Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:16:33 PM EDT
Talk about frustrating. My dsa FAL carbine will not cycle with a can on, no matter the gas setting. I started it off and went all the way to fully open and everything in between. It tries to cycle but fails to completely extract the round resulting in a stovepipe.

Dsa told me the rifle is meant to run a can.

What the hell do I do??

**EDIT---
I'm using ZQI 147gr 7.62, aac 762sd, new mags, and the gas valve is open. No sand cuts in bolt. Also, the gun will run perfectly with no can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a thread here somewhere where they ran a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That makes absolutely no sense to me.  It seems like a suppressor should make it cycle more reliably not less.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You would think so right?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
A little bit more info: the rifle would eject the last round in the magazine fine. It would NOT eject if there were still rounds left.

I contacted DSA, hopefully I will hear back from them today and get some answers.

Update: DSA told me the FAL isn't meant to run with a suppressor. Basically said sorry, though noogies. Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
For the FAL to run reliably with a suppressor you have to modify the gas plug. Go to falfiles.com/forum and join there.  There are people there that will modify your gas plug for a reasonable cost.  Best to buy another plug and have it modified and save your original.  I do not have a suppressor for my FAL but I believe it is an over gas problem.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
LG45 gave you the right information.  Also, for your reading pleasure:

FAL Suppressor
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]

I am the guy that mods the plugs from FALfiles.

BUT, I have some questions about this situation.

Does the rifle function WITHOUT the suppressor installed?
If so, at what gas setting?

If adding the can makes it not properly cycle, there may be other issues to deal with before the plug.

As noted above, cans generally make the extraction MORE forceful, so unless this is somehow causing some kind of WAY overgassed scenario, I am not sure the plug mods will help.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
You can make them work but like everyone is saying you need a different gas plug. I have a full auto DSA OSW that runs just fine with a can. Swap out the gas plug and it should run just fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it runs fine with no can. I use setting "5" with ZQI 7.62 ammo. Haven't tried any other ammo yet. Had 0 issues on settings 4-6 with ZQI.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Stimpsonjcat was kind enough to mod a spare plug for me awhile back, and it has proved to be the answer for running a suppressor on my old DS prefix DSA short gas FAL. While not quite as quiet as my SIG 716, it's more fun.
Thank You, Stimpsonjcat!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
After more research and thought I decided to keep it suppressor free. In addition to the horrible has in my face the couple of rounds it did cycle, from what I understand the FALs tend to shoot themselves apart when suppressed (per Gunplumber at Arizona Response). I switched bake to the A2 brake and will continue to enjoy the gun as it is. I shoot my Tavor suppressed exclusivly and hope to aquire a G2 recon 308 next year to satisfy my quiet 308 needs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top