Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2015 10:05:53 PM EDT
I bought an 18" barrel from DSA and their Stoll style flash hider. The flash hider only screws onto the barrel about one revolution before the back of it hits front sling swivel band on the barrel.

The way I see it I have 3 options: machine the band on the barrel, cut some of the back off of the flash hider or find some sort of adapter that extends the length of the barrel. I'm needing about 5/8" to make it thread all the way.

What would you guys do to make this work?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I would chop the flash hider.  Modify the cheapest part rule comes in effect

The Stoll FH were on 21" barrels and they were still big
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would chop the flash hider.  Modify the cheapest part rule comes in effect

The Stoll FH were on 21" barrels and they were still big
View Quote

Thats kind of what I thought. I wasn't sure if there were any extension adapters, that would be the easiest thing to do. Google isn't finding me any though. I've seen pictures on here of what appeared to be an 18" bbl FAL that had the "Stoll" style break on it. It would be interesting to know what that guy did.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, it didn't fit my 18" either.  I got one of those "shorty" Stolls".  I believe Arizona Response has them.  Otherwise, I think you would have to shorten that FH or find a longer barrel.  Also, you might try an 18" NBC (non bipod cut) to give you that extra threading room for the same length.  But hey, there's lots of FH options out there that look cool and are functional.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yup, it didn't fit my 18" either.  I got one of those "shorty" Stolls".  I believe Arizona Response has them.  Otherwise, I think you would have to shorten that FH or find a longer barrel.  Also, you might try an 18" NBC (non bipod cut) to give you that extra threading room for the same length.  But hey, there's lots of FH options out there that look cool and are functional.
View Quote

I'm being pretty picky here, I want an 18" bbl, the full size stoll hider and a bipod haha. So looks like I'll be modifying the FH. I have access to a lathe and I'm guessing the threading in the prongs of the FH will make it easy to screw a bolt in and chuck it right up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you'll find that the general consensus is that the bipod is useless if you want decent accuracy since it's mounted on the barrel.  But it looks badass in pics!!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think you'll find that the general consensus is that the bipod is useless if you want decent accuracy since it's mounted on the barrel.  But it looks badass in pics!!  
View Quote

I suppose you have a point. Does it loosely fit to the barrel? The front sling swivel probably doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 3:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
i had a neutered STG 58 barrel that was a take off from a century build. it was like new except for the threads being gone. i used it on a what if build. By that I mean what would a STG58 Para look like if they had made one.

I want a full size Stoll flash hider with the shortest barrel possible. So it would tighten against the band. I think it worked out to a little over 18 1/2 inches.

I wonded if someone could make an insert for you and tread it ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The threads in the prongs are for the blank firing device. It is also long for the grenade launcher to fit and work correctly

With lathe access I would cut down the flash finder just after one of the ribs

or as said before you could go with the shortened version
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Bore out the flasher in the rear just enough for it to sleeve over the swivel band on the barrel.
I have done this a few times with excellent results.

If you know someone with a lathe it's quick and easy.

I'd only charge $10 max for that work and that's just a minimum

If the Stoll is too long after boring it to fit over swivel band turn off just enough to fit and that way you get to keep most of the length of the Stoll.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bore out the flasher in the rear just enough for it to sleeve over the swivel band on the barrel.
I have done this a few times with excellent results.

If you know someone with a lathe it's quick and easy.

I'd only charge $10 max for that work and that's just a minimum

If the Stoll is too long after boring it to fit over swivel band turn off just enough to fit and that way you get to keep most of the length of the Stoll.
View Quote

I like your thinking, I was just going to turn it down. I know someone with a lathe and will give that a try. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top