Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 10:36:05 AM EDT
What are your thoughts nowadays and what might one be worth?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I had was built on a Century unibrow receiver. It always worked and was more accurate than a number of FALs I've seen. Mine was inch cut. I should have kept that gun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Partly dependent on the receiver.  Some were made by CAI, some were Hesse, some were Imbels.

Some were pretty decent.  My one and only store bought FAL (meaning one I didn't build myself) was an STG58 kit on an Imbel GL receiver.  Worked well.  Didn't have a muzzle device.

If it shoots OK regardless of the make of the receiver, it should be worth at least $850.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok good to hear.  The one I'm looking at is a Century receiver inch pattern with unibrow ramp.  Looks really clean with 10 mags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok good to hear.  The one I'm looking at is a Century receiver inch pattern with unibrow ramp.  Looks really clean with 10 mags.
View Quote

10 inch mags are worth $250-$400 by themselves (OK, maybe not "worth" but that's what they'd bring).

I bought a unibrow R1A1 last fall. I couldn't get it to fire two rounds in succession. I polished on the feed ramp a bit, smoothed the edges on the rails and opened up the gap the magazines feed through and now the thing runs great. Also, running ammo through it helped a lot. I suspect that some of the Century guns were just really tight/new and needed to be wrung out some. That said, some judicious filing/polishing may be in order. Start digging through the threads on FAL Files and you'll see what others have done to get these to run,

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up getting a really good deal on the gun (at least I think so).  Everything seems to be in check (I'm completely new to FALs though so something may be over looked).  I took it to the range this last weekend and it wouldn't eject a round.  I closed the gas port to 3 and it still had issues so I closed it all the way on 0.  Now they eject every so often but most stove pipe.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ended up getting a really good deal on the gun (at least I think so).  Everything seems to be in check (I'm completely new to FALs though so something may be over looked).  I took it to the range this last weekend and it wouldn't eject a round.  I closed the gas port to 3 and it still had issues so I closed it all the way on 0.  Now they eject every so often but most stove pipe.  Any recommendations?
View Quote

My Century R1A1 (around 2005) had the same ejection issues, and the headspace was off, and had to have another locking shoulder installed. Ran fine after that. Could be you need more gas: check the gas port size, make sure the the gas tube is somewhat tight and has the pin installed, piston is correct diameter, not bent, kinda clean and drops free into the receiver with the spring removed, check that the gas plug is tight. BTW, mine took metric magazines, not inch. The metric mags are a lot more available and less expensive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
How can you tell which recover is which unibrow etc. Also how do you know which mags it takes?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Feed ramp should look like this.  A unibrow ramp wouldn't have the ridge in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone may have removed the gas tube without removing the pin first. Thereby stripping the threads and allowing gas to leak or more likely the pin is just missing and causing a gas leak. This was a common problem discussed on the FAL Files in regard to Century guns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Someone may have removed the gas tube without removing the pin first. Thereby stripping the threads and allowing gas to leak or more likely the pin is just missing and causing a gas leak. This was a common problem discussed on the FAL Files in regard to Century guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I had the same issue at CW3.  Left several targets on the rifle portion.  I finally deduced the same issue.  I bought a tube from Apex and sourced roll pins locally and it fixed it right up.  My tube was actually rotating and cutting off the gas port.
 Mine is fairly accurate horizontally but strings vertically when it gets hot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had read that over there in the Files.  I finally took the gun apart and what do you know the pin was missing and the tube was loose.  I read that a wire hanger could be cut to fit but the hole in mine is smaller so I cut a nail down to fit and staked it.  I took the time to polish the rails a bit and cleaned up the feed ramp.  I will hopefully get to test it soon and report back.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had read that over there in the Files.  I finally took the gun apart and what do you know the pin was missing and the tube was loose.  I read that a wire hanger could be cut to fit but the hole in mine is smaller so I cut a nail down to fit and staked it.  I took the time to polish the rails a bit and cleaned up the feed ramp.  I will hopefully get to test it soon and report back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the threads boogered?  If so, you probably have to replace the gas tube.  Se my post above.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are the threads boogered?  If so, you probably have to replace the gas tube.  Se my post above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The threads looked fine when I removed it but once I got the nail in place I didn't want to remove it again to inspect them closer.  I will hopefully get a range report soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top