Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2015 11:23:11 AM EDT
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514030001

In the late 80's, my Dad had a Belgian FAL, it may have been a 50.00, I seem to remember it had a fixed solid stock. I vaguely remember seeing it and watching him shoot it. He sold it for a nauseating low price of something like $800 to a guy in Columbus, OH. Since then I purchased a DSA STG-58 in 2004, love it. However, since then I have thirsted for the true Belgian FAL for my collection. I almost rounded out my collection with a SCAR-17 until I saw the rifle in the link above. I know there are a lot of different variants but the one I have always been interested in is the 50.63. I even have some of the aluminum magazines that went with the para models. I was hoping you guys would take a look at the rifle in the link and let me know if you think this is the real deal. It's a ton of money but so is the SCAR17. I have to admit I'm a little torn between a 50.63 and a 50.64 but I keep thinking to myself "if I'm going folding stock I should go short". I don't know if ballistics even matter when you look at the allure of the 50.63.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
looks legit to me.  the importer, the handguards and the stock tell me that its real.   i would buy it if that was what i was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the scar myself. Although this FAL is more of a collectors item and significant to you. Tough choice. There will be Scars around for a while. May not have this chance again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks legit to me too.
Only question I have is did they come with the fixed Holland type rear sight, because this one has it?

I love the 18" barreled FAL's, my favorite length and I have 21", 18" and 16" inched barreled FAL's.
The 18"s just balance right to me and only lose about 75 FPS on my Chrono, plus they look better on a folder IMHO.

These things are history SCAR's not so much yet.

I have a SCAR H and love it too so don't take me wrong but if I could only have one I'd go with the FAL :)

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For that much cash I would want a type 2 receiver too though!
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks legit to me too.
Only question I have is did they come with the fixed Holland type rear sight, because this one has it?

I love the 18" barreled FAL's, my favorite length and I have 21", 18" and 16" inched barreled FAL's.
The 18"s just balance right to me and only lose about 75 FPS on my Chrono, plus they look better on a folder IMHO.

These things are history SCAR's not so much yet.

I have a SCAR H and love it too so don't take me wrong but if I could only have one I'd go with the FAL :)

View Quote

FN short-barrel folders came standard with the fixed 250m rear sight, although one could certainly place an order with other sight options, including the two-position protected sight (150m/250m) that was standard for the 50.61 and 50.64 and used on short-barrel rifles by other producers, and a tangent 200m-500m sight.  South Africa ordered 50.64s with the standard 200600m tangent sight and had the folder modified to match, so that would have been another option.  But as I said, the default is the fixed sight.

The 50.63 was available in both 436mm and 458mm barrel lengths, could be found in lightweight form, and also had other options available (Belgian contract had carry handles and fixed charging handles, for example, which were non-standard), and also came in bipod-cut and non-bipod-cut variants.

It should be noted that this one almost certainly is all-steel and does not have any hiduminium parts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For that much cash I would want a type 2 receiver too though!
View Quote

You'll be paying closer to double that amount in that case.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input. Tough decision on my hands as I was thinking SCAR17 before this thing popped up. Just so much $.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Bid a couple times but its through the roof. $3,425 and reserve not met. Wowzors. SCAR H with 13" barrel and good optic sounding pretty good right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Guys,

I won it for $3,500, would have been less but that was the reserve. Don't know if that's a decent deal or not. A lot of cash but I've been wanting one of these since 2003. It's a once in a lifetime buy for me and I did it. Seems like something that won't lose any value so not sure I could go wrong with it. I'm sure I'll be asking for help finding the correct bayonet or some other odds and ends soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
good deal! Glad you found one your grail guns!

Post pics when you get it
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guys,

I won it for $3,500, would have been less but that was the reserve. Don't know if that's a decent deal or not. A lot of cash but I've been wanting one of these since 2003. It's a once in a lifetime buy for me and I did it. Seems like something that won't lose any value so not sure I could go wrong with it. I'm sure I'll be asking for help finding the correct bayonet or some other odds and ends soon.

Thanks
View Quote

Please post some nice high quality photos if you can. That's a rare bird in FAL circles! I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Done good.  They ain't exactly falling out of trees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top