find an inch cut type 3 receiver.  Not all imbels have all the inch cuts so you need to look at them.  Different inch cuts you may find on the type 3 imbels;  magazine cut for inch mags, folding charging handle cut, and the corresponding cuts for that tabbed top cover.  Not all the "inch cut' imbels have all of those cuts.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That top cover for the stripper clips has L1A1 style retaining tabs at the bottom rear.   A metric type 1 won't have cuts for that.  I think you'll have to find another top cover or break the tabs off.  Even then there will be nothing to keep the top cover from walking forward in the slot.  

I would sell the stripper strip top cover and get a regular one.   You should be money ahead in a trade/sale/buy.

Alternatively if you skipped the Coonan receiver and picked up an inch cut Imbel you may find an inch cut type 3 receiver.  Not all imbels have all the inch cuts so you need to look at them.  Different inch cuts you may find on the type 3 imbels;  magazine cut for inch mags, folding charging handle cut, and the corresponding cuts for that tabbed top cover.  Not all the "inch cut' imbels have all of those cuts.
View Quote

I am well aware of the need for tab cuts. I intend to see if Coonan will do them, since they know how, seeing as how they do inch receivers. I've thought about the IMBELs, but they are also cut for the folding charging handle, which I don't want to use, and they cost a lot more. If it comes down to it, I'll do the tab cuts myself. On my current rifle I ground down the tabs and it looks ugly. The groove on the Coonans for the top cover does not extend all the way to the ejection port, which keeps it from sliding forward to any significant degree.

I do have standard top covers, but charger loading is a must for California. It's way easier than trying to mess with a bullet button to change mags.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, makes perfect sense now.  

I'd have to look but I think you could also do the cuts in a small drill press.  I think you have a straight shot to where the tab cuts are to come from the top.  Nibble it away with a small end mill in a drill press.  Clean up with a hand file.  I think the drill press would be easier than Dr. Dremel.  I wouldn't look to mill from the side as most drill presses aren't made for a side load.  

<- Not a machinist but a drill press and dremel operator.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]

If there is another one of those kits somewhere I'd love to know about it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a virgin Coonan type 3 and a Bridgeport Mill. I have no plans to use the Coonan.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a virgin Coonan type 3 and a Bridgeport Mill. I have no plans to use the Coonan.
View Quote

How much would you want for it with tab cuts?  I wasn't planning on ordering anything until January since I have some other financial priorities right now, but I'd certainly be interested, especially since I don't plan on getting a custom serial number (kit is non-matching) or other custom markings.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much would you want for it with tab cuts?  I wasn't planning on ordering anything until January since I have some other financial priorities right now, but I'd certainly be interested, especially since I don't plan on getting a custom serial number (kit is non-matching) or other custom markings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I M sent

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Bigstick61:

Are you going to torque the barrel or have it done? What small parts do you need? What is the condition of the bore in your barrel?

Is the gas plug in the picture above an inch pattern?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If there is another one of those kits somewhere I'd love to know about it.
View Quote
There is one in my parts box, but it doesn't have a muzzle device.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bigstick61:

Are you going to torque the barrel or have it done? What small parts do you need? What is the condition of the bore in your barrel?

Is the gas plug in the picture above an inch pattern?

View Quote

Now that I look up what they look like, it may well be one.  I just assumed it was an IMBEL plug.  Is there a compatibility issue?  At the very least, it seems to fit.

As for the small parts, I need three tang/rear swivel screws, a used looking rear swivel assembly, a locking shoulder (don't know what size yet, obviously), and a rifle grenade retaining spring.  I also want to swap out the bipod cut handguards for non-bipod cut in similar condition.  I'm considering trying to get an inch selector modified for use with metric rifles; I don't like the fit of the DSA ones (I got one to try it out; it grinds the metal on every lower I have).  I also am considering installing a flush QD swivel cup on the left rear side of the handguards (probably IWC) and another (perhaps Noveske) on the left front of the buttstock to allow for use of a 2-point tactical sling.

The lands and grooves in the bore look fairly sharp, and in general the bore is rather shiny but not pristine (you can notice some really fine scratches like from a brush or something if you look closely enough).  There is a small pit in one of the lands or grooves somewhere in the first few inches of the bore from the muzzle, but I don't see anything else like that.  

I've considered sending it to Moses to get cut down to 436mm (~17.17").  I've also considered having him turn down the front sight post, open up the rear sight aperture, tighten it down (it's a bit loose), and do a trigger job.  The rest I want to do myself, but I'll need to borrow tools.  I'm trying to spend as little as I can on the build without sacrificing anything important or highly useful.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Inch pattern gas plugs will not interchange with metric pattern plugs. You will need a metric plug if you want the semi auto function to work.

The only small parts on your list that  I have is locking shoulders.

I was thinking that if you bought receiver that I could barrel and head space it one of my IMBEL barrels and bolt/carrier groups and you could send me yours as trade since your kit isn't matching. But if you are going to barrel it yourself there is no need for a trade.

BTW, I was wrong about what I paid. It was 285 shipped.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Inch pattern gas plugs will not interchange with metric pattern plugs. You will need a metric plug if you want the semi auto function to work.

I was thinking that if you bought receiver that I could barrel and head space it one of my IMBEL barrels and bolt/carrier groups and you could send me yours as trade since your kit isn't matching. But if you are going to barrel it yourself there is no need for a trade.

View Quote

Moments after I posted I recalled that I had read something about the gas port being located differently on SLR barrels (thus requiring different gas blocks, and obviously, different gas plugs as well).  

I might be interested in the trade offer if I can't find tools to borrow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Moments after I posted I recalled that I had read something about the gas port being located differently on SLR barrels (thus requiring different gas blocks, and obviously, different gas plugs as well).  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of the things that you mentioned, the only one outside of my abilities/skills is a trigger job.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of the things that you mentioned, the only one outside of my abilities/skills is a trigger job.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will certainly keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]
nice!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
nice!
View Quote

Sadly the barrel (with gas block and front sights attached; it had been cut down since the picture was taken to 17.2"), the receiver I bought for assembly, the rear sight assembly, a locking shoulder I acquired, handguard retainer, the bolt, the bolt carrier, and the top cover were all stolen in the mail.  I just replaced the top cover with one of the same type and colour (but in a bit better condition).  I also replaced the barrel with an FN-made StG-58 barrel that had been cut down to about 17".  Came with the handguard retainer and gas block as well, but no front sight assembly, plus parts I already have (but some are in nicer shape than the ones from the kit above).  I also have a spare rear sight assembly, but the aperture is being used on a para tangent base on another lower.  I still need to get another receiver, a locking shoulder, bolt, bolt carrier, and front sight assembly.  I intend to install QD swivel cups on the handguard and buttstock and use BFG QD swivels (using the coupon I got through their AR15.com email deals).  I have a VCAS ready to go for this rifle once it's done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top